Line Combos: 2nd line has been very poor so far

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
1st have played well for exactly 3 games. They have not been consistent at all. Maybe try switching Bozak and Kadri for a bit?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2nd line still has the best possession numbers on the team, by a good margin.

goals will come.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
1st have played well for exactly 3 games. They have not been consistent at all. Maybe try switching Bozak and Kadri for a bit?

That doesn't really fix the 2nd line, it just reshapes the top line which OP claims is already working fine.
JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bozak-Winnik

Switching JVR and Lupul gets you closer to the desired solution (improving the 2nd line)
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Winnik

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Its been SEVEN games. the other lines are working. why mess with those lines to help a line were not even SURE is broken because its 7 games... be patient and at game 15 lets talk about this..

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
It's still early, so I'm not worried about their production. However, I wouldn't mind seeing JVR and Lupul switch up. Maybe Lupul and Kessel can click like they did a few years back. Don't think we've seen much of JVR and Kadri together yet.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Try Holland between Lupul and Winnik, they sat Gardiner for a few games he came back and has been playing well, so sit Kadri, see what happens, or have him play fewer minutes on the 4th line.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That doesn't really fix the 2nd line, it just reshapes the top line which OP claims is already working fine.
JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bozak-Winnik

Switching JVR and Lupul gets you closer to the desired solution (improving the 2nd line)
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Winnik

It could fix the second line, you don't know how Bozak and Lupul would fair together.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lupul Kadri/Bozak Kessel
JVR Santorelli Clarkson
Komarov Kadri/Bozak Winnik

I really hesitate to separate Komarov and Clarkson. They seem to have a chemistry going on the forecheck, and just in general.

JVR and Kessel have chemistry, but I would consider running Lupul with Bozak and Kessel, and running JVR with Kadri for a bit. Just to try and shake up that 2nd line.

Splitting up the two American phenoms may not seem like an amazing idea, but Lupul and Kessel have had chemistry in the past.

Although, then again, so have Lupul and Kadri....

I'd also try Holland on 2nd line wing for a bit, but I might be alone in that thought.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
My vote would be to wait until Booth is back from injury and see what we have then.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Booth
Komarov - Santorelli - Clarkson
Ashton/Frattin/Panik - Holland - Winnick

Give that a few games (assuming no further injuries), then start making some decisions on trades/callups/line juggling/etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lupul started the season very well, if he can get back that form, the second line will be better, if he goes the 2nd line goes.

Winnik has actually played well of late.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kadri put up his best numbers when he was a sheltered 3C so I'd be behind Santorelli centering the 2nd line.

That said, I don't want to break up that third line.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Oh ya forgot about Booth.

I'd leave the lines alone for now. Plug Booth in there when he gets back. He might not be the best option but will be more effective than Ashton+Frattin, probably even Kozun too.

Allows Winnik to shift down to the 4th line and anchor that line.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
If we do end up playing the sens tonight, even with the shootings, then it's exactly what Kadri/Lupul need to get going, both have been particularly good in Ottawa.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There is nothing wrong with this line - they are are going to score (just a matter of time)

Let them play (Lupul and Kadri) and please do not keep shuffling this line

We need some one better than Winnik on this line

Winnik is very useful but he is not a 2nd liner

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kadri put up his best numbers when he was a sheltered 3C so I'd be behind Santorelli centering the 2nd line.

That said, I don't want to break up that third line.

I was for this earlier, but I do not want to break up the #3 line, they are playing too well.

Maybe the Santorelli line should be just referred to as the #2 line now on.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
I really hesitate to separate Komarov and Clarkson. They seem to have a chemistry going on the forecheck, and just in general.

JVR and Kessel have chemistry, but I would consider running Lupul with Bozak and Kessel, and running JVR with Kadri for a bit. Just to try and shake up that 2nd line.

Splitting up the two American phenoms may not seem like an amazing idea, but Lupul and Kessel have had chemistry in the past.

Although, then again, so have Lupul and Kadri....

I'd also try Holland on 2nd line wing for a bit, but I might be alone in that thought.

You're right, it would mess with the chemistry, but would only really force the new third line to break new ground. Lupul and Kessel have had chemistry in the past, so it isn't much of a stretch to think the could find it again.

Santorelli and Clarkson have enough chemistry together to keep the grind game going, and JVR could provide the best compliment as far as offensive production to that line goes. Big body, nose for the net, plays in the dirty areas, great garbage man.

Komarov and Winnik are both responsible enough that they could provide, if not decent offensive zone time, solid enough defensive coverage to shelter Bozak/Kadri.

I'm not sure if swapping JVR and Lupul would be enough of a shake up to significantly increase production.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Winnik - Clarkson
Komorov - Kadri - Santorelli
Panik - Holland - Frattin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad