Speculation: 2nd overall Bruins or Jets?

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, I couldn't find the answer.

If Boston wins in regulation or OT by 1 goal, who gets the tie breaker for 2nd overall?

Tied in head to head (both shootout winners) tied in row and goal differencial.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Whoever gets further in playoffs.

If they both get knocked out first round, or meet in the Final, I'm sure the NHL will think of some other benign stat to use to help determine it. Or they flip a coin like they do in the NFL sometimes.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This could also affect draft position. It has happened more than once in the draft order. It is resolved with a coin toss for that purpose. It is likely that would be the method they use to determine home ice as well.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
And if the Bruins win by a goal, the Jets/Bruins goal differential would be a tie?
Yes, if the Bruins win tonight by 1 in regulation or OT, they'll be in a perfect tie with the Jets.

1st tiebreaker is Points: 114 (.695)
2nd tiebreaker is ROW: 48
3rd tiebreaker is Head-to-Head points: 3
4th tiebreaker is Goal Differential: +59
There's no 5th tiebreaker listed.

So...
Bruins shootout win = Jets finish 2nd, Bruins finish 3rd.
Bruins regulation or OT win by 1 goal = tied
Bruins regulation win by 2+ goals = Bruins finish 2nd, Jets finish 3rd.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 3.48.06 PM.png

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage)
-not a factor regular season will be over

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
-a Boston win tonight is what sets up this entire scenario. A Boston win in regulation gives them 48ROW identical to the Jets

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs.
-Jets vs. Bruins have went to OT twice. Each won in a shootout

If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included.
-Both teams have played an equal number of games. one in each home town

If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
-not relevant. Only two teams are tied

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.
-Currently the Jets are +59, the Bruins +58. The win that sets up this scenario will have the Bruins up to at least +59

Thus if the Bruins win by two, they'd be 2nd.

Otherwise there is no remaining criteria. This could easily be an exact tie.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Interesting. I wonder how they'd decide home ice advantage if we meet in the Stanley cup. Seems like a big oversight to not stipulate a final tie breaker as a coin toss. Just doesnt make sense to leave it in a way that could end in a tie.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
IMO after goal differential the next tiebreaker should be even strength goal differential . I think it would be pretty rare to be tied in both overall and even strength differential.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, if the Bruins win tonight by 1 in regulation or OT, they'll be in a perfect tie with the Jets.

1st tiebreaker is Points: 114 (.695)
2nd tiebreaker is ROW: 48
3rd tiebreaker is Head-to-Head points: 3
4th tiebreaker is Goal Differential: +59
There's no 5th tiebreaker listed.

So...
Bruins shootout win = Jets finish 2nd, Bruins finish 3rd.
Bruins regulation or OT win by 1 goal = tied
Bruins regulation win by 2+ goals = Bruins finish 2nd, Jets finish 3rd.
This is nice and clear. Thanks.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Tie Breaker rule is DUMB and makes no sense.

Jets ........ 43 Wins (Reg).......... 5 OT wins ... 4 SO wins (52 Wins)
Bruins ... 41 Wins (Reg) ........ 6 OT wins ... 3 SO Wins (50 Wins)

The team with the most wins in regulation time should get it. What's the difference between playing 3V3 or shootout both are skills competitions.

This rule needs to be changed or use the 3 points for regulation win and 2 points for OT/SO win and 1 loser point.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So now the # 1 team and the #2 teams in the league might play each other in round 2 . I think the NHL should go back to 1 vs 8 format again .

Reactions: thereturn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad