2nd Annual HF Chat Mock Draft - Draft Order & Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The Date of the Mock Draft has been changed to 3 PM EST/Noon PST Sunday May the 23rd. I've sent out private messages to all the lead GM's notifying them of this change.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Decent trade for both teams.

Ottawa trades more good youth but atleast this time is landing a truly impact player in Gonchar for the youth and not fillers like Varada and Smolinski.

Hannu is going to be a great goalie to, and Boston can't go wrong with 22 year old Volchenkov and an extra 1st rndr.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Herby said:
Decent trade for both teams.

Ottawa trades more good youth but atleast this time is landing a truly impact player in Gonchar for the youth and not fillers like Varada and Smolinski.

Hannu is going to be a great goalie to, and Boston can't go wrong with 22 year old Volchenkov and an extra 1st rndr.

I have nothing to do with this draft, but how is this a decent trade for Boston? They traded Morrisonn, a 1st and 2nd rounder for Gonchar, and I would say that's just about the same has Volchenkov, Thompson, and Ottawa's 1st round pick. But then there adding there best prospect in Toivonen, to what, sweetin the deal? That's nuts.

Volchenkov is a beauty hockey player no doubt about it, but Stuart will most likely come in and be able to do what Volchenkov does in the future, possibly be better too.

Ugly trade for the B's...

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Radek Bonk is available for the best first round pick I can acquire, but all offers will be considered.

Hannu Toivonen, Martin Prusek/Patrick Lalime are available as some sort of combo, for a significant upgrade in goal.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
ShadowL said:
I have nothing to do with this draft, but how is this a decent trade for Boston? They traded Morrisonn, a 1st and 2nd rounder for Gonchar, and I would say that's just about the same has Volchenkov, Thompson, and Ottawa's 1st round pick. But then there adding there best prospect in Toivonen, to what, sweetin the deal? That's nuts.

Volchenkov is a beauty hockey player no doubt about it, but Stuart will most likely come in and be able to do what Volchenkov does in the future, possibly be better too.

Boston made that trade in an effort to win the Stanley Cup in 04, and when they traded for him, Gonchar had the rest of this past season, plus this season on his contract. So he was under contract for 2 playoffs

since Gonchar is eligible for UFA following the 05 season his value is much less, and is only under contract for 1 playoff now.

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
ShadowL said:

The difference is, the Bruins got a season+ of Gonchar - they were going for the cup, the Senators are only getting the rights to a full season.

Also, when the Bruins traded for him he was in high demand, and that drove up his value.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Another trade made:

To San Jose:

Buffalo's 2nd round pick (#43rd overall)
Taylor Pyatt
Henrik Tallinder

To Buffalo:
San Jose's 1st round pick (#28th overall)
Niko Dimitrakos
Jim Fahey

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Flame_Star_Devil said:
The difference is, the Bruins got a season+ of Gonchar - they were going for the cup, the Senators are only getting the rights to a full season.

Also, when the Bruins traded for him he was in high demand, and that drove up his value.

What's actually going on here is, after trading for Gonchar quarter of a season ago they are now trading him for just about the samething they spent to get him in the first place, but giving up there best prospect too. I don't think the Gonchar trade was that bad of a mistake. He's a #1 defenceman, the Bruins have needed one for a while now, they finally got him, and he's got more seasons left in him, so why trade him? Yes the playoffs didn't go well, but that trade was not just for the playoffs, it was also for the future of the team, they plan on signing this guy long term.

In this trade they trade a #1 defenceman they've wanted for awhile, and there best prospect whos value should go only higher in the future, for, Volchenkov a defenceman not needed in Beantown though he'd be nice to have, Thompson, who really cares, and #23 pick. The pick is really the B's only hope of making this a fair deal at all, but at #23, it's a crap shoot.

The B's definitely could have gotten better for that package...

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Mizral said:
Another trade made:

To San Jose:

Buffalo's 2nd round pick (#43rd overall)
Taylor Pyatt
Henrik Tallinder

To Buffalo:
San Jose's 1st round pick (#28th overall)
Niko Dimitrakos
Jim Fahey

Good trade for both teams but I give the edge to Buffalo because they move up from 43 to 28 and get Nik Dimitrakos, I like him alot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Stars are looking to unload a couple of older but solid veterans in Boucher and Arnott, looking for good draft picks or prospects coming back.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Another trade has been made:

To Montreal

Jason Arnott
Vojtech Polak
Columbus' 2nd round pick (34th overall)

To Dallas

Marcel Hossa
Corey Locke
Montreal's 1st round pick (18th overall)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Why I did it (Dallas)

Arnott is up for RFA and must be qualified at $4 million a year to retain his rights, it just simply wasn't in the Stars budget to make this offer, especially with the unceretainty of the CBA and already being bogged down by large contracts.

Trading Polak was tough, but we feel we can greatly improve our future with Hossa, Locke and the additional 1st round pick.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Good on ya herby.

The Kings are willing to deal any or all of the following for a top flight center prospect or to move up on draft day if the player they want is still available. They will also package some of these assets to get a solid young goalie (caron, noronen etc).

Aron Miller
Eric Belanger
Joe Corvo
Ryan Flinn
Yanic Lehoux
Martin Straka
The 11th pick this year.
Their 4rth round pick this year.

Now, all of these lads likely wouldn't go at once but, I am willing to take offers on each of them and possibly others on the team. Any interested parties should pm me.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Mizral said:
--------------------------------------------------

To Montreal:

Jason Arnott
Vojtech Polak
Columbus' 2nd round pick (#34th overall)

To Dallas:

Marcel Hossa
Corey Locke
Montreal's 1st round pick (#18th overall)

--------------------------------------------------

Who the hell manages the Stars here?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Modano = Dud said:
Who the hell manages the Stars here?

I am running the Stars here since there are pretty much no Stars fans on these boards.

I know you will hate the trade since you love Arnott, but he has to be qualified at 4 million a year which hurts his trade value in a big way. Many others asked about him but his potential salary was a major turnoff to most teams, don't expect to see players of Arnott's caliber making 4 mill a year in the new CBA.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Herby said:
I am running the Stars here since there are pretty much no Stars fans on these boards.

I know you will hate the trade since you love Arnott, but he has to be qualified at 4 million a year which hurts his trade value in a big way. Many others asked about him but his potential salary was a major turnoff to most teams, don't expect to see players of Arnott's caliber making 4 mill a year in the new CBA.

Hell I don't love Arnott, but his value for the Stars is quite underrated. 4 Million a year for a guy that fills so many holes in your line-up is not out of the question. The Stars are in a much better financial situation then you realise, they dump about 25 million in salary in the upcoming off-season and Turgeon as well as Modano's contract all run out next season or the season there after. But, the value in the trade just isn't there. The Stars passed on Locke several times (5 or 6 times to be exact), he's small and would not fill a need with Naurov, Kapanen, Hagos and Lundqvist down the middle. Same goes for Marcel Hossa, who at LW has competiton from Morrow, Ott, Polak, Jokinen and Miettinen, not going to happen. It's by far our biggest strenght in the organisation. The pick swap results in a 16 spot upgrade, but to tell you the truth, the difference in potential or eventual impact between the 16th and 34th is not as big as it was in previous drafts. I honestly feel that, besides the picks, the Stars are giving up the two best players in the deal. If they trade Jason (trading a prospect like Polak is IMO totally out of the question for a rebuilding franchise lacking youth), you better expect them to land someone with a more secure future. Not gambles like Locke or Hossa. If you really feel you "can greatly improve our future with Hossa, Locke and the additional 1st round pick", then good for you, but in that case I would definitely question your knowledge on the Stars and their situation. I know it's all in good fun and all, but, this trade wouldn't be in the Stars interest.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Just so you know, I changed the Hawks 48th overall pick to the Rangers - which is correct. Rangers got it from the Habs in the Kovalev deal. Sorry for the misunderstanding, as I understand Punchy and Fedz had a deal involving that pick going down.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Mizral said:
Since the Cup isn't won yet, you'll just have to deal with that. As of the regular season completion, they were picking 30th.

But since Detroit is out, they cannot be #30, that will be Cup winner.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Tommorrow morning I'll make the final adjustments for the draft. Please note the draft starts Sunday May 23rd (tommorrow or today, depending on when you're reading this)

NOON PST / 3 PM EST

Please be there on time, or better yet, early to catch all the trade talk before the actual draft starts.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Mizral said:
Tommorrow morning I'll make the final adjustments for the draft. Please note the draft starts Sunday May 23rd (tommorrow or today, depending on when you're reading this)

NOON PST / 3 PM EST

Please be there on time, or better yet, early to catch all the trade talk before the actual draft starts.

True mate. We have dealt (rgrs kngs) Eric Belanger for the 48th pick in this years draft.

Anyone else having trouble with chat? It worked for me yesterday though it were empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad