25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#13

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dog days of summer so I thought this would be a good time to try to put this together.

Just picked Patrick 2nd obviously and with a ton of new faces both already on the team and ready to debut in '17 it feels like the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

25 is also a tidy number so of course there's that as well.

Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years? I added goalies as well because I want a hard and fast and more or less "definitive" list.

Use your own criteria for your decision and after you vote if you feel like it post who you voted for and why.

*The way I've been voting is how the player in question played:
-FOR (only) the Flyers and
-DURING the window in question (Oct. of 1992- April of 2017) / Last 25 Years

Thanks all.

*We're starting to get down towards the slightly more obscure names so if there is anyone who you might vote for down the line that you dont see up here let me know so I can add them*

Winner of Poll #12: Carter, Jeff.
Link to Previous Poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2386987

25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)
#1: Lindros, Eric (93-00) 486-290-369-659-84%
#2: LeClair, John (95-04) 649-333-310-643-42%
#3: Giroux, Claude (08-17) 656-180-395-575-61%
#4: Desjardins, Eric (95-06) 738-93-303-396-49%
#5: Recchi, Mark (92-95, 99-04) 602-232-395-627-44%
#6: Brind'Amour, Rod (92-00) 633-235-366-601-69%
#7: Gagne, Simon (99-10,13) 691-264-271-535-71%
#8: Timonen, Kimmo (08-14) 519-38-232-270-68%
#9: Briere, Daniel (08-13) 364-124-159-283-47%
#10: Richards, Mike (06-11) 453-133-216-349-41%
#11: Voracek, Jakub (12-17) 445-116-238-354-33%
#12: Carter, Jeff (06-11) 461-181-162-343-44%
giphy.gif

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
It's crazy Hextall hasn't won yet, in my opinion. I know the title shows last 25 years, but the stat line given for Hextall goes back prior to that, which includes his Vezina and Conn Smyth year. He ranks as the 2nd best Flyer goalie ever, in my books, and even if we are just considering his 2nd stint, he was still a pivotal part to the success of those 90s teams.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
It's crazy Hextall hasn't won yet, in my opinion. I know the title shows last 25 years, but the stat line given for Hextall goes back prior to that, which includes his Vezina and Conn Smyth year. He ranks as the 2nd best Flyer goalie ever, in my books, and even if we are just considering his 2nd stint, he was still a pivotal part to the success of those 90s teams.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but in the OP I specify the criteria to which I assume most will vote.

The Hextall statline is for completeness as there are only two players in the poll who overlap significantly with both eras imo. (pre 92 and post 92).

If I put Hextall's statline only post 92 it would look worse.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
a) The thought of Hextall not being in the top 15 of the last Quarter Century is IMO insane.

b) Personally I'm greatly surprised that Coburn has received zero Votes... at least none that I have noticed... I'm not suggesting that he should be in now, merely noticing he has been totally ignored, which to me was unexpected.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Yeah I'm deciding if Simmonds has passed Hartnell for me yet. Haven't put in a vote.
Simmonds over Hartnell and I didnt even really have to think about it.
b) Personally I'm greatly surprised that Coburn has received zero Votes... at least none that I have noticed... I'm not suggesting that he should be in now, merely noticing he has been totally ignored, which to me was unexpected.

Coburn was trash. Even when he was ok he was trash. He's like when bad teams put a average forward on the top line because they have no better options and he stinks up the place but when you look back at his stats 5-10 years later you say "Wow I'm surprised player x had a 20 goal season!"

...Minus the 20 goal season of course. Points period really.

Also surprised Forsberg getting more than Pronger. Pronger played longer, was just as dominant really and his dominance actually got us two wins from the Cup.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I voted for Simmonds this round, but I'm surprised Renberg isn't getting more love.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Renberg
Part of the 2nd most dominant line in team history.

Then Hartnell, Simmonds, Knuble had similar production but Knuble only did it for 4 years in Phila

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I may re-think voting for Hartnell after Simmonds now that Renberg's name was brought up.

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
I don't think Coburn was trash at all, but I'm not sure he's going to make the cut at 25. I think the underrated defensemen will be Kim Johnsson and Garry Galley -- Johnsson in particular.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I don't think Coburn was trash at all, but I'm not sure he's going to make the cut at 25. I think the underrated defensemen will be Kim Johnsson and Garry Galley -- Johnsson in particular.

I've been trying to figure out where Johnsson would slot in for me.

I wonder if a single goalie makes the top 25.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty much agree... even though I was the one who brought up Coburn's name.

I really liked Galley when he played here.

... also, even though he wouldn't make the top 25, why is Paul Coffey not included in the Poll?... he deserves the nod... even though his stay was brief, and career effected by the concussion he suffered here... he was on the 1997 SCF Team IIRC.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pretty much agree... even though I was the one who brought up Coburn's name.

I really liked Galley when he played here.

... also, even though he wouldn't make the top 25, why is Paul Coffey not included in the Poll?... he deserves the nod... even though his stay was brief, and career effected by the concussion he suffered here... he was on the 1997 SCF Team IIRC.

Asking about why players aren't included in the poll that have no chance of making the top 25 is kind of pointless.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Asking about why players aren't included in the poll that have no chance of making the top 25 is kind of pointless.

Not really... recognition and props for them.

Face it do we really think all of the names on the list have even the slimmest chance of making the final cut? Of course we don't... I just wonder while Coffey who had about the same tenure as Forsberg was omitted yet some of the Players who have no shot whatsoever are on.

I of course would not make a fuss because Coffey if not there... as I wouldn't that Players such as Falloon, Talbot, Meszaros, Otto, Klatt, etal... all who have no shot in Hell... are all included.

Basically I am just making idle conversation about Flyers History/Players until the Camp consumes all our attention... Paul Coffey was a great Player who we should not forget played here... IMO his concussion here cut his greatness short, as he was never near the same after he had it... he still had game before that... and many thought he would be the difference that got us over the hump... like Pete Rose with Phillies... the concussion ended that thought.

JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not really... recognition and props for them.

Face it do we really think all of the names on the list have even the slimmest chance of making the final cut? Of course we don't... I just wonder while Coffey who had about the same tenure as Forsberg was omitted yet some of the Players who have no shot whatsoever are on.

I of course would not make a fuss because Coffey if not there... as I wouldn't that Players such as Falloon, Talbot, Meszaros, Otto, Klatt, etal... all who have no shot in Hell... are all included.

Basically I am just making idle conversation about Flyers History/Players until the Camp consumes all our attention... Paul Coffey was a great Player who we should not forget played here... IMO his concussion here cut his greatness short, as he was never near the same after he had it... he still had game before that... and many thought he would be the difference that got us over the hump... like Pete Rose with Phillies... the concussion ended that thought.

JMO

Because Forsberg was great in his short tenure..

Coffey was a shell of his former self.

He should be in the poll over a few players, for sure, but he has no chance of being in the top 25 so no big deal.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Because Forsberg was great in his short tenure..

Coffey was a shell of his former self.

He should be in the poll over a few players, for sure, but he has no chance of being in the top 25 so no big deal.

I understand where you are coming from... it's all good.

BTW: I only mentioned Forsberg as a reference on the tenures... a precedent, so to speak.

Coffey while a shell of his greatest Seasons was still very good when signed... and IIRC, until his concussion he played well enough... He was still an NHL Al-Star his First Season in Philly... his PPG Seasons had passed, but for a D-man his stats were not too shabby... He was on the downswing certainly but he hit the skids when he was concussed... I'm sure it was a combination of age, years and health... Bad luck and timing for sure.

In any case... he for sure is no candidate for top 25... and yes, it is no big deal... just memories in passing of an NHL all-time great in the twilight of his fantastic career... by a Flyers Fan in his twilight. I do not push for his being added... nor call for others to be removed... Just recalling Paul Coffey, Philadelphia Flyer... and what might have been had he stayed uninjured. *sigh*

... Moving on............................... :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad