News Article: 25 Best Senators’ Memories From 25 Years at Canadian Tire Centre

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Great article. Great writer. Was at only one of these games. :(

There was a special birthday in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata a couple of weeks ago.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-best-memories-canadian-tire-centre/

Canadian Tire Centre turns 25. Its doors first opened on Jan. 15, 1996, for a Bryan Adams concert. The Senators played their first game in their new arena on Jan. 17, 1996, when they lost to the visiting Montreal Canadiens.
Canadian-Tire-Centre-angle-1200x900.jpg

Canadian Tire Centre (Jeff Morris/THW)

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I consider myself very fortunate to have been in attendance for Game 3 of the Finals run.

I'll always remember it fondly, even if the rest of the series didn't turn out so great.

The whole building was shaking. Fireworks in the parking lot post game.

I spent my entire Timmy's paycheck for 2 seats in the very last row, that I bought off a scalper on UsedOttawa.com. It was worth every penny.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I remember all of those. I was like 11 for the Kravchuk goal but I member. I miss the good days.

Coolest things I was in the arena for were:

Ovie scoring 4 goals and Fisher putting up 3 in the same game.

The Neil hit on Boychuk. I was as high in the nose bleeds as you can be and I felt the impact lol

and also the game we eliminated the Islanders. Saw the handshake line which I'll always remember

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I was ten rows back from center ice for game 4 of the 1998 Devils Sens 1st round playoff. Alfie had a hattrick. The Sens had a 4-0 lead entering the 3rd period and Damian Rhodes almost gave it all away. Somehow the Sens hung on and won 4-3.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
a little earlier the J brother were talking about the future of arenas. And the conversation went towards, patios' , open party spaces. Pretty much what you see at Landsdown for RedBlacks games

Would it work for hockey
. Will "mostly young" people drive in the middle of winter to have a party..with little focus on the game. Out in Kanata (or elsewhere) and indoors. A 9 game Redblack in summer is one thing, 41 in winter is another. As not to mention dropping $50 to get in, another $50 inside to drink. Add to it $10-$15 as your share of the parking. Is there enough 21-49 year olds to pack the 3,000-10,000 spots for potentially 41 home dates, 0-12 playoff dates, 2-3 preseason dates?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Was at 2 of these games! Surprised Big Rig's retirement isn't on the list as I was at that too. Other memories that were not so good for the Sens but were memorable nonetheless: I was at Johan Franzen's 5 goal game, and went to go see Mcdavid play in 2018 and he had 2G + 2A

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Article talks about game 2, but I went to game 4 of that 2013 series against the habs and it was pretty magical. Thats the one where we won in overtime and they let that brutal kicked in goal by zib stand.

Habs fans had been up by 2 all game and were feeling pretty confident. Never got so many high-fives in my life when we came back in the final minute and then won in overtime.

Easily my favourite sens memory. Place was in a violent frenzy.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Going to game 3 of the Stanley Cup. The only game they won in that series. Also, going to the Hamburglar game when Lazar ate the hamburger that was thrown on the ice.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Growing up in Ottawa and happy to be in nosebleeds (and a Sens nut) I have been fortunate to be at most of these but I would alter some order and add a few as well

1. Gretzky farewell is the only non-playoff game with as much emotion, build-up and post game pomp as you will ever find. Everyone in the building was in on the secret and the Senators players and Org did us all proud that night.

Only bad part was 99 was brilliant & should have had about 5 points but nobody could finish for him. It is easily, as far as NHL hockey is concerned, one of the most historic nights in that building.

2. OT - Havlat to Van Allen in 2003 playoffs over NJD was beautiful and made this guy believe we could go to final...game 7 still haunts me.

3. Next year Fisher OT game 6 against the Leafs...game 7 still haunts us all.

4. Turris OT 2017 & JGP 4 goals including OT winner...that entire run was magic!!!!!

5. Speaking of which...MacArthur 1st against Boston in 2017 off feed from Bobby. Could be loudest I have hear that arena outside of WJHC '09...too bad a fight off faceoff slowed it down.

6. Neil tuning Glass after blind side on Dion...(Turris OT winner game I believe as well) I said 2017 was magic...

7. Alfie shorthanded against Pens.

8. Turris OT from Jimmy O'B **not to be confused with all the future faves from Jimmy S yet to come**

9. Just the line fight against the Habs...the game was great but that 1 minute alone was worth price of admission and years worth of trash talk against Habs fans.

10. Boo Heatley game. Nothing unites people more than shared animosity. From national media to local radio everyone knew Whany Cheatley was going to get skewered and while the Ottawa Senators lost it was a statement game for the local fans. I don't believe any player has ever received as consistently hostile a reception as Dany Douchebag did that night.

It was glorious.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I was in the building for Pageau’s 4 goal game against the Rangers. What a night!

The only time I have heard CTC louder - and it’s actually not even close - the 2009 WJC semis Canada vs Russia. What. A. Game. Taveres to Eberle for the tying goal with less than a second, the building went from silent sorrow to absolute thunderous applause that had the over-capacity house shaking faster than you could blink. Then the win in OT. Not a Senators moment, but wow, sure glad I picked up the nosebleed tix on a resale site for that one.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Peak for me was being at Game 3 of the Buffalo series in 2007. I remember everyone chanting "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP!" while we were pouring into the concourse after the game. High energy crowd back then, fun times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad