2nd half surge

edgeoftheearth

Aug 12, 2016
Do the Sens have what it takes within the current locker room to go on an extended winning streak and either make 1 of the 2 wildcard spots or sneak into 3rd place in the Atlantic?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What happened in here? This thread makes no sense. Seems like the must be a lot of moderation happening.

OP edited his post after the first few replies, which had the likely unintended side effect of making a bunch of posters responding to his original text look outright loonie talking about Melnyk and the lebreton stuff without being promted.

Given the severe 180 the OP did, I'm going to delete everything related to his OP.

On topic (well, the current one): A 2nd half surge is possible, but unlikely. It would probably be smarter to take advantage of the disaster that occured and aim for a high draft pick.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Probably not.

But.....it does mean something if the team starts playing well and makes a run to try and get a wildcard. I know a top 2 draft pick is a great dream to have, but it's also good to see the guys start playing better, too. A single draft pick, especially a defenseman like Dahlin (even if he is generational), isn't enough to completely turn around a team. You need your core guys playing better.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
They have the talent, they just need the coach to allow adapt his system as it looks like every other coach is not surprised by Ottawa any more. Make some changes, I find it crazy to think that you designed something to cap out at a certain level.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Unlikely, I think this season is over, but it's not like stuff like this hasn't happened before. It's hard to sit and watch them play though and then go ahead and picture these guys doing a 180 and tear it up. I mean Anderson played lights out last night and it didn't even matter.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They can definitely make a push they have done it before

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Statistics and probabilities dictate that this season is done. A couple of teams need to completely tank while the Sens need to go on a huge run.

Retool the team now and make plans for next year. I’d pay to watch the young guns from Belleville develop rather than this mess. At least in a rebuild, there’s hope.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just let them play, don't blow it up and start fresh next year. Burrows will be gone. Maybe Smith and Pageau. Next year I can see White and Formenton on the team, and those guys are taking their spots. If we get Dahlin, it could change the make up of the blue line. Even without, Phaneuf would be bought out and it will further advance the youth movement. Faster, fresher legs. More enthusiasm.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
There will be no surge. Organization is a total tire fire right now. Entering a very dark period and the folks running the ship are clueless.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We need one of the 5 D in the top 10 draft prospects list

(Dahlin, Boqvist, Dobson , Hughes or McIssac in that order)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's probably only a handful of teams in this league who AREN'T capable of going on a strong surge.

With that being said, the problem isn't so much the points (10 points out the wildcard spot), but the number of teams you have to climb. Ottawa currently has 6 teams they have to leapfrog in the next 49 games, and that's virtually impossible to do in this league where 3 point-games become so much more prevalent in the second half of the season.

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just let them play, don't blow it up and start fresh next year. Burrows will be gone. Maybe Smith and Pageau. Next year I can see White and Formenton on the team, and those guys are taking their spots. If we get Dahlin, it could change the make up of the blue line. Even without, Phaneuf would be bought out and it will further advance the youth movement. Faster, fresher legs. More enthusiasm.
Where is Burrows going? Why would they get rid of Pageau? If they buy Phaneuf out it would be an excellent sign .. don't expect it. Right now it's hard to be positive.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe a dribble. We need a #1C who can dictate the pace of the game. We have that guy on defense right now but we need a centerman who can complement that. It has become obvious Duchene is no upgrade. Brassard and Stone have cooled off.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Can never count the team out but unfortunately I doubt it. Let's chalk this up as a lost season, get Karlsson re-signed and get a high draft pick and be back to normal next season.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
To get to the 93 points it usually takes to make the playoffs, the Sens would need to go 31-17-1.

Obviously not impossible, but very unlikely.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I look forward to the inevitable 2nd half surge and the trade deadline acquisition that will contribute to it, which will promptly push us out of the top 5 and possibly out of the top 10.

Happened in 2009 with the Campoli/Comrie trade, 2011 with the Anderson trade, 2014 with the Hemsky trade, and 2016 with the Phaneuf trade.

For whatever reason, Sens management can't commit to the tank. Always have to make a move to try to push us up the standings in a season that is already lost.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Obviously it won't happen until it does but I think we have all made our peace with the fact that this season is essentially down the drain.

Let's just hope we don't end up with the 11th overall pick!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad