GDT: #2A, Wed., Sep. 20: NYI at Flyers split squads (Allentown, PA)/Win 3-2 (OT)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That was manning going down to block the shot on the third period tying goal right? Leaves his man wide open so Morin has to come over and help. He's not a good player.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Vokoun randomly flopping to the ice is the greatest damned thing.

The GIF is one of the best of all time:

lolhockey.gif

Total chaos and hilarity.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Vokoun randomly flopping to the ice is the greatest damned thing.
Forget the flopping, he looks like someone beamed him Star Trek style, made sure he was rotated 180 degrees, and he's trying to figure out what the hell just happened, while not moving for like a whole second. He's standing/resting the way goalies stand in the middle of a play stoppage. The overhead does it the most justice imo.

jyHPOfO.jpg

And yes, it is the best thing ever.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
How did Bunnaman play tonight?
Thought I saw him listed to play

Thanks

I thought he held his own when he was on the ice. I would like to see a little a little more of Bunny in camp but the OHL season is starting tomorrow.
I have a fleeting suspicion that Bunny could be a casualty, but I hope I'm wrong. Bunnaman had a standout season last year in the OHL so hopefully he's rewarded with a longer look and stays a little longer in camp.

Was above 50% in possession stats and played 15.30 TOI with 3.18 of that on the PP tonite.
Bunnaman only had 5 shifts that were over a minute in duration. His longest shift was his last shift (2.13) at the end of the game when the Flyers were pressing.

Last edited:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
A Patrick play I really liked came after Morin iced the puck after that PK/trapped in zone. Team gained the redline and dumped it, and everyone went to change...except Patrick. He went for the puck and fought two guys for it, giving time to complete the change.

We didn't end up making it into sustained offensive pressure, but that kind of play can create that and help lead to goals.

Agree, that was an excellent play.

Here's the video showing Patrick occupying the Islanders until we completed the change.

BTW Beef, I dig your homage to Warren Z. He was (and still is) one of the best.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I haven't seen Rubtsov mentioned yet. He had a pretty decent game. It would have been nice if he had better linemates, but Rubtsov still managed to stand out a few times during the game.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Agree, that was an excellent play.

Here's the video showing Patrick occupying the Islanders until we completed the change.

Thanks for that, Foggster - I didn't get to watch the game, but that's great to see - unselfish, hard-working, thoughtful hockey. Me likey. Also, I like that his groin remains unexploded.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I haven't seen Rubtsov mentioned yet. He had a pretty decent game. It would have been nice if he had better linemates, but Rubtsov still managed to stand out a few times during the game.

He did. Although I thought Twar and CMac played fine on his line, limited as they are skill-wise. CMac especially is a more than solid vet for a 19 year old to play with. Thought he spent a sizable chunk of time with Laberge on his line as the game progressed. That's a different story.

Tonight showed the difference between Laberge and Rubtsov, two players who you'd think should be at a similar juncture. German was definitely physically overmatched and not yet at the level, but all the stuff he does well popped up in spurts -- compete, forechecking, nifty stickhandling, good reads, subtle plays -- and he played engaged. He looked like Rubtsov. He'll get sent down tomorrow I presume, but he played well tonight in limited minutes considering and showcased himself well going into next camp. Laberge too was in over his head and physically outmatched. But he might as well have been taking a date ice skating.

NAK's name wasn't mentioned really either. I was hoping for a bit more from him given his pro experience, though he flashed his skating and puck strength a few times in the later parts of the game. I don't know how long he's been practicing though because he's been sick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Keep in perspective that it was a split squad game.
Starting today, kids will face deeper teams as the guys without a shot get sent down, and we'll get a better read.

So Weise is this year's scapegoat?

Don't know what you expect from him, but during the stretch I watched he was the only Flyer who consistently went to the net and set up screens. In today's NHL, it's awfully hard to score without either a breakaway or someone willing to take punishment in front of the net.

Oh yeah, nice pass to Leier for the first goal.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I don't really feel the need to **** on Weise. At least when he's not putting up points he's not a terrible player getting completely dominated for consecutive shifts like the morons last year.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
It's not even so much that he's awful. He's just very mediocre. It's that Hak's been leaning on him the way he leaned on the twins.
he was the only Flyer who consistently went to the net and set up screens. In today's NHL, it's awfully hard to score without either a breakaway or someone willing to take punishment in front of the net.
Which is fine but pointless in 3-on-3, where he appears to have been given top priority in both OTs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't take player usage seriously in a split squad game.

It could be a look see, it could be a reward for a guy who does the dirty work (i.e., he'd never be on a 3 on 3 in a real game).

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I guess for Weise, it is just that he is pretty average overall. That's nice that he goes to the net, but you have players like Simmonds, Lindbolm, etc who go to the net but do other things that make them a lot more valuable.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

The KHL officialy requested the NHL to explain the situation of Valeri Vasiliev who played for Flyers, he has valid KHL contract with Severstal. Per KHL rules, a player with valid KHL contract can not attend NHL training camp or play NHL regular season games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Heh. I wish he were on the team instead of the actual #73, Maxim Lamarche.

It's not even so much that he's awful. He's just very mediocre. It's that Hak's been leaning on him the way he leaned on the twins.Which is fine but pointless in 3-on-3, where he appears to have been given top priority in both OTs.

The Flyers started OT with Lindblom-Patrick-Ghost, as they should have. In a split squad game full of AHL and CHL players, I really can't understand complaints about Weise replacing Lindblom as the winger when Lindblom got off for a line change. This is also his first preseason game, so I don't know what you mean by "both OTs".

Weise is in the bottom 6 bubble with Raffl, Read, Laughton, and Lehtera. It's hard to say he's a favorite of Hak's after getting healthy scratched 15 times last season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

The KHL officialy requested the NHL to explain the situation of Valeri Vasiliev who played for Flyers, he has valid KHL contract with Severstal. Per KHL rules, a player with valid KHL contract can not attend NHL training camp or play NHL regular season games.

Pretty funny.

Lamarche mistaken for Vasiliev somehow in box-score.

Sevasterstal+Vasiliev make a joke about it.

KHL get knickers in a twist.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Pretty funny.

Lamarche mistaken for Vasiliev somehow in box-score.

Sevasterstal+Vasiliev make a joke about it.

KHL get knickers in a twist.

It seems to be the numbers. Hart was mistaken for Tomek because of their numbers. Even though I have no idea how numbers were assigned to them in the first place?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
NAK's name wasn't mentioned really either. I was hoping for a bit more from him given his pro experience, though he flashed his skating and puck strength a few times in the later parts of the game. I don't know how long he's been practicing though because he's been sick.

I thought he really flashed his skating ability. At one point he chased a loose puck into the O-zone and was really flying. I think it may have eventually lead to a decent chance too. His speed surprised me last night.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
This is also his first preseason game, so I don't know what you mean by "both OTs".
Well my stream died for the other OT but I swear I read on here people complaining about Weise being put out for it, as short as it was. Maybe I remembered the name wrong. Anyway assuming he was out in the last one early on, along with a similar situation this time, would have been the source of my complaining.

I also thought I saw him getting lots of big PP1 minutes last night.

Even if I were right about these things, I wouldn't say it's a big deal as early as it is. Just a little worrying given Hakstol's history with VV & BM. Sort of a "oh no, here we go, all over again".

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
One player I will give some credit too that has looked good surprisingly has been Lehtera. Has made some good plays with the puck, tracking back, etc. Hey if he can turn it on, only a huge positive for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad