Confirmed with Link: 2109 draftee Kallionkieli signed to ELC

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I believe he's eligible to play in the AHL next season.

So depending on how he looks in camp he could spend time between the ECHL/AHL or be loaned to a Liiga club but he was drafted by the (guess who) Wheat Kings and that's probably where he'll play.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe he's eligible to play in the AHL next season.

So depending on how he looks in camp he could spend time between the ECHL/AHL or be loaned to a Liiga club but he was drafted by the (guess who) Wheat Kings and that's probably where he'll play.

Only because he was drafted out of the USHL, not CHL.

My guess is he's not physically prepared to play with men (yet).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
He can’t go to the AHL until he’s 20.

Drafted out of the CHL, a player cannot be in the AHL until age 20 (unless junior season over).

But he was drafted out of the USHL. (Europeans not drafted out of CHL can play in AHL at age 18.) Subsequently, he was drafted by WHL team.

Do you have a copy of the NHL-CHL transfer agreement? (I don't)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Drafted out of the CHL, a player cannot be in the AHL until age 20 (unless junior season over).

But he was drafted out of the USHL. (Europeans not drafted out of CHL can play in AHL at age 18.) Subsequently, he was drafted by WHL team.

Do you have a copy of the NHL-CHL transfer agreement? (I don't)
In this case his being European has nothing to do with it. Like you said, the "20" rule only applies to someone coming out of major Canadian JR (CHL- WHL, OHL, QMJHL). US/Canadian players drafted out of HS, College, USHL or one of the Canadian Junior A leagues (BCHL, AJHL) can sign with an NHL team and play in the AHL with no problem.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So Kallionkieli can spend three seasons in the AHL developing, is that why he was signed so quickly? Because he doesn't have to go anywhere, we can develop him directly?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Can anyone tell me why the 139th pick in the draft...a draft that was just a few weeks ago was just signed so quick?

Not the best contract management in my books? Does Vegas think this guy is another Stone type?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Can anyone tell me why the 139th pick in the draft...a draft that was just a few weeks ago was just signed so quick?

Not the best contract management in my books? Does Vegas think this guy is another Stone type?
With him signed they have 44 contracts. Teams can have 50. 44 is a pretty low number. In addition, both Kallionkielli's and Cotter's contracts are eligible to slide. He was also taken by a WHL team, so if they want the team can take a look at him in and (if he doesn't play more than 9 games in Vegas, which would be doubtful) return send him to the Wheat Kings without blowing a year off his entry deal.

Not sure what you see as the downside to signing him. The usual downside- not enough contract slots doesn't apply here. As long as you are reasonably high on a prospect why not? I also don't know what you mean by "Stone type"... if you mean stylistically as a player... no he's about as far as that type as possible.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
42 NHL contracts plus two slideable NHL contracts = 44. RFA Schuldt still unsigned.

And zero players signed to AHL contracts by Chicago.

Usually need about 50 under contract (to play that season) with injury call ups.

8/15 is the deadline for college graduating players to sign with the organization that drafted them. Could be that VGK has their eyes on one or more guys.

AHL Chicago does need more on their roster, so any one signed will probably be slated for AHL duty.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Why sign him if we would send him to juniors? That doesn't make sense.

We didn't sign Krebs or Korczak or anyone drafted above him yet. There isn't a reason to sign him if he doesn't play in the AHL this season.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad