Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Entirely unsurprised

massively disappointed,

cautiously optimistic

- Ryan Poehling

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I wanted Eeli Tolvanen, but it's ok. Because we got Joni Ikonen is very good, got a big potential.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think that we will know more over the next two years whether he's a 2C or a 3C. He was a freshman, a year younger than other freshmen, on a fairly stacked college team, and not used on the powerplay. He may strengthen his case for 2C over time. It was a bit of a needs-based choice, but this team needs (craves) center prospects. I'm okay with this choice. Many mock drafts had him gone around 18-22. Also like the fact that various analyses point to his hockey IQ and work ethic.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
oh I dont care about him or her but why would a potential 1st round draftee post his political views on his public social media ?
he seems dumb and he will probably be asked to delete it shortly

Yeah he's really dumb.

HE finished high school a year early and went to college.

Just cause someone has different views than you (and in no way do I agree with Poehling's views), but just cause they are different, I'm not calling him dumb.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He sounds quite intelligent and levelheaded in his interviews. Just had a terrible gaffe at the beginning it's probably quite overwhelming. And he was possibly interviewed a lot by Toronto. Maybe he was their pick if Timothy L wasn't available.

I mean I'd be willing to bet our captain from an affluent Connecticut family is a Trump supporter. I'd also be willing to bet a lot of these rich Western Canadian hockey players were Stephen Harper supporters. Let's just care about how they are on the ice.

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
He sounds quite intelligent and levelheaded in his interviews. Just had a terrible gaffe at the beginning it's probably quite overwhelming. And he was possibly interviewed a lot by Toronto. Maybe he was their pick if Timothy L wasn't available.

I mean I'd be willing to bet our captain from an affluent Connecticut family is a Trump supporter. I'd also be willing to bet a lot of these rich Western Canadian hockey players were Stephen Harper supporters. Let's just care about how they are on the ice.

Exactly. All this crap about his mistake on live TV for a kid... Not a big deal. Also his political views are pretty pointless if he can produce on the ice. Hope this guy turns out better than Chipchura (similar mold I would think) and McCarron (who has yet to really put it all together, very early for him still).

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Yeah he's really dumb.

Just cause someone has different views than you (and in no way do I agree with Poehling's views), but just cause they are different, I'm not calling him dumb.

Finishing high school early means nothing when you consider the nature of the 'accelerated' tracks that Minnesotan HS' employ...Lakeview High is not Hotchkiss or Andover...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Finishing high school early means nothing when you consider the nature of the 'accelerated' tracks that Minnesotan HS' employ...Lakeview High is not Hotchkiss or Andover...

He was a 17 year old in University and as far as we know isn't on academic probation, so he's keeping up his studies and playing hockey. It's a difficult task. Do you want him to be a Rhodes Scholar to be satisfied?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Black Book info:

Poehling elected to escalate his schooling and join his two older, twin brothers at St. Cloud St. as freshman.
Poehling was the youngest player in College hockey this past season. Coming from playing Minnesota High
School the season prior, Poehling struggled adjusting to the speed and physicality of the college game.
Poehling got better as the season progressed, like many expected he would, and while his 7 Goals and 6
Assists in 35 games doesn’t jump out at you, it’s also important to remember St. Cloud St. didn’t have the
offensive firepower on the roster as they are used to having and struggled scoring goals as a whole.
Poehling plays a straight ahead simple game down the middle of the ice. He has excellent skating and
explosiveness coming into the offensive zone. Ryan doesn’t have elite hands and stick handing ability, but
uses his strong lower body and skating to beat defenders 1 on 1. If a play to the net is not available
Poehling is perfectly fine with chipping the puck past the defender and getting in on the fore-check and
work off the cycle. He displays great ability to battle along the walls and doesn’t give up on pucks; his 2nd
effort wins him a lot of pucks. On the Power play Poehling likes to use his big body in front of the net, he is
excellent at timing on when he gets his separation from his defender to make himself available for a pass or
deflection in front. Poehling is good at finding pucks in traffic and getting them on net, he possesses a
heavy wrist and snap shot from the outside but is most effective in the slot.
Ryan plays a sound game positionally coming back into his own end and has a knack for creating turnovers
on the back check. Poehling started to adjust to the speed in which plays developed in his own end as the
season progressed but if there is a wart in his game it would be his defensive awareness in the defensive
zone.
Quotable: “He and Shane Bowers both have that solid all around hockey player feel to
them but just lack that high end skill you want prospects you select really early in the
draft to possess. Poehling had a good second half. He’s a hard worker all over the ice and
has also produced on the score board.” - NHL Scout, May 2017
182 — 2017 BLACK BOOK TEAM EDITION
Quotable: “I like him but he’s simple. He’s like Davidson.I don’t know how much
offensive upside he has but I like him. I like guys with more skill than what he has over
him, but in fairness to him, if he had gone to the USHL he might’ve had 70 points and
shown more skill than he did.(in the NCAA)” - NHL Scout (May 2017)

CB #14 F Poehling, Ryan (2017) – He was the big NHL Draft prospect at the camp not only in name, yet
also size. He has a solid frame and plays strong on the puck. You could see in the first game some
summertime rust as he mishandled a few pucks and mis-fired as well on some shots. Although he did show
good hustle on a backcheck to create a turnover. There were times with his size he would be stronger on
his feet as was knocked down. On the second day of camp, he was showing power & strength along the
walls and corner as made good move out of corner creating nice scoring chance. He also displayed some
nice vision finding the seam for set-up of teammates. He also scored a goal showing his quick speed in
transition and hand-cuffed the goalie with short-side blocker shot. There is certainly potential in his game
with hockey IQ, size, strength, and skill sets. Even though he wasn’t dominate at Select 17s, he is a player
with a future. Will be interesting draft season for Poehling as he heads to SCSU as true freshman along with
his older twin brothers.

USA #19 C Poehling, Ryan (2017) – Poehling was one of Team USA’s best forwards this game, aside from
scoring the game winner in Overtime, It seemed Poehling found a way to impact the game on a shift by
shift basis in all three zones, he was very good away from the puck. He used his skating and stick to disrupt
passing lanes and applied sound back pressure and was able to force turnovers. Ryan did take a couple ill
advised penalties, one of which resulted in a goal against, however the good far outweighed the bad for
him in this game. On his OT winning goal, teammate #17 Vanya Lodnia (Erie-OHL) was able to get the puck
on the half wall and find Poehling wide open in front of the net, where he made a quick move and beat the
goalie stick side.

USA #19 LC Poehling, Ryan (2017) - Works extremely hard to turn over pucks and is a very effective
forechecker combining his size and skating ability. Explosive strides and stays low to the ice. His puck
handling skills and offensive instincts are average, but contributed with a nice finish when left wide open in
overtime

USA #19 LC Poehling, Ryan (2017) - Not overly involved offensively, worked hard both forechecking and in
his own end. Ran into trouble when he over puck handled. Effective when he chipped pucks and was
physical.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He was a 17 year old in University and as far as we know isn't on academic probation, so he's keeping up his studies and playing hockey. It's a difficult task. Do you want him to be a Rhodes Scholar to be satisfied?

I could care less about his intelligence, as long as he knows that he can breathe through his nose and mouth, we're gravy.

I deal with facts, and the post I responded to (not yours) insinuated that his finishing HS early was impressive. It's not, because the top players in Minnesota HS' are deities who will pass their summer weights course with flying colours.

I played Jr hockey with several Minnesotans and Midwesterners, and the above is not an assumption, it is common knowledge among anyone from that region. I will happily send you my EP page if you care to see

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah he's really dumb.

I did not say he is dumb but I said he seems dumb

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Black Book info:

Poehling elected to escalate his schooling and join his two older, twin brothers at St. Cloud St. as freshman.
Poehling was the youngest player in College hockey this past season. Coming from playing Minnesota High
School the season prior, Poehling struggled adjusting to the speed and physicality of the college game.
Poehling got better as the season progressed, like many expected he would, and while his 7 Goals and 6
Assists in 35 games doesn’t jump out at you, it’s also important to remember St. Cloud St. didn’t have the
offensive firepower on the roster as they are used to having and struggled scoring goals as a whole.
Poehling plays a straight ahead simple game down the middle of the ice. He has excellent skating and
explosiveness coming into the offensive zone. Ryan doesn’t have elite hands and stick handing ability, but
uses his strong lower body and skating to beat defenders 1 on 1. If a play to the net is not available
Poehling is perfectly fine with chipping the puck past the defender and getting in on the fore-check and
work off the cycle. He displays great ability to battle along the walls and doesn’t give up on pucks; his 2nd
effort wins him a lot of pucks. On the Power play Poehling likes to use his big body in front of the net, he is
excellent at timing on when he gets his separation from his defender to make himself available for a pass or
deflection in front. Poehling is good at finding pucks in traffic and getting them on net, he possesses a
heavy wrist and snap shot from the outside but is most effective in the slot.
Ryan plays a sound game positionally coming back into his own end and has a knack for creating turnovers
on the back check. Poehling started to adjust to the speed in which plays developed in his own end as the
season progressed but if there is a wart in his game it would be his defensive awareness in the defensive
zone.
Quotable: “He and Shane Bowers both have that solid all around hockey player feel to
them but just lack that high end skill you want prospects you select really early in the
draft to possess. Poehling had a good second half. He’s a hard worker all over the ice and
has also produced on the score board.†- NHL Scout, May 2017
182 — 2017 BLACK BOOK TEAM EDITION
Quotable: “I like him but he’s simple. He’s like Davidson.I don’t know how much
offensive upside he has but I like him. I like guys with more skill than what he has over
him, but in fairness to him, if he had gone to the USHL he might’ve had 70 points and
shown more skill than he did.(in the NCAA)†- NHL Scout (May 2017)

CB #14 F Poehling, Ryan (2017) – He was the big NHL Draft prospect at the camp not only in name, yet
also size. He has a solid frame and plays strong on the puck. You could see in the first game some
summertime rust as he mishandled a few pucks and mis-fired as well on some shots. Although he did show
good hustle on a backcheck to create a turnover. There were times with his size he would be stronger on
his feet as was knocked down. On the second day of camp, he was showing power & strength along the
walls and corner as made good move out of corner creating nice scoring chance. He also displayed some
nice vision finding the seam for set-up of teammates. He also scored a goal showing his quick speed in
transition and hand-cuffed the goalie with short-side blocker shot. There is certainly potential in his game
with hockey IQ, size, strength, and skill sets. Even though he wasn’t dominate at Select 17s, he is a player
with a future. Will be interesting draft season for Poehling as he heads to SCSU as true freshman along with
his older twin brothers.

USA #19 C Poehling, Ryan (2017) – Poehling was one of Team USA’s best forwards this game, aside from
scoring the game winner in Overtime, It seemed Poehling found a way to impact the game on a shift by
shift basis in all three zones, he was very good away from the puck. He used his skating and stick to disrupt
passing lanes and applied sound back pressure and was able to force turnovers. Ryan did take a couple ill
advised penalties, one of which resulted in a goal against, however the good far outweighed the bad for
him in this game. On his OT winning goal, teammate #17 Vanya Lodnia (Erie-OHL) was able to get the puck
on the half wall and find Poehling wide open in front of the net, where he made a quick move and beat the
goalie stick side.

USA #19 LC Poehling, Ryan (2017) - Works extremely hard to turn over pucks and is a very effective
forechecker combining his size and skating ability. Explosive strides and stays low to the ice. His puck
handling skills and offensive instincts are average, but contributed with a nice finish when left wide open in
overtime

USA #19 LC Poehling, Ryan (2017) - Not overly involved offensively, worked hard both forechecking and in
his own end. Ran into trouble when he over puck handled. Effective when he chipped pucks and was
physical.

at 25th position, that a good pick. 2-3c,. Statically speaking only 25% make it in the top 6 at that rank. Could He? Let's wait and see. What will be the habs Roster in 2022? Only Drouin and Weber have a contract to that point!

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-auvA9cVk

Good vision shown quite a bit in that video.

Truly upsetting that the Habs picked the USA team Captain, the prototypical two way center, one who doesn't give up on the play. Then having the gall to rally his team with gamechanging goals, besides the OT winner. What's to become of our team, drafting the youngest NCAA player that exhibits these traits? Maybe winning their 25th Stanley Cup, and Poehling being a catalyst for our Habs, using his non stop checking gusto leading the charge!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Huge +++ for the Habs Scouting team here IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In no way am I comparing these players but just to get an idea of what the last 17 year old that I can think of did in the NCAA.

Zach Werenski - 35-9-16-25 (keep in mind Michigan is a top program for NHL draft picks, that year they had 4 player with more then 30 pts, SCSU had none this year)

Ryan Poehling - 35-7-6-13

Granted he's a defensmen but no u-18 player since Jonathan Toews has scored at a better rate in college hockey than Werenski's 25 points in 35 games. In no way am I saying he has offensive upside or not since I didn't see him this year.

Can he use the NCAA loophole? I wonder what the reaction would be on this board, especially if he signed with Toronto :sarcasm:

no, the loophole is only for players that don't go directly to the NCAA after being drafted.

example, Casey Staum - drafted in 2016, played next year in the USHL then will play in the NCAA next year. So after his Junior year in the NCAA he can opt out and become a UFA.

Hawkey, Koberstein are in the same boat, they can opt out.

Poehling, Jake Evans can't opt out because they either went directly to the NCAA after being drafted or were in the NCAA already.

That may be a saving grace, but it's hardly a guarantee, especially when as an NCAA player, he'll have the option to sign elsewhere, if I'm not mistaken.

If he does stay in the organization, again there's no reason to presume his tutelage would be of the first water.

see above.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
In no way am I comparing these players but just to get an idea of what the last 17 year old that I can think of did in the NCAA.

Zach Werenski - 35-9-16-25 (keep in mind Michigan is a top program for NHL draft picks, that year they had 4 player with more then 30 pts, SCSU had none this year)

Ryan Poehling - 35-7-6-13

Granted he's a defensmen but no u-18 player since Jonathan Toews has scored at a better rate in college hockey than Werenski's 25 points in 35 games. In no way am I saying he has offensive upside or not since I didn't see him this year.

Recent U18 NCAA players:

Jonathan Toews (C) 2005-2006 Univ. of North Dakota 42 22 17 39 0.93
Anthony Aquino (RW) 1999-2000 Merrimack College 36 15 14 29 0.81
A.J. Thelen (D) 2003-2004 Michigan State Univ. 41 11 18 29 0.71
Michael Cammalleri (LW/RW) 1999-2000 Univ. of Michigan 39 13 13 26 0.67
Zach Werenski (D) 2014-2015 Univ. of Michigan 35 9 16 25 0.71
Alex Leavitt (C) 2001-2002 Univ. of Wisconsin 39 11 13 24 0.62
Noah Hanifin (D) 2014-2015 Boston College 37 5 18 23 0.62
Dion Knelsen (C) 2006-2007 Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks 35 5 17 22 0.63
Dan Bertram (RW/C) 2004-2005 Boston College 38 9 8 17 0.45
Jim O'Brien (C/RW) 2006-2007 Univ. of Minnesota 43 7 8 15 0.35
Jonathan Sigalet (D) 2003-2004 Bowling Green State Univ. 37 3 12 15 0.41
Ryan Poehling (C) 2016-2017 St. Cloud State Univ. 35 7 6 13 0.37
Wes O'Neill (D) 2003-2004 Univ. of Notre Dame 39 2 10 12 0.31
Dillon Simpson (D) 2010-2011 Univ. of North Dakota 30 2 8 10 0.33

Sure, Poehling can get some slack but still his production is low. He didn't show offensive potential, for me, at the U18. He looked to me like your classical big guy who guys to the net and deflects a puck once in a while.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
To add to Mathletic's post, he's not the only 17 year old playing against older players. I don't see why we should restrict our attention to the NCAA just because he plays there. It's generally pretty easy to rank the players within a league, because they play against each other. Part of the challenge in scouting is how to compare what a player did in one league, with the accomplishments of a player in a different league. How would Poehling have done in Liiga, for example? Or even a second tier league like Allsvenskan?

If a guy gets 6 goals in Liiga as a 17/18 year old, invariably concerns about his offensive ability pop up. People were even concerned with Andersson's offensive potential and he had a pretty fantastic year in the SHL. Like Mathletic said he could all of a sudden develop an NHL level offensive game, but right now there's no real indication that he has it.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He sounds like a Chipchura, De La Rose pick. Very little chance of being a top six forward. I would have rather used a 1st on a potential top six forward.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You really can't expect much from a 25th overall of a shallow/weak draft.

Of course I'd prefer to go for someone with good skating and a nose for net. Aside from a certain minimal level of speed and skating mechanics, I think goal scoring and a play style that is goal-orientated is the single most important trait the Habs to draft. So it is a bit disappointing to hear this guy specifically doesn't have that trait.

I don't see much upside, but since he's still developing and so so young, he could still come around. But usually you know your playstyle before college.

Known "hater" W7 says... player and draft pic, inconclusive. But management bad for not drafting for top-line potential skill OR goal scoring skill.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I'm still in disbelief, why would the Habs select a bust with so many sure shot first liners on the board? I hope Molson takes over, this is getting out of hand.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I'm still in disbelief, why would the Habs select a bust with so many sure shot first liners on the board? I hope Molson takes over, this is getting out of hand.

I'm sure you mean higher offensive upside than actual "sure shot first liners", correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad