27 years later...

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I was 11 years old at the time and payed zero attention to hockey. I have no recollection of that trade. My earliest hockey memory was the Flames(who I was cheering for) beating the Habs in the finals. I became an Oilers fan the year after that and to me, Gretzky and the Kings were enemy#1!

I'm glad I didn't become an Oilers fan a few years earlier, that's for sure.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
About 6 days before it broke I was in Vancouver and that was when one talking head suggested the oilers could move gretz and he got ripped in half--flew back to Edmonton and about 48 hours before the trade was announced the Edmonton media started talking about it and saying it would never happen

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
All I remember from that day is getting home and watching the press conference.

Sad day indeed.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
We literally have this thread every year and someone mentions Kings Ransom. Gets tiring.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I was a couple weeks shy of my 1st birthday but this was my reaction:

3vSwXQi.gif

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
IIRC it was pretty clear it was going to happen by the time it did.

Gretz was a year away from being a UFA and would not sign an extension. There is no way Pocklington was going to be able to match whatever other offers were made.

As reviled as Pocklington was, he acted in the best interest of the team that day. Granted he could have used some of the $15 million to improve the team, but it wasn't a horrendous deal in pure hockey terms.

DJsquared

Aug 25, 2013

Gretz was a year away from being a UFA and would not sign an extension. There is no way Pocklington was going to be able to match whatever other offers were made.

As reviled as Pocklington was, he acted in the best interest of the team that day. Granted he could have used some of the $15 million to improve the team, but it wasn't a horrendous deal in pure hockey terms.

now I was young and didn't understand too much of the business of hockey, but didn't Gretz have a 20 year contract or something silly like that? I didn't think he was gonna be a free agent. But I could be wrong.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
now I was young and didn't understand too much of the business of hockey, but didn't Gretz have a 20 year contract or something silly like that? I didn't think he was gonna be a free agent. But I could be wrong.

They rewrote the contract a few years after it was signed, so it would end in 1989. 11-year old me didn't comprehend anything that was going on either.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

21 years was what Pocklington wanted him to sign towards the tail end of the WHA - 1979. It was an on-ice signing ceremony (very bizarre). I remember reading at that instance Gretzky signed with a bogus signature because he wasn't sure he wanted to do it. (understandable for an 18 year old kid). It was also a personal services contract to avoid the possibility of losing him in the expansion draft.

At the time of the trade he was entering the final year of a five-year extension.

That original 21 year deal might have been enough to keep Gretzky an Oiler for life. Might have been, because you never knew with Pocklington.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I remember it clearly, was the summer I finished grade 9 heading into high school. Heard it on the radio while driving in the back seat of my moms buick. I was shocked and saddened, so much so that I remember looking out the back window to hide the fact I had tears forming in my eyes.

Oct 15, 2008

This is a load.

Wayne was sold to support Peter's house of cards business empire. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad