Post-Game Talk: #29| Hurricanes at FLYERS | Sat., Dec. 13, 2014

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
91-92 points would give the Flyers a ~50:50 chance of making the playoffs the way things are right now.

11-13-5 for 27 points right now in 29 games.

53 games left.

For 91 points need 64 in 53.

32-21-0
31-20-2
30-19-4
29-18-6
28-17-8
27-16-10

For 92 points need 65 in 53.

32-20-1
31-19-3
30-18-5
29-17-7
28-16-9
27-15-11

One good thing is the schedule favors them the rest of the way. They have yet to play teams like the Sabres or Sens (3 each), they have 4 more against the Canes, 3 more against the Pens (who they play well against), 7 games against the Leafs and Caps (where they can gain ground), etc.

After Tues...they only have one game left against each of Det, TB, Montreal, and Rangers. They have also already gotten past LA/ANA.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With all the struggles starting out, they've settled down and have three solid lines, even Umberger, who's pretty much useless, can at least go into corners and set screens for Couts and Read. If Laughton can play like this on a regular basis, scoring will not be an issue.

Problem is they just don't have a good defense, and there's no solution on the short-term horizon, Hagg and Alt need seasoning, Ghost needs to get healthy, stronger and some AHL time, Morin and Sanheim might push to make the team next year but are more likely candidates two years from now. The Russian probably would need a year in the AHL as well. So we're stuck with what we have, and I don't think it makes much difference whether you put Grossman (though he actually is skating better than he has in 2-3 years, almost had a nifty move), Schenn or MDZ and his mind farts out there.

But if we solidify the forward lines this year (swap out Leier for Umberger or something like that next year, put Cousins with PEB and Rinaldo?), you'll have the offense to go with a gradually improving defense the next three seasons.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Always fun watching them beat up on garbage. That's why I think people dreaming of a top three pick are off-base. This team likely isn't making the playoffs, but they are far better than the bottom of the barrel in this league. Too much talent to finish at the bottom. I thought they had a shot at top three in the division heading into the year, then it was a good chance for the WC, now I think they will finish probably somewhere around 10-11 in the conference.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are they letting Umberger keep that assist?

Hopefully, let it raise his trade value.

The fact that Nicklas Grossmann was able to toe drag around defenders more than one time really does tell you how bad the Hurricanes are.

AFTeRMaTH*

That was their best game of the season. It was Carolina though. Very happy for Laughton and love the fact that he scored his first in the alternate jersey.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Lot of room on the ice today.. Flyers scored their 5th Goal with over 9 minutes left in the 2nd. Basically shut the offense down after that. I think Berube owes the fans some more excitement.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lot of room on the ice today.. Flyers scored their 5th Goal with over 9 minutes left in the 2nd. Basically shut the offense down after that. I think Berube owes the fans some more excitement.

The game was over. They've been using forwards like Giroux & Couturier over the 20 minute mark nearly every game thus far. They don't get many oppurtunities to roll all lines & rest players up that often.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Nice seeing the team win finally. The performance lately has a lot more to do with swapping Lecavalier's role with Laughton then anything else, by far I think. Gives us three stable lines to roll that all have scoring ability and three solid guys at the most important position in front of the goalie (or at least the most important forward position). Lecavalier being expected to be a top nine center was way, way more of a problem then most people admitted or thought. I think at least. Rest of our schedule is lighter too so as long as there's no stupidity on the part of management/Berube on sending Laughton down or trying to force Lecavalier into an important role again (or even the roster really) I think we are a decent team. I'm not sure if they're that smart though.

Laughton is amazing though. Has more offensive talent then I thought he could translate to the NHL. By the looks of things.

One good thing is the schedule favors them the rest of the way. They have yet to play teams like the Sabres or Sens (3 each), they have 4 more against the Canes, 3 more against the Pens (who they play well against), 7 games against the Leafs and Caps (where they can gain ground), etc.

After Tues...they only have one game left against each of Det, TB, Montreal, and Rangers. They have also already gotten past LA/ANA.

Just as a general precaution, let's not start thinking a bad team means easy wins. We've already lost against NJ once, the Rangers three times, Columbus twice, Washington once, Boston once, San Jose once, and Florida once. Those are all borderline playoff teams or worse currently.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The Canes announcers just said that Jordan Staal was the best player for either team during our last Pens play-off series. Holy homers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad