2nd Annual HF Chat Mock Draft - RESULTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenjackson

Feb 26, 2004
Nova Scotia
thestonedkoala said:
This...this was crap for Minnesota.

Well, they got the best goalie, but they already had no need for a goalie and would have to trade. I would have drafted (and was thinking at the time) Wolski or Stafford.

thestonedkoala

Exactly Glen, you know the system better then anyone. Minnesota doesn't need defensemen or goaltenders in the top rounds.

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
Chimaera said:
Montoya!?!?!?!?!

Come... not with Oulette and Gherson still in the system.

maybe, but i doubt it.

Washington also dealt two of their finer goaltending prospects in the system, sending Stana to L.A. and Daigneault to Colorado. IMO, Montoya > Gherson and since they had four first rounder, using one for a goaltender isn't that bad an idea. Especially when Montoya was probably the best player available in the draft at 22nd.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
Pens4ever said:
Did anyone from the Pens end up showing after I left? Just curious.

i would definately have to question both of the second round picks especially the #31 pick with kaspar, etc available.

funk is ok, but seeing how deep the pens system is in defenseman, i would still like to see another forward taken here and wait for a dman until the third round (although Andy Rodgers would have been a nice steal here)

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
tripledekehockey said:
i would definately have to question both of the second round picks

No one from the Pens showed up after, so both of their picks were done by consensus. Salomonsson was very highly rated before coming down with his injury, so he might pan out good. As for Michael Funk, well, it was late in the draft and people weren't taking the whole "democratic vote" thing as seriously. If I was Pittsburgh, I'd have probably taken Tesliuk, but Funk isn't a bad leave.

thestonedkoala

I'm going to strangle both Ruutu and Rinkrat whenever I find them...

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
Darcy Wakaluk said:
No one from the Pens showed up after, so both of their picks were done by consensus. Salomonsson was very highly rated before coming down with his injury, so he might pan out good. As for Michael Funk, well, it was late in the draft and people weren't taking the whole "democratic vote" thing as seriously. If I was Pittsburgh, I'd have probably taken Tesliuk, but Funk isn't a bad leave.

i have a read a decent amount about salomonsson and didnt mean to take anything away from his talent, but IMO, i would have taken one of a couple players that were taken behind him, no big deal though

forgot about Tseliuk and seeing how he was taken right after funk, tseliuk would have been a steal there too considering he is projected in the top half of the second round

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Minny takes Schwarz? Hey, whoever was the Minny GM here, do you know who Josh Harding is?

Also, sorry I missed the draft. I was at the lake, and though I expected to be home for the draft, alcohol and it's effects prevented that.

But, whoever made the picks, why Zajac over Shultz, Tesliuk, and McGrath? I haven't heard anything on Zajac, so maybe that's a good pick, but someone like McGrath would've fit well in the organization.

BTW, what position does Zajac play? And is he a more offensive type, or defensive.

thestonedkoala

Zajac I believe is a center, can't say if he's offensive or a defensive forward...

Hehehe I know Ducks! I know...GRRRR

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
nomorekids said:
i was just thinknig, "who in their right mind would give up scott hartnell and a swap of firsts just to move up to sixth?"

i'd be pleased with ES, if i were you :)

The only reason I made that move, is because of Hartnell's already had 2 or so concussions in his first 3 years, and thats a bit alarming to me.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Seven_Nation_Army said:
The only reason I made that move, is because of Hartnell's already had 2 or so concussions in his first 3 years, and thats a bit alarming to me.

and he's also shown signs of being our top scorers. the concussions weren't the product of run-of-the-mill hits. one...he had his head smashed into a post by Reed Low...two...he was kneed in th ehead...then had his head crushed against the boards by Vishnevski. It's basically...trading a proven sixth overall...for an unproven sixth in a pretty weak draft.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Mizral said:
Hell of a day today. Took 3 hours, longer than I expected, but oh well. Here are the results:

http://draft.degroat.net/

I can live with Smid in the first round for the Blues, but in the second, I think I'd have gone with Shantz or Dave Brown instead of McGrath. I know McGrath is supposed to be all that and a bag o' chips, but if that's the case, why does CSS rank him 36th in North America?

If I were taking a forward, I'd have gone with Juraj Gracik or Zdenek Bahensky. The Blues have enough undersized forwards already; the 5-11, 175-pound McGrath isn't an answer to their forward needs, IMO.

PrussianBlue :blues

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I really don't like the trades or players drafted. I wouldn't attempt to get the LA pick unless Thelen, O'Neill or Schremp is on the table. I also wouldn't have traded up to 22 just to pick Montoya...I don't think he's all that much better of a prospect than Daigneault to be frank. Why trade away two great goaltending prospects and pick one who is less developed?? With the way the draft order went down, I just would have kept our picks and selected Ovechkin, Fransson, Lyamin, Tesliuk and Ogorodinikov.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
George Bachul said:
Edmonton coming out of the draft with Radulov, Bolland, Dubnyk and Schultz is a very fine draft indeed.

Don't forget hartnell *laughs*. Man, if the actual draft goes down like that, edmonton fans are gonna have the biggest party of all time.

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
George Bachul said:
Edmonton coming out of the draft with Radulov, Bolland, Dubnyk and Schultz is a very fine draft indeed.

I'd say Edmonton and Vancouver came out of the mock draft in the best shape. Edmonton had the leg up when it came to picks, and Vancouver made some great additions to their team by trading picks. The Washington team did a good job of orchestrating trades, but I agree with the Captain, I would have taken Tesliuk over Fistric.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
Minny takes Schwarz? Hey, whoever was the Minny GM here, do you know who Josh Harding is?

Also, sorry I missed the draft. I was at the lake, and though I expected to be home for the draft, alcohol and it's effects prevented that.

But, whoever made the picks, why Zajac over Shultz, Tesliuk, and McGrath? I haven't heard anything on Zajac, so maybe that's a good pick, but someone like McGrath would've fit well in the organization.

BTW, what position does Zajac play? And is he a more offensive type, or defensive.

I made the picks for the Ducks. I knew O'Neill is a defineite defensive need for us so I picked him. I wasnt too sure on the 2nd round pick, Zajac plays center and I was deciding between a few people, saw he was rated high in the CSB rankings so i went with him. I didnt really have that much time to do research, I was kinda thrown into the draft since none of you were there and they knew I was a Ducks fan. I was there to watch, didnt expect to be picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad