2026 Winter Olympics

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Italian OC unable to get bids on new facilities for luge/Skelton/bobsled, and is looking for options. Including Lake Placid, NY.

Perhaps without hockey home, an alternate venue might be found?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

Italian OC unable to get bids on new facilities for luge/Skelton/bobsled, and is looking for options. Including Lake Placid, NY.

Perhaps without hockey home, an alternate venue might be found?
How do you bid on a winter Olympics without having a rock-solid plan for having the venues in place?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

NHL has offered North American venue for hockey (as they have for previous games, but it's never been accepted). Torino is possible alternative.

Reactions: Summer Rose

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

IOC, IIHF, NHL & NHLPA meeting this coming week. Agreement not expected.

Embarrassment by Bettman on lack of build start heard. May play hockey in Turin (2006).

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Give us Olympics in 2026 please.

Who else wants to see the triple generation line....

Sid - McDavid - Bedard

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Give us Olympics in 2026 please.

Who else wants to see the triple generation line....

Sid - McDavid - Bedard

I mean yes - I absolutely want NHLers in the Olympics.

But I very much doubt you're going to put three centres on a line together, and with only 10 years between Corsby and McDavid, and 8 years between McDavid and Bedard, it's really not a "generation".

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I mean yes - I absolutely want NHLers in the Olympics.

But I very much doubt you're going to put three centres on a line together, and with only 10 years between Corsby and McDavid, and 8 years between McDavid and Bedard, it's really not a "generation".
It's three different generations! And I see no reason why they can't line up together. We have tons of depth at centre. By 2026 pick your remaining centres below....

MacKinnon
Point
Fantilli
Stamkos
Reinhart
Schiefele
Thomas
Kyrou
Horvat
Tavares
Suzuki
Celebrini?

Crosby - McDavid - Bedard
Marchand - MacKinnon - Marner
Stamkos - Point - Reinhart
Thomas - Fantilli - Kyrou
Byfield

Hell we could have as many as nine NHL centres on this team

Reactions: andora

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It's three different generations! And I see no reason why they can't line up together. We have tons of depth at centre. By 2026 pick your remaining centres below....

MacKinnon
Point
Fantilli
Stamkos
Reinhart
Schiefele
Thomas
Kyrou
Horvat
Tavares
Suzuki
Celebrini?

Crosby - McDavid - Bedard
Marchand - MacKinnon - Marner
Stamkos - Point - Reinhart
Thomas - Fantilli - Kyrou
Byfield

Hell we could have as many as nine NHL centres on this team

It's a nit to pick, but a "generation" is 20-25 years at a minimum. So McDavid and Bedard are not at all in different generations.

That being said _ I wonder if Crosby would even make the Canadian Olympic roster by 2026. I mean he'll be 38-39 years old at the time. He's still producing at a PPG rate, but as we're maybe seeing with Ovechkin once you hit a certain age production can fall HARD.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It's a nit to pick, but a "generation" is 20-25 years at a minimum. So McDavid and Bedard are not at all in different generations.

That being said _ I wonder if Crosby would even make the Canadian Olympic roster by 2026. I mean he'll be 38-39 years old at the time. He's still producing at a PPG rate, but as we're maybe seeing with Ovechkin once you hit a certain age production can fall HARD.
Well maybe just ignore the generational tag line then. Just think putting the best player from the 2000's (Crosby), 2010's (McDavid), 2020's (McDavid again) and likely into the future of the 2030's (Bedard) will be something special.

Crosby will be there as the old guard. Ovechkin is dropping, but would still be on any Russian team, this coming winter or 2025 for that matter.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Well maybe just ignore the generational tag line then. Just think putting the best player from the 2000's (Crosby), 2010's (McDavid), 2020's (McDavid again) and likely into the future of the 2030's (Bedard) will be something special.

Crosby will be there as the old guard. Ovechkin is dropping, but would still be on any Russian team, this coming winter or 2025 for that matter.
I mean sadly Ovechkin is likely to have played his last game in a Team Russia sweater simply because I doubt a Russian team would be playing meaningfully for the next 3-5 years still.

Reactions: waitin425

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

If Crosby wants to go, they ain’t telling him no

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

NHL, NHLPA, IOC and IIHF to meet Wednesday in NYC. IOC to present a framework. NHL not anticipating finalization of deal at this meeting.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Wednesday's meeting was productive. More meetings planned for January.

If games are not in Milan, they will be in Turin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad