20th Anniversary Team

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
As part of the Colorado Avalanche's 20th Anniversary Season presented by Avaya and Arrow Electronics, the club is excited to invite you, the fans, to vote on the top 20 Avs players throughout the past 20 years.

Eligible nominees meet one of the following criteria:
• They have had their jersey number retired (Sakic 19; Forsberg 21; Roy 33; Foote 52; Bourque 77);
• They are a forward or defensemen who played at least 246 regular-season games in an Avalanche sweater (equivalent of three full seasons);
• They are a goaltender who played a minimum of 75 regular-season games in an Avalanche sweater

A total of 12 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies will be named to the 20th Anniversary Team, which will be honored on Dec. 7, 2015.

Former President and General Manager, Pierre Lacroix, the architect of two Stanley Cup-winning teams, will also be recognized on this special night.

Voting begins on September 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM and will end on October 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM. Fans can register to vote HERE or via the Avalanche mobile app and can vote up to one time each day during the voting period. Three registered voters will be randomly selected to win a special 20th Anniversary prize

gonna have to think about this

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So forwards would be:

Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Lemieux
Kamensky
Drury
Tanguay
Stastny
Duchene
Deadmarsh
Yelle?
LAPERRIÈRE?

Defense
Foote
Bourque
Blake
Ozolins
Liles
EJ?

Goalies
Roy
Varly
^^No doubts there

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Saw this earlier, going to be interesting who gets voted in. Kinda fun they'll do this. I don't think Stastny makes the cut. Would be cool for Duchene to make it, would be neat to see him amongst the legends.

If y'all want a poll give me some more suggestions and I'll add it. Assuming OP doesn't mind.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Man, how I would love to see Lappy involved in this...he was one that shouldn't have got away in the manner he did. A victim of the infamous Lacroix "Take it or Leave It, No Negotiating" offers.

I imagine that Gusarov and Ozolinsh might find their way onto this team as well, and obviously would love to see Bourque apart of anything this year.

I think Budaj has a chance to make it onto this team as well (if they end up putting some sort of restriction on current players--I know the release doesn't say anything about that though).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I guess there's two questions. YOUR top 20 and who do you PREDICT gets in. Casual fans voting will probably lean toward name recognition. If MacKinnon had enough games it wouldn't shock me if he ended up with a lot of votes.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Man, how I would love to see Lappy involved in this...he was one that shouldn't have got away in the manner he did. A victim of the infamous Lacroix "Take it or Leave It, No Negotiating" offers.

I imagine that Gusarov and Ozolinsh might find their way onto this team as well, and obviously would love to see Bourque apart of anything this year.

I think Budaj has a chance to make it onto this team as well (if they end up putting some sort of restriction on current players--I know the release doesn't say anything about that though).

Varlamov reaches the goalie requirement and I think that "fan-favourite, elite goalie, 2nd best goalie in Avs history" beats out "Nice back-up goalie that's good at his job". We all appreciate what Budaj did as a back-up, however does he really have better moments then Varlamov? In the two seasons Varly has done more then Budaj or are we going to forget the constant issues with Budaj never taking that next step to be consistent enough as a starter?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Varlamov reaches the goalie requirement and I think that "fan-favourite, elite goalie, 2nd best goalie in Avs history" beats out "Nice back-up goalie that's good at his job". We all appreciate what Budaj did as a back-up, however does he really have better moments then Varlamov? In the two seasons Varly has done more then Budaj or are we going to forget the constant issues with Budaj never taking that next step to be consistent enough as a starter?

Which is why I said this:

(if they end up putting some sort of restriction on current players--I know the release doesn't say anything about that though)

If they don't add anymore rules to what they've released, then yeah, Varly makes it hands down, and I would obviously be very much in favor of that.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Forwards:
Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Lemieux
Kamensky
Drury
Tanguay
Stastny
Duchene
Deadmarsh
Landeskog
Mcleod:)help:)

Defense:
Foote
Bourque
Blake
Ozolinsh
Liles
EJ
maybe Skoula

Goalies:
Roy
Varlamov

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Forwards:
Sakic
Tangs
Hejduk
Kamensky
Forsberg
Staz
Yelle
Hinote
Deadmarsh
Lemieux
Drury
Landeskog

Defense:
Foote
Blake
Bourque
Ozo
Gusarov
Klemm

Goalies:
Patrick
Varly

No players in any particular order.
EJ could go instead of Klemm, but two cups are hard to dismiss.

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Tangs-Sakic-Hejduk
Lemieux-Forsberg-Kamensky
Brunette-Stastny-Deadmarsh
Drury-Yelle-Landy

Foote-Blake
Bourque-Klemm
Gursarov-Ozolinsh

Roy
Varles Barkley

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Lemieux
Drury
Tanguay
Stastny
Duchene
Deadmarsh
Laperriere
Kamensky
Brunette

Defense
Foote
Bourque
Blake
Ozolinsh
Liles
Morris

Goalies
Roy
Varly
^^No doubts there

member 116861

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kamensky - Sakic - Deadmarsh
Brunette - Stastny - Lemieux
Duchene - Yelle - Drury

Blake - Foote
Ozolinsh - Bourque
Liles - Johnson

Roy
Varlamov

Tough leaving out Laperriere and Landeskog but this is what I would go with.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Tangs-Sakic-Hejduk
Lemieux-Forsberg-Kamensky
Brunette-Stastny-Deadmarsh
Drury-Yelle-Landy

Foote-Blake
Bourque-Klemm
Gursarov-Ozolinsh

Roy
Varles Barkley

This is it pretty much.

Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Lemieux
Drury
Tanguay
Stastny
Duchene
Deadmarsh
Laperriere
Kamensky
Brunette

Defense
Foote
Bourque
Blake
Ozolinsh
Liles
Morris

Goalies
Roy
Varly
^^No doubts there

:laugh:

Hilarious.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
This is it pretty much.

Yup.
A post or two above I had Hinote in for Brunette, but else the same.

I think it's safe to say that if we don't include the players we have nowadays, these lists, especially for forwards, will be very similar.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
EJ could go instead of Klemm, but two cups are hard to dismiss.
If I remember correctly, Klemm played forward mostly during the Avs 96 Cup Run. Defense was Leschyschyn, Foote, Ozolinsh, Krupp, Gusarov, and Lefebvre, with Wolanin getting games early before he bombed. I'm not sure I'd have Klemm in my top 6 personally.

akadubin

Jun 28, 2013
Castle Rock
The Avalanche have said that hope to have all 20 "winners" present that night at Pepsi Center. I'm sure there will be some scheduling conflicts.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh man...

They got Skrastins up there for voting...not that it's bad, he absolutely deserves to be considered for the team, but it just brought back all the memories both good (what he did for us, for a large period of time) and bad (the accident)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad