Prospect Info: #216OA - Hurricanes Select LW Massimo Rizzo

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I had either forgotten or never knew he came to Denver. I can walk to the rink from my place, I do a Friday morning skate there sometimes and they often put us out on the main rink instead of the practice rink. That spot where he celebrates is the same exact spot I ate shit spinning off a guy and almost beaned myself on the boards this past Friday.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Similarly I had no idea he ended up at Denver, IIRC he was committed to UND before the draft and hadn't heard anything that changed that, but here we are.

He switched university commitments after the NCAA season was cancelled last year, probably to be closer to his native British Columbia (though this is just speculation on my part, so take that with a grain of salt).

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Rizzo continues his high-volume scoring. He has 9 goals and 11 assists in 14 games. He really loves playing Arizona St. He 3 goals and an assist in the first 2 games of the season and then 2 goals and 2 assists during the games on the 3rd and 4th. just another 7th rounders doing well.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Rizzo was yet another one of those guys that slipped through the cracks because of #size, but he has a lot of skill. One thing that may be an issue with projectability is that heading into the draft, I thought that he was a bit of a jack of all trades, rather than a guy that specialized in one thing, so (at the time) I thought that he had more AAAA All-Star potential a la Poturalski/Smith/Noesen rather than a truly NHL-caliber one. Said players, though, don't usually break out offensively during their very first season in the NCAA, so I'm doing a second take, at least a little bit. Remember, though, he was the second-to-last player taken, period, in 2019, so even that outcome would be well-above the usual value here. And if he does become an NHLer for anyone a la Freddy Gaudreau, that's found money.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad