Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Tokarski to a 2 year deal ($725k/$150k)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
For the expansion draft. It's really not that complicated.

I mean, that much is obvious.

What's far less obvious is how the workload is going to break down.

Hutton and Ullmark are the NHL duo.
Tokarski is an AHL netminder, and so is JJ at this point.

So does UPL go to the ECHL? Do we leave him in Europe? Do we trade JJ? Trade one of our goalies and let JJ/Tokarski battle it out for backup?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I mean, that much is obvious.

What's far less obvious is how the workload is going to break down.

Hutton and Ullmark are the NHL duo.
Tokarski is an AHL netminder, and so is JJ at this point.

So does UPL go to the ECHL? Do we leave him in Europe? Do we trade JJ? Trade one of our goalies and let JJ/Tokarski battle it out for backup?
This could be a "I'll sign and be your expansion draft goalie if you promise to try to loan me this season to a team closer to where I have family" deal.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
For the expansion draft. It's really not that complicated.

Yes and no. I mean, he still has to play somewhere, and it's not very clear where that will be with the other goalies we have under contract next season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This could be a "I'll sign and be your expansion draft goalie if you promise to try to loan me this season to a team closer to where I have family" deal.

It feels unlikely, in the current economic state of the league, that the Sabres would sign someone expressly for the purpose of paying them to play for another team.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Their only option at this point. Johansson will almost certainly be a group VI UFA next off-season, so he won't be an option.
This is new information to me. Makes more sense now as to why they needed another goalie to expose. I thought they would be able to qualify JJ as an RFA.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
$450,000 is a lot of minor league salary to commit to 3 AHL goalies.

Easiest solution to the expansion draft was to sign JJ to a 2 year contract. Maybe he wanted the 2nd year to be a one-way contract and the Sabres didn't want to commit to that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad