Washington Capitals

Braden Holtby

Marcus Johansson

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/23-players-elect-salary-arbitration

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Here comes the Tim Kennedy style buyout for Phill Varone.

I assume he's mostly looking for more on his AHL half of the deal. I think he makes about 60 grand right now. Akeson is going to make twice that for Amerks on his two-way, and Sanguinetti more like 200,000. Considering his production, Varone's worth six-figures for the Amerks.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Varone, ok bud.

Other than that, very interested in the Steppan and Hoffman deals, and what NJ will do with Gelinas.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Derek Stepan is going to arbitration with that ROR deal tucked in his back pocket. I can't imagine the Rags are pleased.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Varone, ok bud.

Other than that, very interested in the Steppan and Hoffman deals, and what NJ will do with Gelinas.

At first, I thought it was stupid, and now I think he has a case. He's clearly a career AHLer whose AHL salary is a fraction of what good-quality guys at that level make. He has no case to raise his NHL salary, but if an arbitrater can add to the back half, he might make another 40 grand.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I still think Craig Smith would be a great name to have here.

Smith could take Foligno's spot when we trade him for a Dman.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
At first, I thought it was stupid, and now I think he has a case. He's clearly a career AHLer whose AHL salary is a fraction of what good-quality guys at that level make. He has no case to raise his NHL salary, but if an arbitrater can add to the back half, he might make another 40 grand.

on the "this matters-o-meter", phil varone's contract ranks at a 2/10, I couldn't care less if he thinks he's underpaid

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Varone will probably sign before then. He's only giving up a chance to sign an offer sheet which he wasn't going to get anyways.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
on the "this matters-o-meter", phil varone's contract ranks at a 2/10, I couldn't care less if he thinks he's underpaid

He didn't ask if you cared, nor did anyone in this thread. It's important to Phil Varone because it's his livelihood. If you don't want to discuss it, then find a thread that's not about salary arbitration.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Yeah, you're right. His career and life shouldn't make any difference just because you don't care if he's underpaid.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
He didn't ask if you cared, nor did anyone in this thread. It's important to Phil Varone because it's his livelihood. If you don't want to discuss it, then find a thread that's not about salary arbitration.

my post got quoted and the person didnt understand my meaning, so I told him, and my comments were about his salary arbitrary, I pointed out three I was interested in and then commented on the only player involved with the Sabres

but no ones talking about that, you're taking issue with my feelings about his life and livelihood and all I was talking about was his relation to the Buffalo Sabres, take the human interest commentary to CNN

If Murray invests anything but the bare minimum in Varone then he's wasting his time, because the player isn't worth it, had he been playing for the San Jose Sharks I wouldn't have even mentioned it

3 players pushed management last season; Grigorenko, Zadorov, Lemieux

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC - #Sabres/#Amerks center Phil Varone, an RFA, has opted for salary arbitration. He could still sign before the hearing date.

My guess - Phil Varone is seeing the large AHL salaries handed out to others and believes his production warrants major boost from $62,500.

@BNHarrington - The #Sabres gave a qualifying offer to Phil Varone but he has opted for salary arbitration.

‏Agree with @kevinoDandC - Varone likely looking for boost of $62k AHL salary given big FA money #Sabres spent last week on AHL deals.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
@kevinoDandC - #Sabres/#Amerks center Phil Varone, an RFA, has opted for salary arbitration. He could still sign before the hearing date.

My guess - Phil Varone is seeing the large AHL salaries handed out to others and believes his production warrants major boost from $62,500.

@BNHarrington - The #Sabres gave a qualifying offer to Phil Varone but he has opted for salary arbitration.

‏Agree with @kevinoDandC - Varone likely looking for boost of $62k AHL salary given big FA money #Sabres spent last week on AHL deals.

Good for him. He's probably earned a raise on that $62k AHL salary.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Here comes the Tim Kennedy style buyout for Phill Varone.

I still think Craig Smith would be a great name to have here.

Smith could take Foligno's spot when we trade him for a Dman.

Good for him. He's probably earned a raise on that $62k AHL salary.

My guess is that with the signings Murray made (Rodrigues, Bailey, Baptiste) on the wing and with Cal O'Reilly and Schaller likely going to be the top 2 centers this year in Rochester, Varone may have to be careful in overpricing himself in Murray's eyes. I don't think Varone's size or playing style really fit the "heavy" style that Murray wants and while Varone provides good production for the Amerks, he's not probably no more than an insurance policy for injuries in Buffalo. Right now, it seems he might be further down the totem pole of options for Buffalo to call up than he was the past 2 years.

The Tim Kennedy reference isn't an irrelevant one IMO....

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Craig Smith won't do a single thing for Buffalo that David Legwand isn't already going to do for us.

Craig Smith: 25 years old. Past 2 seasons: 161 GP. 96 Pts. Pts/60 minutes: 2.08 (really good)
David Legwand. 34 years old. ..................101 GP. 38 Pts. Pts/60: 1.17.

Smith would have lead the sabres in scoring the past 2 seasons. (Yes I know he would not have scored as much if he were on the Sabres.)

The point is, he's a lot younger and can contribute a lot more offensively.

You weren't thinking of Craig Adams were you?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Derek Stepan is going to arbitration with that ROR deal tucked in his back pocket. I can't imagine the Rags are pleased.

I don't think O'Reilly's deal is relevant actually.

12.9 Rules of Procedure.
[...]
(g) Evidence.
[...](iii) The following categories of evidence are inadmissible and shall not be considered by the Salary Arbitrator:
(A) Any SPC the term of which began when the Player party to such SPC was not a Group 2 Player;

When O'Reilly's upcoming contract takes effect, he will not be a Group 2 Player (as he would, barring the extension, be eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency). As such, it should not be admissible in his arbitration hearing. The contract that O'Reilly is currently on, the two year deal he signed in July of 2014, however will be admissible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad