25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#10

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If you did that i dont think you would have him quite this high, from 92 on he was extremely mediocre

Either you read my Post incorrectly... or I wrote it incorrectly... or I read your Response incorrectly. :help:

... What I said or at least tried to say was that I was taking into account Hextall's Seasons prior to the 1992 25 Year Window... In which case his better earlier Seasons would raise him higher.

I'm sorry for any possible misunderstanding off my Post

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Uhhh my bad. I assumed people would just vote but I can understand where its murky.

The way I've been voting is how the player in question played:
-FOR (only) the Flyers and
-DURING the window in question (Oct. of 1992- April of 2017)/ Last 25 Years

So it would be Hextall from that period on. I put the full tenure of his time with the Flyers only to be thorough.

I dont see how Hextall's GM credentials are relevant either.
This is on-ice performance based. It aint like Hexy's made us a dynasty (yet) during his tenure anyway.

I left guys like Eklund off because they might have just snuck in at the beginning of the period but weren't really relevant beyond the very early stages of the last 25 years.

Per a guy like Forsberg I envision only his tenure with the Flyers to be relevant to this poll.
The history board is a giant circle jerk testament to his greatness we can leave that for them.

So intangibles are not in play for consideration?... I can see ignoring GM duties, but IMO Intangibles such as Fan Interaction, Leadership Skills off ice, Organization dedication, etc. should be in the mix... and I'm personally considering them. Players such as Primeau, Pronger, Briere, Roenik, Forsberg, etal would fall back greatly if not, as I see it.

JMO

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Don't disagree, the next three for me are Renberg, Carter, Richards.

What I really want to know though, is why did Shjon Poedin make the list, but neither of his 3M linemates made it? Trent Klatt deserves respect, as does Joel Otto. Not really though.

Otto yes, Klatt, no way

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
Otto yes, Klatt, no way
Don't understand that. Klatt was a good third-liner who could move up a line if needed and chipped in a 24-goal season. Both he and Otto were far better than some of the guys on this list, like Max Talbot and Ray Emery. The fact that he thought a little too highly of himself shouldn't keep him off the list.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Don't understand that. Klatt was a good third-liner who could move up a line if needed and chipped in a 24-goal season. Both he and Otto were far better than some of the guys on this list, like Max Talbot and Ray Emery. The fact that he thought a little too highly of himself shouldn't keep him off the list.

Otto was brought in specifically to counter Mark Messier and he was a very key cog for our playoff runs in the 90's.

While Klatt was a good enough player, he by far NOT a key play

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
If anything, Fat Balloon should never have made the list. He was just awful

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
I'm not saying Klatt over Otto; I'm saying Otto and Klatt deserve to be on the list over several of the others who are (including the guys I mentioned and Falloon).

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
So intangibles are not in play for consideration?... I can see ignoring GM duties, but IMO Intangibles such as Fan Interaction, Leadership Skills off ice, Organization dedication, etc. should be in the mix... and I'm personally considering them. Players such as Primeau, Pronger, Briere, Roenik, Forsberg, etal would fall back greatly if not, as I see it.

JMO

No, these seem perfectly valid. I appreciate your attention to detail, I just thought people would vote and this would a fun and informal way to pass time before the season starts.

To me, leadership and organizational dedication are hard to quantify as a fan. I wasnt in the lockeroom while these guys were playing, hell I just watched on TV/radio when I was little so the older players in question I have no reference truly to how they were as leaders or as people.

I have no problem with people weighing those qualities subjectively as they see fit.

Most of those qualities I would imagine are somewhat reflected in on-ice performance, which in my opinion trumps everything else.

Everything I've heard about Lindros for example was that he was less than ideal as a leader but his productivity on-ice trumps all of that.

Everything I've heard about Briere was that he was an excellent lockerroom presence and his impact on the ice equally also reflected that.

A guy like Therien was obviously a great lockerroom guy, else he wouldnt have survived as long as he did, but personally if he would make my personal top 25 it would be at the very end (if that). The Theriens all the way down to the Bellemare's, etc. were/are great guys but to me take massive hits due to my own opinion that they were hot trash as players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad