Post-Game Talk: 22/11/15, Devils 3 | Canucks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
:laugh: (yeah; was referring to the Conservative attack ad)

How many teams though are completely devoid of any kind of talent at that level?

That's the point I am trying to make. Not many teams have Sedin-talent on their roster.

If we had better secondary support and defense, we'd easily be a top team in the West. The Sedins aren't slowing down at all evident by their 9 point game night. How often does this happen? Even Crosby+Malkin haven't had those nights for a while.

The problem is roster management.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I don't care how many power plays the Canucks had last night, Henrik shouldn't be playing 24 minutes on any night, not at his age, and especially not on back-to-backs. Horvat was playing well last night and could have taken more, although the other two... maybe not. It's fun to watch the Sedins when they're playing like they are, but it isn't going to last at this rate.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I don't care how many power plays the Canucks had last night, Henrik shouldn't be playing 24 minutes on any night, not at his age, and especially not on back-to-backs. Horvat was playing well last night and could have taken more, although the other two... maybe not. It's fun to watch the Sedins when they're playing like they are, but it isn't going to last at this rate.

We've been saying that for years and the Sedins are showing no signs of fatigue or decline regardless of what people want to believe. Their game is cerebral, their hockey-IQ is among the best in the league and what they need now is better support if we want to push for a Cup.

Once the Sedins retire, Canuck fans will realize they are generational talents and it'll be a decade or more before we see someone like them in a Canuck jersey.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Sedins have it in them to make this team a contender. Problem is, we don't have much support. If our secondary scoring just got 1 or 2 goals here and there and better defending, we could easily be a 10+ win team right now

Our secondary scoring hasn't been a problem this year, so blaming them makes zero sense. Our problem has been defense and goaltending.

It's funny the lengths people will go to in order to make up excuses for the Sedins even when there isn't even any criticism for them. Offense has been fine.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We've been saying that for years and the Sedins are showing no signs of fatigue or decline regardless of what people want to believe. Their game is cerebral, their hockey-IQ is among the best in the league and what they need now is better support if we want to push for a Cup.

Easy to say, hard to do. Talent can't be acquired for nothing. Below the Sedins we have a group of fading vets who have zero trade value and a bunch of kids who are too raw and of unknown upside to bring much back either. A lack of drafting success from 2005-2011 has left a gaping hole in terms of our bottom 9 talent which is why we are where we are today.

Once the Sedins retire, Canuck fans will realize they are generational talents and it'll be a decade or more before we see someone like them in a Canuck jersey.

Generational? Like as in Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid-level?

Uh no.

Unless you mean the twin thing or have a much looser definition of generational talent.

They are stars, even super stars if you will. But we have also supported them with one of the better teams in the league from 2009 to 2013 and the results have not yielded a cup. Now we are older, less talented, and more cap strapped than ever. Somehow we are going to push for a cup with this squad (or some version of it) when we couldn't get past the second round in 4 of 5 years from 2009-13 with a *much* better team?

Uh, good on ya for keeping a positive attitude I guess...

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The Sedins are superstars, I don't know how you can argue against that.

Generation talents? Eh, probably not but they're on the same tier as Thornton and Datsyuk. Older yes but absolutely superstars.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Uh no. They're nowhere close to being generational talents. Are you seriously comparing the Sedins to Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Crosby? :shakehead

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah I guess I used the wrong term for them. I don't consider them on Crosby-level, but their tandem together is generational and something the Canuck fans won't see for a while after they retire.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

I was referring to in-season fatigue/injury like we saw in the Torts year, not overall decline. I agree they'll produce well for a while yet if they're managed properly.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The Sedins are generational in some aspects. They have generational hockey IQ and chemistry. But they aren't really generational talents.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah I guess I used the wrong term for them. I don't consider them on Crosby-level, but their tandem together is generational and something the Canuck fans won't see for a while after they retire.

Being twins makes them unique for sure, but as others have said their talent and impact on the game probably closest to someone like Joe Thornton. Very good players, certain worthy of the "superstar" moniker, and are likely HHOF bound (though maybe not first ballot).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are a .500 team, at least that's the opinion of the coach....and .500 in this three-point NHL lands you anywhere from 10-13th in the conference....if they deal veterans at the deadline, chances are they'll be closer to 14th than 10th, which makes a big difference at the draft table...so whether Vrbata bumps his slump or Hamhuis solidifies his game hardly matters, other than what they'd fetch on the trade market.:help:

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Our secondary scoring hasn't been a problem this year, so blaming them makes zero sense. Our problem has been defense and goaltending.

It's funny the lengths people will go to in order to make up excuses for the Sedins even when there isn't even any criticism for them. Offense has been fine.
Just curious where you were in the PGT after Saturday night's game, y2k? Scanned the PGT, didn't see much of the smiling Lesnar. Just figured that maybe, like the rest of us, you were letting the warm glow of a 9-point Sedin night wash over you. Letting it nestle all snugly in there. Appreciating the once-in-a-generation nature of their dynamic. It's cool, none of us would blame you. :)

On an unrelated note, last night's game really made me miss Cory Schneider. And not just his level of skill, either - the interview he gave Murph afterwards was pure Cory. He's such a wonderful, insightful, smart guy in a sport that too often disparages those qualities.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Uh no. They're nowhere close to being generational talents. Are you seriously comparing the Sedins to Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Crosby? :shakehead

I am.

I most certainly am.

Just like Jagr is a generational talent.

or Lindros or Pronger or Lidstrom or Chara

I shake my head at your shaking of your head.

You should really think about appreciating what we have right now instead of constantly complaining about what could be. You'll be happier that way.

The Jesus*

They're generational simply because they're identical twin superstar hockey players who each have an Art Ross under their belt. Which is just an absurd thing to happen in any sport.

But as individual players? Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad