27 years later...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
IIRC it was pretty clear it was going to happen by the time it did.

Gretz was a year away from being a UFA and would not sign an extension. There is no way Pocklington was going to be able to match whatever other offers were made.

As reviled as Pocklington was, he acted in the best interest of the team that day. Granted he could have used some of the $15 million to improve the team, but it wasn't a horrendous deal in pure hockey terms.

Yeah it was a horrendous deal in hockey terms. Your 'granted' part makes it so let alone the poor trade value for the best player who every played who was at his peak.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
IIRC it was pretty clear it was going to happen by the time it did.

Gretz was a year away from being a UFA and would not sign an extension. There is no way Pocklington was going to be able to match whatever other offers were made.

As reviled as Pocklington was, he acted in the best interest of the team that day. Granted he could have used some of the $15 million to improve the team, but it wasn't a horrendous deal in pure hockey terms.

It was brutal in pure hockey terms. If the $15 million was used to support the rest of the roster that was left over then maybe that argument could be made. But no, instead he sold off Messier as well.

The "Gretz wouldn't sign an extension" talk is also untrue. Pocklington didn't even attempt to make a worthwhile offer. According to Stephen Brunt's book, Wayne and Janet were seriously looking at purchasing the Denver Broncos owner's home in Edmonton that summer, which obviously changed when he caught wind of the sale.

We could have had 4 more cups if that team was kept together.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Jimmy Carson should have been better than he was. If the rest of that team was kept together, they could have won a few more cups even without Gretzky. Of course, the Oilers became the smallest market team in the league, so that wasn't gonna happen. Pocklington ripped the best team to ever play the game away from Edmonton.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
In kings ransom I think gretzky was kinda saying he was insulted when he first heard that edmonton could trade him. His dad mentioned it to him a few days after they won the cup in '88 but he told his dad something along the lines as "yea right they would never trade me". So even wayne
didn't think it was a possibility. But when wayne found out that pocklington was secretly shopping him he was quite pissed and everything changed. I get the feeling that he kinda left for spite.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In kings ransom I think gretzky was kinda saying he was insulted when he first heard that edmonton could trade him. His dad mentioned it to him a few days after they won the cup in '88 but he told his dad something along the lines as "yea right they would never trade me". So even wayne
didn't think it was a possibility. But when wayne found out that pocklington was secretly shopping him he was quite pissed and everything changed. I get the feeling that he kinda left for spite.

He was ready to go when Bruce McNall called Pocklington on speakerphone. Pock absolutely slandered Wayne in the call and Gretz was ready to go after that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Well never know one way or the other whether Gretzky would have stayed in Edmonton....

but Pocklington dint want to take that chance, so it really doesnt matter. I cant blame him for a good business decision.

My feeling is that Gretzky would have been gone anyways. Its not like the family moved back when he stopped playing.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I was 6 years old didn't really know much about trades and the business about hockey obviously but knew who Gretzky was I came downstairs the morning after the trade and my Dad said the Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky and shows me the headline in the EDM Journal. My first reply was "What is a trade?"

I've been reading the sports section since that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad