Reichel-Suter-Shaw
Highmore-Kurashev-Carpenter

Keith-Boqvist
Kalynuk-Murphy
DeHann-Mitchell
Beaudin-Seabrook

Goalies???
You're forgetting Zadorov.
de Haan, Murphy, Shaw and Nylander are expansion draft candidates.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Never too early because this year already sucks

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Okulov
Reichel-Suter-Shaw
Highmore-Kurashev-Carpenter

Keith-Boqvist
Zadorov-Murphy
DeHann-Mitchell
Kalynuk-Seabrook

Goalies???

Konstantin Okulov from CSKA? What's the scouting on him?

I wonder if the new rebuild angle etc changes our ability to lend euro signings. Probably doesn't coz the more playtime could outweigh the negatives.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was reading the Athletic's Hawks preview and they said that Dach's top comps at 18 are Barkov and Couturier. Yes, please.

and here’s what was written about Boqvist:

“At the very least, the Blackhawks still have Boqvist and his narrative is similar to Dach’s. He too has a bright future with some intriguing comps. He’s a slick, under-sized defender whose best match is Ryan Ellis. Smaller statured defenders have taken the league by storm and they have Ellis to thank for paving the way. He started slow but eventually turned into one of the game’s best play-driving defensemen. There’s a wide range of outcomes here from Derrick Pouliot to even Erik Karlsson, but there is a path towards being a legitimate No. 1 defenseman.
For now, Boqvist is rated as a second pairing option, one who is strong at driving play on offense, but still struggles defensively.”

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Some pretty rough stuff written about Toews (performance related) in that preview:

“The Blackhawks have never really had a capable second-line center in their championship era and that’s because they were the rare team that didn’t need to. Jonathan Toews was good enough on his own and the second line had Kane, a puck-carrying god. For Toews, that hasn’t been the case for a while now and has become an even bigger issue in recent seasons as he’s dropped from elite, to first line, now down to high-end second line (partially due to his age). That may be unfair for a player who still scored 60 points in 70 games last season with an excellent 2.62 points-per-60 rate at five-on-five – his best mark since 2012-13 – but there’s some expected regression there. His personal shot rates have decreased and he had an 11 percent on-ice shooting percentage, which was again the highest since 2012-13.

“There aren’t many who can sustain an on-ice shooting percentage that high and the last time it happened for Toews he dropped back down two percentage points, right in line with his career average. That’s a safer bet for him.

“The bigger issue for Toews is his defense which has declined in eight (!) straight seasons, going from 1.66 expected goals against per 60 in 2012-13 to 3.07 last year, one of the league’s worst marks. He’s projected to have one of the league’s worst defensive impacts this season and doesn’t really have the offense to make up for it like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl do in Edmonton. Yes, that’s the level needed with defense that poor. Well, to be elite anyway. That Toews is still within spitting distance of first-line territory shows he still has some juice left on offense. His value will be sorely missed to open the season.”

“But there’s one more underreported issue for Toews and that’s his inability to draw penalties anymore plus his increased inclination to take them. He used to have an elite penalty differential, but now he’s one of the league’s worst players in that regard.”

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
“On defense, all of Chicago’s problems can be traced back to the decline of Duncan Keith as 2016-17 was the last year he really played a top pair level (coincidentally, the last year he played with Niklas Hjalmarsson ). Chicago has been without a true top pairing defenseman in each year since. The 37-year-old can still move the puck, but his defense has been porous to say the last in three years straight and it’s clear he can no longer handle the rigors of top pair duty.

“I’m not sure if Keith has much left, but the point is that if the emergence of Dach and Boqvist comes fast enough (which now means next year), it can be in time to move both Toews and Keith to a more appropriate role. They may not be the players they used to be, but they still have something to give towards the eventual solution.”

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Some pretty rough stuff written about Toews (performance related) in that preview:

“The Blackhawks have never really had a capable second-line center in their championship era and that’s because they were the rare team that didn’t need to. Jonathan Toews was good enough on his own and the second line had Kane, a puck-carrying god. For Toews, that hasn’t been the case for a while now and has become an even bigger issue in recent seasons as he’s dropped from elite, to first line, now down to high-end second line (partially due to his age). That may be unfair for a player who still scored 60 points in 70 games last season with an excellent 2.62 points-per-60 rate at five-on-five – his best mark since 2012-13 – but there’s some expected regression there. His personal shot rates have decreased and he had an 11 percent on-ice shooting percentage, which was again the highest since 2012-13.

“There aren’t many who can sustain an on-ice shooting percentage that high and the last time it happened for Toews he dropped back down two percentage points, right in line with his career average. That’s a safer bet for him.

“The bigger issue for Toews is his defense which has declined in eight (!) straight seasons, going from 1.66 expected goals against per 60 in 2012-13 to 3.07 last year, one of the league’s worst marks. He’s projected to have one of the league’s worst defensive impacts this season and doesn’t really have the offense to make up for it like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl do in Edmonton. Yes, that’s the level needed with defense that poor. Well, to be elite anyway. That Toews is still within spitting distance of first-line territory shows he still has some juice left on offense. His value will be sorely missed to open the season.”

“But there’s one more underreported issue for Toews and that’s his inability to draw penalties anymore plus his increased inclination to take them. He used to have an elite penalty differential, but now he’s one of the league’s worst players in that regard.”
I think Toews issues with defense are more team related than anything about him. Hossa's decline and then losing him altogether hurt him a lot. But, given what's going on with his health....there is an explanation for his decline in play.

Reactions: Muffinalt

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think whats been ignored but was noticeable at the time is how the league tried opening up scoring via calling stick checking tighter. Toews and Keith were constantly frustrated at calls when that began I believe in 2018. Also the face-off changes for Toews. How many times has he been angry at getting called out on the dots the past 2 years.

Obviously they're older and the talent is worse around but the height of the Hawks success was Q having everyone stick checking lots. Just like periods rise and fall when the Red Wings couldn't use their picking interference as much, it makes it hard to succeed when rule laxes you thrived off change.

Also, L-whatever his name is writer also the guy that claimed Toews must be cherrypicking a lot to explain his data.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Based on that Luszczyszyn article, sounds like he thinks we should hope next season is something like:

DeBrincat-Dach-Kubalik/Kane
??-Toews-Kubalik/Kane
Nylander-Strome-??
??-??-??

(all ?? two-way or defensive minded forwards)

Zadorov-Boqvist
Keith-Mitchell
de Haan-Murphy

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It's nice to know that the Hawks have 2 probable pieces of the next core in Dach and Boqvist. They need to suck for the next few years so they can build around them.

It was interesting to see him say Boqvist still has a clear chance of being a legit #1 defenseman (anywhere from Ellis to EK ceiling). It seems some have soured on him a bit after the rocky playoffs, so it’s nice to see someone basically say they’re overreacting.

Even with that though, I’d still take a D in 2021 if it’s BPA. Nashville has an Ellis and a Josi plus Johansen (another comp he used for Dach) and still finds it hard to go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
“I’m not sure if Keith has much left, but the point is that if the emergence of Dach and Boqvist comes fast enough (which now means next year), it can be in time to move both Toews and Keith to a more appropriate role. They may not be the players they used to be, but they still have something to give towards the eventual solution.”

Agree with this, should be the way going forward. We get two more high end picks (a d and a forward) and we're good.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kubalik - Janmark - DeBrincat
Kurashev - Wallmark - Kane
Smith - Soderberg - Carpenter
Quenneville - Kampf - Highmore
Shaw, Suter

Keith - Murphy
Zadorov - Boqvist
DeHaan - Mitchell
Seeler

Delia
Subban
Lankinen

Should change the logo into a tire fire.

EDIT: I misread the title. I did the 2021 lineup.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Kubalik - Toews - Reichel
DeBrincat - Dach - Kane
Suter - Strome - Kurashev
Carpenter - Wallmark - Hagel

Power - Mitchell
Keith - Boqvist
Zadorov - Regula

Delia
Lankinen

Status