25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#7

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dog days of summer so I thought this would be a good time to try to put this together.

Just picked Patrick 2nd obviously and with a ton of new faces both already on the team and ready to debut in '17 it feels like the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

25 is also a tidy number so of course there's that as well.

Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years? I added goalies as well because I want a hard and fast and more or less "definitive" list.

Use your own criteria for your decision and after you vote if you feel like it post who you voted for and why.

Thanks all. Lemme know if I forgot anyone in the poll.

Winner of Poll #6 is: Brind'Amour, Rod.
Link to Previous Poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh....php?t=2382413

25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)
#1: Lindros, Eric (93-00) 486-290-369-659- 84%
#2: LeClair, John (95-04) 649-333-310-643-42%
#3: Giroux, Claude (08-17) 656-180-395-575-61%
#4: Desjardins, Eric (95-06) 738-93-303-396-49%
#5: Recchi, Mark (92-95, 99-04) 602-232-395-627-44%
#6: Brind'Amour, Rod (92-00) 633-235-366-601-69%
giphy.gif

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
While I respect Gags, I'm kind of surprised with the support... I was remembering the bashing that he was getting my the small but loud minority who always complained that it was never enough from him... always unfairly wanting more -- which is sadly the norm here with Flyers Fans... especially after the peak and on the downswing -- but my memory is probably exaggerating the situation.

But I'm more surprised I guess with the lack of support for Kimmo at this point... I understand him not getting in the top half dozen, but given the scarcity of quality D-men in the Organization over the past Quarter-Century... especially with the true Number Ones... you would think that he would be getting more votes. Rico rightfully got his due, and IMO Kimmo was just a step behind him as arguably the third best D-man in Flyers History.

Maybe it is because it is so recent that he was here... and his drop off was so dramatic... and his legacy needs some time to set in. That said, with the crop of D-prospects on the horizon... and Provo already showing what he has got... maybe Kimmo's reign at #3 Will be all too short.

I'm thinking Kimmo gets in at #8 and make the very respectable top ten list.

JMO

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Gagne for me.

I'm not sure he could carry a team like Lindros, Forsberg, Brind'Amour, etc...but he may have been one of the best complimentary guys we've ever had. Always an underrated 2-way guy too.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
While I respect Gags, I'm kind of surprised with the support... I was remembering the bashing that he was getting my the small but loud minority who always complained that it was never enough from him... always unfairly wanting more -- which is sadly the norm here with Flyers Fans... especially after the peak and on the downswing -- but my memory is probably exaggerating the situation.

JMO

The bolded is why I'm surprised Desjardins went so high :laugh:

I rarely heard Gagne getting knocked.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The bolded is why I'm surprised Desjardins went so high :laugh:

I rarely heard Gagne getting knocked.

Really!!... haha... yeah, some jackwads did get on Rico a lot when he was playing with half an arm and lame legs... and on the downswing... he played so much through major injuries... without letting on he was hampered.

I think it may have been more on the Hockeybuzz Forums that I was getting the Gagne bashing stuff... may not have been as much here... the 0-3/0-3 2010 Bruins comeback and then trading him away may have greatly contributed to his Legacy... rather than playing out the string here as Rico did. I know I was not happy with some of what was posted... about Gags/Rico.

Please keep in mind that heals all wounds... and wounds all heels. ;)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

But I'm more surprised I guess with the lack of support for Kimmo at this point... I understand him not getting in the top half dozen, but given the scarcity of quality D-men in the Organization over the past Quarter-Century... especially with the true Number Ones... you would think that he would be getting more votes. Rico rightfully got his due, and IMO Kimmo was just a step behind him as arguably the third best D-man in Flyers History.

Maybe it is because it is so recent that he was here... and his drop off was so dramatic... and his legacy needs some time to set in. That said, with the crop of D-prospects on the horizon... and Provo already showing what he has got... maybe Kimmo's reign at #3 Will be all too short.

I'm thinking Kimmo gets in at #8 and make the very respectable top ten list.

JMO

The list of Flyers that werent bashed towards the end of their Flyers career is shorter than the list of players that were.

Timonen was lambasted his final season here as well.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The list of Flyers that werent bashed towards the end of their Flyers career is shorter than the list of players that were.

Timonen was lambasted his final season here as well.

Indeed the case.

And as time progresses... feelings and memories change... that is why I suggested that Kimmo's tome here may have been too recent... and not helping his voting.

EDIT: Damn autocorrect. LOL

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Gagne didn't fight enough for some probably. he was probably was one of the better 2 way forwards this team has had in recent memory. just like with Kimmo if you didn't like Gagne you have no soul.
I was at the game he dislocated his shoulder in a fight against Tampa.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Gags for me as well. For whatever reason I had forgotten he had such a long tenure with the Flyers.

Next round I may end up flipping a coin (literally) for Kimmo and Danny Briere.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Indeed the case.

And as time progresses... feel I vs and memories change... that is why I suggested that Kimmo's tome here may have been too recent... and not helping his voting.

Same with Richards even, IMO. I think he'll be looked at more fondly in about 5-10 years.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Gags for me as well. For whatever reason I had forgotten he had such a long tenure with the Flyers.

Next round I may end up flipping a coin (literally) for Kimmo and Danny Briere.

Briere>Kimmo for me tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad