GDT: #26 | Bruins at FLYERS | Sat. Dec. 2, 1:00 pm ET | SN, NBCSP, NESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
No, Deadhead & I have tried to keep a middle ground in reminding people there's a lot more to it than just Hakstol.

I've long said Hakstol makes decisions that bewilder me. I just think people use him as a 100% scapegoat because they don't want to admit they bought into many of Hextall's horrible roster decisions & evaluations. You were probably one of the many who mocked me for saying the Flyers' scoring depth was thin & that Weise & Gordon were terrible signings & that Filppula was needless & done.
Your claims of neutrality go right out the window when you choose another scapegoat.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No, Deadhead & I have tried to keep a middle ground in reminding people there's a lot more to it than just Hakstol.

I've long said Hakstol makes decisions that bewilder me. I just think people use him as a 100% scapegoat because they don't want to admit they bought into many of Hextall's horrible roster decisions & evaluations. You were probably one of the many who mocked me for saying the Flyers' scoring depth was thin & that Weise & Gordon were terrible signings & that Filppula was needless & done.

Do you really think you're the only two posters to criticize Hextall for pro scouting issues? You seem to have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Hextall came in the summer of 2014 with an over the hill bubble team in cap hell and a botton 5 prospect pool. We knew it would take at least 5 years to restock the cupboards and get a decent roster. It takes most players 4-5 years to become significant contributors to a team, so starting with no decent prospects meant we likely wouldnt have a good team for 4-5 years. Hextall has done a great job of getting this team to a top 5 prospect pool and is integrating some of the younger players into the lineup now (as slow and painful as it is). He is still on track for 2019 you are just consumed by negativity because of the past 10 games and Hakstol. There is no indication Hakstol will be here another year. Hexy cant just go trading and signing good players thats how Homer got us in this mess in the first place. Perennial contenders are built through the draft and thats what Hexy is doing.

Enough of the false dichotomy. People need to stop suggesting that our only two options are either 1) unending patience for the "five year plan" or 2) a relapse into Holmgren-style impatience for immediate success.

A good manager is able to manage and balance near-term competitiveness with long-term sustainability. Hextall has a prolific ability to build a pipeline of long-term, sustainable talent. It's clearly not settled whether he can achieve success in the present though. Having patience is not synonymous with just waiting forever for things to suddenly fall into place. Even the best pipeline of talent will not have everything magically settle that way.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Benching Konecny should be icing on the cake of what we already know. Hakstol is in over his head in trying to "develop his players", he can't even f***ing do that.

Reactions: kelmitchell

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As I predicted last week, good chance we are third worst in the NHL and second worst in the East by this weeks end.

And loser GM is happy with coach and team

Reactions: kelmitchell

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Your claims of neutrality go right out the window when you choose another scapegoat.

So your point is I'm making Hextall the 100% scapegoat?

My whole point is there's multiple layers of blame & acting like it's *all* on Hakstol is wrong.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Same decision as the last horrid effort he was ok and happy with. See if his parachute works after this trainwreck game.
Benching a player for a period isn't the type of thing a GM would get involved with...

It's not like Konecny has been playing 6 minutes per game and then scratched for 10 in a row.

Hakstol is definitely an idiot, but you have unrealistic expectations for what would cause a GM to intervene.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
What's hilarious is that Hak KNOWS he is a terribly inept coach. Otherwise he wouldn't have had to resort to stacking the top line. He knows his system won't be able to create anything offensively otherwise, and set up the G-Coots-Jake to mask that fact.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad