Music: 25 Great Metal Albums (you can vote for 8 and change your vote)

The Top 8 Metal Albums Listed are ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
1702597844937.png

The Top 8 Metal Albums Listed are ... . You can vote for 8 and change your vote.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Of that list?

Paranoid
Master of Puppets
The Number of the Beast
Reign in Blood
Ride the Lightning
Iron Maiden
Vol. 4
Holy Diver

None of those are my favorite by those specific artists save Ride the Lightning and Holy Diver, though. Master of Reality, Powerslave, and Show No Mercy, plus either Stained Class or Unleashed in the East (if one were to include live albums) for Judas Priest and Ace of Spades or No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith for Motorhead.

Solo Ozzy is mostly boring or awful, and I absolutely cannot stand Pantera - as far as I'm concerned, they're a straight garbage-tier band (just a very popular one).

Megadeth kind of bores me too, honestly - Mustaine is both an odious person and a terrible singer, and none of the guitar or songwriting is enough to maintain my interest (probably because I was already into black and death metal by the time I ever heard any Megadeth). I'd probably pick Rust in Peace or Killing is My Business if I had to pick something, but I honestly just never listen to them.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
In this order:

British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Paranoid
Vol. 4
Ride the Lightning
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Urgh, I guess number of the beast is 8th. Which I happen to think is one of the most overrated metal albums of all time.

I find MOP an utter bore these days. Hasn't aged well for me at all. So I refuse to put it on my list. And truth be told, at least I like Children of the Damned and Hallowed be thy name on Number.

Blizzard of Oz actually might be the most overrated metal album of all time. Love Sabbath, don't care for solo Ozzy expect a couple of songs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
In this order:

British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Paranoid
Vol. 4
Ride the Lightning
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Urgh, I guess number of the beast is 8th. Which I happen to think is one of the most overrated metal albums of all time.

I find MOP an utter bore these days. Hasn't aged well for me at all. So I refuse to put it on my list. And truth be told, at least I like Children of the Damned and Hallowed be thy name on Number.

Blizzard of Oz actually might be the most overrated metal album of all time. Love Sabbath, don't care for solo Ozzy expect a couple of songs.
NotB is a pretty uneven album but if nothing else Hallowed Be Thy Name is worth the price of admission all on its own.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Preference in no order:

Paranoid, Vol 4, Black Sabbath, Lightning, Puppets, Reign in Blood, Blizzard, Diary

Most legendary:

Paranoid, Puppets (though I prefer Lightning), Beast, Vengeance or British Steel (flip a coin), Reign in Blood, Vulgar, Peace Sells, Blizzard

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
In this order:

British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Paranoid
Vol. 4
Ride the Lightning
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden is my favourite band, and I find "Number of the Beast" hugely overrated. The title track and "The Prisoner" are probably the two best songs on the album. ("Hallowed be thy Name" is great, but the revelation that the song was plagiarized hurts). The rest of the album is frustratingly inconsistent. I wouldn't put it in the band's top ten albums (in terms of quality... of course, in terms of popularity and cultural impact, it's probably first).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Iron Maiden is my favourite band, and I find "Number of the Beast" hugely overrated. The title track and "The Prisoner" are probably the two best songs on the album. ("Hallowed be thy Name" is great, but the revelation that the song was plagiarized hurts). The rest of the album is frustratingly inconsistent. I wouldn't put it in the band's top ten albums (in terms of quality... of course, in terms of popularity and cultural impact, it's probably first).
Iron Maiden is also my favorite band, and I mostly agree. Run to the Hills is also a great song, but over exposure has blunted it's impact quite a bit. That galloping riff and great chorus though? Objectively good even if I don't want to hear it next time I go to see them.

Good/Great songs on NotB - Hallowed Be Thy Name, NotB, Run to the Hills, The Prisoner, Children of the Damned

Fine? songs - 22 Acacia Avenue

Bad songs - Gangland, Invaders

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Iron Maiden is also my favorite band, and I mostly agree. Run to the Hills is also a great song, but over exposure has blunted it's impact quite a bit. That galloping riff and great chorus though? Objectively good even if I don't want to hear it next time I go to see them.

Good/Great songs on NotB - Hallowed Be Thy Name, NotB, Run to the Hills, The Prisoner, Children of the Damned

Fine? songs - 22 Acacia Avenue

Bad songs - Gangland, Invaders
I was glad they didn't play any of the "big three" songs from NotB on the latest tour. I can understand why that might disappoint someone who hasn't seen them live before, but I like that it gave them space in the setlist to play a bunch of songs that either have never been played live before, or some of that have been out of rotation since the 1980's.

I agree "Invaders" is a bad song. But it has one of the best bass performances from Harris - fun and challenging to play.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I was glad they didn't play any of the "big three" songs from NotB on the latest tour. I can understand why that might disappoint someone who hasn't seen them live before, but I like that it gave them space in the setlist to play a bunch of songs that either have never been played live before, or some of that have been out of rotation since the 1980's.

I agree "Invaders" is a bad song. But it has one of the best bass performances from Harris - fun and challenging to play.
Maiden has one of those discographies where they could have completely different set lists for tours and they'd probably be able to get a solid 3 shows with no overlap.

Look - you have to play Iron Maiden at every show. Has to happen, and it has to happen right before the encore. Other than that? Mix it up a bit.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm actually of the opinion that Number of the Beast has no bad songs - not even Gangland or Invaders. I can do without hearing Run to the Hills or Halloween Be Thy Name anymore though, but that's again just overexposure.

I just think Powerslave, Killers, and Piece of Mind are even better.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Reactions: TheAngryHank

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Multiple albums by Priest but no Defenders of the Faith

Multiple albums by Maiden but no Powerslave

Multiple albums by Metallica but no Kill 'Em All

Melissa but no Don't Break the Oath

Am I just out of touch? :D

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Multiple albums by Priest but no Defenders of the Faith

Multiple albums by Maiden but no Powerslave

Multiple albums by Metallica but no Kill 'Em All

Melissa but no Don't Break the Oath

Am I just out of touch? :D
The first half of Defenders is very good, the second half is pretty weak. I wouldn't put it among the five best Priest albums (same with SfV, honestly).

I did swap out MoP for Melissa.

I was actually thinking about this - the only metal album I'd give a perfect 100% score I can think of is Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, of all things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3