25 Years Ago Today The Monday Night Wars Began

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by BostonBob, Sep 4, 2020.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
  1. koyvoo What position did you play?

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    In 1999 I went to a live Raw at what was then the Skydome and a live Nitro at what was then the Air Canada Centre within months of each other.

Biggest lasting memory is of Earl Hebner making fun of my quite overweight friend as my buddy was heckling him. We had unbelievable seats for Raw.

2. Brodeur Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    When WCW and WWF battled for Southern California | SoCalUNCENSORED.com

I remember when WWF/WCW ran competing house shows in LA/Anaheim on the same night during the height of the Monday Night Wars. Almost wish I had kept the sports page with the competing advertisements. Several months later, Raw/Nitro would be close together and DX would invade the Norfolk Scope.

3. BruinDust No More Sweens!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I had the pleasure of coming across a VHS copy of the first Stone Cold Steve Austin VHS/DVD done by WWF(E) "Cause Stone Cold said So". Basically documents his run from mid-1996 (Austin 3:16) up until mid-1997 (teaming with HBK and busting up Harts knee in a streetfight).

It's narrated by Stone Cold himself, hosted by Stone Cold. Just that raw gritty version of the character from that time period. In hindsight it shows what a groundbreaking character it was for its time. He actually swears on video (which I believe is edited out when they re-released it on DVD). The end credits are just icing on the cake (hint everything was done by Stone Cold kayfabe). Incredible stuff. We'll never see anything like that again.

4. JackSlater Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    96/97 Austin was the best Austin. That's an all time great gimmick pulled off tremendously. Austin was a very good babyface after 97 but he was also somewhat a catchphrase machine and t-shirt salesman. The original psychotic redneck badass was awesome though.

BruinDust likes this.
  5. Ozz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Scrooge McDuck
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it already, but WWE Network has a great series (could be old y now, I have no idea) about the Monday Night Wars. Looks like 15 1-hr episodes. I'm 2 deep so far and it's pretty awesome.

6. JackSlater Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I was curious about that series. Haven't heard much about it good or bad really.

7. Brodeur Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I enjoyed the Monday Night Wars, but the episodes can jump around in the time line a bit since certain episodes either focused on a certain guy (I seem to remember a Jericho episode) or how WCW utilized the cruiserweights. I seem to remember folks criticizing/nitpicking some of the details being left out, but it was definitely a fun walk through memory lane.

8. Megahab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There was a Taker-Austin-Bret triple threat for the title? I was watching every week religiously at that time but have no memory of that match ever happening.

9. Megahab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh I misread. Didn't realize it was a house show.