GDT: #21|Islanders vs Penguins|Tue Nov19 @7PMest|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
7u9hf2O.gif

:isles at :pens
The Penguins' most recent bugaboo returns to downtown Pittsburgh. The Islanders continue their resurgence into relevancy and look to test the depleted Pens.

Penguins Lines
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Tanev
Galchenyuk-Blandisi-Simon
AstonReese-Blueger-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Schultz
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Riikola

Murray
Jarry

Islanders Lines
Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Brassard
DalColle-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Bailey-Koivula-Komarov

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield

Greiss
Varlamov

Lets get this house sorted, boys..

cf86735dc982da3cd2e890ca9f531508e4a329d302b807ea2f18b3c608a4aa16.jpg

Let's
Go
Pens!

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll probably miss this game and be on radio for it, but I think Jarry deserves the start for this one, without a shred of doubt, it is him that has earned to start this game right now.

It's very risky to "listen to offers" on Jarry (amongst a few of the others too) but whatever, kid has been rock solid all season, deserves back to back starts.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'll probably miss this game and be on radio for it, but I think Jarry deserves the start for this one, without a shred of doubt, it is him that has earned to start this game right now.

It's very risky to "listen to offers" on Jarry (amongst a few of the others too) but whatever, kid has been rock solid all season, deserves back to back starts.

Jarry does need more games.

Murray deserves more time off.

Buuuuut....

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jarry does need more games.

Murray deserves more time off.

Buuuuut....
I would have gone Jarry for this game, then if he plays well, the next Isles game and give Murray the 2nd of the back 2 back vs the Devils because Murray is a guy that will want that game to get a win which is what he should have had last time.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

I was firmly in the DeSmith camp after last year and felt this board was sometimes particularly hypercritical on his performance. JR was brilliant/fortunate to stash him at WBS at the beginning of the season so teams with need for cap friendly G didn't pounce. Jarry, albeit in a tiny sample size, has looked really good this year, and I very well could be wrong. Would I also be wrong wondering if a platoon of those two may be a viable option over spending $7+ million + however many years for a 178lb, six foot four, semi-fragile G? I love Mur, no back to back without him for sure, and he deserves whatever he can get, but I'm not convinced he is the most prudent call for a team with our financial constraints and closing window. Of course I will immediately forget this post upon his next shutout...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was firmly in the DeSmith camp after last year and felt this board was sometimes particularly hypercritical on his performance. JR was brilliant/fortunate to stash him at WBS at the beginning of the season so teams with need for cap friendly G didn't pounce. Jarry, albeit in a tiny sample size, has looked really good this year, and I very well could be wrong. Would I also be wrong wondering if a platoon of those two may be a viable option over spending $7+ million + however many years for a 178lb, six foot four, semi-fragile G? I love Mur, no back to back without him for sure, and he deserves whatever he can get, but I'm not convinced he is the most prudent call for a team with our financial constraints and closing window. Of course I will immediately forget this post upon his next shutout...
Small sample size or not, Jarry had this pedigree to his game, he won his spot in camp and has been stellar in every game he's been called upon. He's literally done what you expect out of him, he's even played like a #1 so far.

The fact that this coaching staff still continues to shaft him is bizarre as f***. You are without Letang, Crosby, Hornqvist, and Bjugstad for regulars and you need as many 2pts as you can and you're playing this "lets not play our hottest goalie" game? They gave Murray the lob vs the Devils, some "fluky" goals sunk it while the Pens played their asses off, then vs the Leafs, Jarry was likely expected to just make it so the Pens didn't embarrass themselves, because the way that whole situation was set up, is bullshit to me. Now what, they might play Murray vs the Islanders when Jarry deserves the start? Starter or not, that's some really terrible "accountability" and "earning your spots" that this team strokes itself off to.

Quite possibly the dumbest shit I've seen this coaching staff do lately.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
AG couldn't score with better talent on his line.....now in a role where he should drive the play watch him get 2 goals
He was hurt in camp and is playing catch up, while I joke about him being a tool, he hasn't had a fair shake yet and still needs more games to continue getting his groove on this team.

I think we're on the cusp of him breaking out, scoring wise. In these next 3 games, he'll have a couple.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Tough decision that would be risky....and take alot of guts to do period after MM winning b2b cups. He's not 32 like Kessel. He could still go on to become an elite goalie in this league and more of the goalie we saw during those cups.

Good news is Jarry gives us another option period. It looks like its helping Murray(like with Fleury as the backup) and gives the Pens more leverage in case MM does want a deal this team prob shouldn't pay. Still hoping MM decides to hold off on that(with the promise from Pens hes their future) so we can use that cap for a few others we need to reup and enough left to add a legit FA(or trade...assuming JJ keeps this up and we move him before/during then).

Theyll have to pay Petts. And while they could hold off on McCann/Kahun longer term , are we going to want them to? Maybe a price we'll have to pay to keep enough cap for all while leaving enough to possibly add a big piece. Whether thats on D(Tyson Barrie type) or if we do replace AG looking for another top winger(Hoffman type...which is possible since they dont want to lose Dadanov and only have room for 1).

If AG goes....We got Guentzel/Hoffman as our top LW to go with Sid/Geno.

If AG does pan out here and decides to stay for cheap on a 1-2 year extension just to continue to be on a competitive team and keep building up his value(not wanting to go to a 4th team before turning 26 and maybe never getting that longterm deal) then we go defense. This all assumes we move Bjugstad, ZAR, and either trade Schultz or let him walk. Id also move Simon. We cant keep em all and I think Poulin can start his career in Pitt next year. 19 to start season, 20 by Feb.

Guentzel - Crosby - Poulin
Hoffman - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
Lafferty - Blueger - Tanev

Dumo - Letang
Petts - Barrie
Marino - Riikola
Almari/POJ with a full year in WBS...we will see how they progress.

With the year Barrie is having so far would he command what others have been getting in FA? If so they could just go after someone else, but theyd likely have the cap even with us having to reup a few players. Bjugstad(4.1mil), JJ(3.25), ZAR(1.0), AG(4.9), etc

Thats plenty to give to RFAs while being able to bring in top FA. Or if JR already handles it midseason. Who knows.

We have an idea already of who we should likely move on from(Bjugstad) but I'd still hold off on AG for now. No reason not to wait and see how he plays in Jan/Feb. When others usually took off after coming here for the first time(HBK line...Guentzel being called up. Rust/Sheary as well).

As for Poulin, since the rules make it so its either juniors again or NHL. I'd have him start his tenure with Pens asap. He's not a Sprong type prospect. Has the size and overall game to play at a young age. And Id rather him be up at 19/20 getting used to Sid/Geno than waiting another year while they get closer to 35 years old. Could even start him on 4th line with Blueger/Tanev the way the Leafs did with Kap. But Id try him with Sid/Jake as well..and see how he responds. Would turn 20 in Feb, could pull a Guentzel(close to it) type performance in the playoffs, who knows. And we are seeing Joel Farabee(19) do well so far on Flyers top line. Not nearly as built as Poulin.

These are all options we'll get a better idea on as the season progresses. If Poulin keeps this pace up in juniors why waste another year down there? While its important to not ruin a prospect, hes someone we should take that risk with since he could handle it and we care more about the windows of Sid/Geno/Letang era anyway . To me that comes first over anything else.

He Doesnt have to win ROY. Just improve enough during the season to be a diff maker in the playoffs.

As for the goalie situaton, another thing we have to see how it plays out. And hopefully go our why. But does give us more options if Jarry continues this pace. Along with CDS in WBS. Trade one of them, or pull of a risky move to go all in for this Window by trading Murray for a package that puts us over the top lineup wise. Assuming Jarry/CDS could get it done as a duo. Pretty sure most dont even want to entertain that idea but these are all things the Pens will be looking at. We don't know if MM decides he suddenly wants 8-9 mil a year ...who knows. While Jarry would settle for 2. We dont know how much things can change in a year.

So many diff routes we could take. So First things first, keep winning and we need each player(we likely plan on trading, to produce and up their value) as well as our prospects to continue their progress.

When I mention trading Simon, thats only if we are in playoff race and want to add a piece to go for it this year. He could get a good return when added with a pick or another prospect. we capitalize On him now while making room to sign the other RFAs. Sid will live. Someone like the Oilers who need wingers should be all over it(we take a chance on JP). Or we add him with Bjugstad in a deal that could land a top 6 forward/top 4 dman(depending on term)

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He was hurt in camp and is playing catch up, while I joke about him being a tool, he hasn't had a fair shake yet and still needs more games to continue getting his groove on this team.

I think we're on the cusp of him breaking out, scoring wise. In these next 3 games, he'll have a couple.

Yeah still way too early.

Like I said maybe being with Blandisi/Simon will allow him to take over that line and play his center role hes used to...instead of deferring. Who knows. But Id still rather see someone other than Blandisi even tho I know he has 2 more games as an emergency call up.

Either way we need goaltending on top of its game. The both of em.

How about no more 2-0 leads we have to come back from...can stop that trend now.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wht the hell is Tanman on line two?
He is way more into defensive roles than scoring roles.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah still way too early.

Like I said maybe being with Blandisi/Simon will allow him to take over that line and play his center role hes used to...instead of deferring. Who knows. But Id still rather see someone other than Blandisi even tho I know he has 2 more games as an emergency call up.

Either way we need goaltending on top of its game. The both of em.

How about no more 2-0 leads we have to come back from...can stop that trend now.

well thats no fun.
Our doom posters wont have any more fun either.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I don't. I just read an article today saying that he has been a moody prick in the past as well. That is not a good thing given his current production woes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would love to see Jarry playing tonight against the Isles, then Murray for the next home and home at NYI and then Jarry back on the second b2b against NJD....we need these division games and Murray has been playing too much...these games are going to be tight checking games, like the last ones, and a fluky soft goal is going to doom the Pens...Jarry has earned some more starts...of course, it’ll probably be Murray...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Galchenyuk - Blandisi - Simon might be the weirdest line I've ever seen this team assemble.

It's ugly...but it's interesting that Horny subbed in for Simon during some of the morning skate...I wonder whether when he's ready to play, Sully plans to have Gally-Blandisi/Bjug-Horny as a line and Simon will be the one to sit over Lafferty...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also looks like Murray is in the starters' net for the game day skate...guessing he starts tonight...unfortunately

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
It's ugly...but it's interesting that Horny subbed in for Simon during some of the morning skate...I wonder whether when he's ready to play, Sully plans to have Gally-Blandisi/Bjug-Horny as a line and Simon will be the one to sit over Lafferty...
If we play Blandisi over Simon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad