Post-Game Talk: #26: Flyers at Devils, Friday, December 4, 2015

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Great that Luke Schenn is playing well, same with Schultz, it'll make it easier to trade them, we HAVE to free up some cap room to bring back McDonald, and if we can pick up some draft picks, even better. No matter how well they play for a stretch, their skill sit isn't a good fit long-term.

If Medvedev keeps playing like this, got to extend him, he's the perfect role model for the young D-men coming up (style of play) and would also help negotiating with KHL players.

If I can move B Schenn for a real LW, I'd do it in a heartbeat, he's not a bad player, he's just is what he is, a solid winger with no upside left. People who want to keep him and trade Simmonds are totally off base, Simmonds has flat stretches, but when he's on, he sets the tempo for the team, Schenn has scoring stretches, otherwise disappears.

Cousins should stay up, he's ahead of Laughton as a center right now, his skating has really improved and he has the "feel" for the puck that allows him to make plays. I'd stick with Laughton at LW for a while and see if he can grow into the position. Put Voracek with them to see if you can put together a fast, scoring 3rd line.

VV and PEB are what they are, 4th line forwards and PK killers. Nothing wrong with that, when you let PEB skate and agitate, he's fine, when you ask him to make plays, well, "a man has to know his limitations."

Umberger, White and MacDonald are pretty interchangeable at this point.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't say Brayden has no upside left. I think he can still become a 50-60 point player who scores 20-30 goals.

He's been jerked all over the lineup since getting here, 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, left wing, center, right wing, and he's still managed to beat his previous years points every season so far. He's never going to be a PPG superstar, but a 50-60 point player is still valuable.

The only reason I'd be open to trading him would be to get a natural left wing of roughly the same potential, but I certainly wouldn't do it because of his quality of play or because I feel he's already maxed out his production. Until Simmonds got on this hot streak Schenn was our second best forward even when the rest of the team was struggling. I've been happy with his play his year and see no pressing need to get rid of him like we do with the defensemen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I see no pressing need to get rid of B Schenn, but I certainly wouldn't overpay him. He gets his points, but just doesn't do much else, and Corsi confirms that. If Konecny makes the team next year (a high probability event, this kid has "star" written all over him), isn't he a RW? In which case we're gonna have a glut.

I like Laughton at LW, for one thing, having capable centers on the wings means you have more options in the case of injury, but we still need to upgrade there, Raffl, Read, Umberger, VV isn't ideal.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Schenn played LW this season until just recently and he looked fine there. We also know he has great chemistry with Couturier and Simmonds so I'd still like to see them out together.

Laughton-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Raffl-Umberger
VV-Bellemare-White

Might as well try this before moving people out. The bottom 6 isn't going to score at all but they would likely just grind other teams down.

Then next year maybe Konecny replaces Umberger and we shuffle around, or get rid of, the other 5 bottom 6 players.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Great that Luke Schenn is playing well, same with Schultz, it'll make it easier to trade them, we HAVE to free up some cap room to bring back McDonald, and if we can pick up some draft picks, even better. No matter how well they play for a stretch, their skill sit isn't a good fit long-term.

If Medvedev keeps playing like this, got to extend him, he's the perfect role model for the young D-men coming up (style of play) and would also help negotiating with KHL players.

If I can move B Schenn for a real LW, I'd do it in a heartbeat, he's not a bad player, he's just is what he is, a solid winger with no upside left. People who want to keep him and trade Simmonds are totally off base, Simmonds has flat stretches, but when he's on, he sets the tempo for the team, Schenn has scoring stretches, otherwise disappears.

Cousins should stay up, he's ahead of Laughton as a center right now, his skating has really improved and he has the "feel" for the puck that allows him to make plays. I'd stick with Laughton at LW for a while and see if he can grow into the position. Put Voracek with them to see if you can put together a fast, scoring 3rd line.

VV and PEB are what they are, 4th line forwards and PK killers. Nothing wrong with that, when you let PEB skate and agitate, he's fine, when you ask him to make plays, well, "a man has to know his limitations."

Umberger, White and MacDonald are pretty interchangeable at this point.

Good post. It may be smart to reup Med in the near future. Hak is a genius having him watch the NHL game for a stretch to see what he should bring to his game. He's been fantastic. If he is like this another 10-15 game we should give him a two year extension.

I can't see schenn as a 30 goal scorer but he should be good for 50/60 points and those don't grow on trees. I thought he had an outstanding game today without the puck.

I think couts may have had a little head trauma on a bit earlier in the game.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Konecny may be a RW. But he has everything that your prototypical LW G would want. He hits, goes into the dirt areas, and is very highly skilled. Having him with Giroux and Voracek would be deadly. For next year i would try something like this:

Konecny--Giroux--Voracek
Read--Couturier--Simmonds
Laughton--Cousins--Schenn
VandeVelde--Bellemare--Straka

Del Zotto--Gudas
Provorov--Medvedev
Sanheim--Gostisbehere

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schultz or MacDonald would be on that 3rd pair to start the season. Sanheim is almost certainly going to play for the Phantoms for a while, just like Laughton and Ghost did before getting called up.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Konecny may be a RW. But he has everything that your prototypical LW G would want. He hits, goes into the dirt areas, and is very highly skilled. Having him with Giroux and Voracek would be deadly. For next year i would try something like this:

Konecny--Giroux--Voracek
Read--Couturier--Simmonds
Laughton--Cousins--Schenn
VandeVelde--Bellemare--Straka

Del Zotto--Gudas
Provorov--Medvedev
Sanheim--Gostisbehere

That would be pretty great but I don't see Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim all making the team next season. Can any of them play in the AHL? I know Konecny cannot. I think Gostisbehere can play with just about anybody given his solid play even with Manning.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That would be pretty great but I don't see Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim all making the team next season. Can any of them play in the AHL? I know Konecny cannot. I think Gostisbehere can play with just about anybody given his solid play even with Manning.

Just Sanheim will be eligible for the AHL. Provorov & Konecny it's either NHL or juniors.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Flyers really are " TRASH" and the Cream of the Crap.

They get quite angry lol.

I'd rather our franchise have a personality instead of the bland-ass ******** the Devils made themselves into.

Their team roster is literally a list of "who gives a ****". :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad