Pre-Game Talk: '21-22 Training Camp

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I dont think I'd move Staal up unless they really really don't want kotkaniemi at center. If its just a few games he should be able to fill in. Maybe stack his wings a little and go with a top 6 like this?

Nino Aho necas
Svech kotkaniemi teravainen

Again if its just a few games. If its longer term maybe not

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I dont think I'd move Staal up unless they really really don't want kotkaniemi at center. If its just a few games he should be able to fill in. Maybe stack his wings a little and go with a top 6 like this?

Nino Aho necas
Svech kotkaniemi teravainen

Again if its just a few games. If its longer term maybe not

Kotkaniemi was always 3C in Montreal. Does it make more sense to push him up even if Jordan does the heavy lifting?

I think Nino-Staal-TT could handle the defense along with Aho’s line, leaving Kotkaniemi a chance to center Jarvis and…Martinook? Lorentz?

Maybe your second line does make sense, although Martinook-Staal-Fast (or Jarvis) doesn’t look great as a 3rd line either.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It’s Staal, though. So even if KK is the center that replaces Trocheck, any notion of him playing “2C” instead of “bumping up Staal” is semantic. Staal is on the 1st PP, 1st PK, and takes the most defensive zone starts of anyone. KK would play with the more skilled guys and therefore would be the “2C” for a few games, this doesn’t mean anything from a value judgment perspective between him and Staal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not convinced it would be Jarvis that gets the nod if Trocheck can’t go. I get the whole 9 games thing, but if Rod thinks that Drury (or Rees or Suzuki) is more ready, a better fit, and gives the team a better chance to win, that’s who he’ll play. Still could be Jarvis, but it’s not a certainty imo.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m not convinced it would be Jarvis that gets the nod if Trocheck can’t go. I get the whole 9 games thing, but if Rod thinks that Drury (or Rees or Suzuki) is more ready, a better fit, and gives the team a better chance to win, that’s who he’ll play. Still could be Jarvis, but it’s not a certainty imo.

If Trocheck can’t go, I’d bet on RBA promoting Stepan into the top 9 with Drury taking Stephan’s spot on the 4th line. I won’t be surprised to see them keep Jarvis around, but would be surprised to see him play meaningful NHL minutes before being sent back.

I also don’t think there’s a chance he’d slide Kotkaniemi over from LW to C when he hasn’t had any reps at C all training camp.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Are they using the trocheck thing in some way just to be able to keep an extra player on roster for opening night to avoid having g to expose them to waivers and lose them in that last rush...

Make the other teams steal a few of other teams players and when we finally expose the player they don't have spots? Or won't be as likely to grab them?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Are they using the trocheck thing in some way just to be able to keep an extra player on roster for opening night to avoid having g to expose them to waivers and lose them in that last rush...

Make the other teams steal a few of other teams players and when we finally expose the player they don't have spots? Or won't be as likely to grab them?
I think yes. I think they’re using it to delay making some decisions.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Oilers fan popping in in peace. How did Leivo look in camp? Just looking at past stats it seems like he's a decent offensive contributor (especially on a 750k contract)?

Never heard much about him frankly. So probably not that great.

Reactions: ujju2

Svechnicanes

Oct 10, 2018
Oilers fan popping in in peace. How did Leivo look in camp? Just looking at past stats it seems like he's a decent offensive contributor (especially on a 750k contract)?

Saw him play in the 3-1 win over TBL and the loss at Nashville in the preszn finale. He did not look like the answer for the Canes last roster spot, but presumably would be a decent call up.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m mildly surprised they waived Leivo, with all the other vets they seemed intent on acquiring this summer. They had the option of sending Rees or Drury down without waivers to free up a slot to keep him, especially with Trocheck on IR. But…he didn’t seem to stand out, while Rees, Drury and Jarvis have. I really only think Drury has a shot at sticking this year, but it has to be a confidence boost for both Rees and Jarvis to basically have made the opening night roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad