Prospect Info: 2024 World Juniors Thread

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Has there ever been a USA team this stacked?

If it exists, it's 2013 -- Gostisbehere, Gaudreau, Seth Jones, Trouba, JT Miller, Galchenyuk, Hartman, Trocheck, Gibson, Connor Murphy, Gillies, Grimaldi, Jake McCabe, etc. You can count Tyler Biggs if you want since he went in the 1st round, but....yeah.

It would have been 2017 by a mile in a different timeline -- Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk and Boeser didn't go. Add them to a team with Oettinger, Fox, McAvoy, Tage Thompson, and Keller plus some good support guys like Troy Terry and Lindgren. They also chose Jeremy Bracco over DeBrincat iirc, so whether you want to count him as a possible or not is up to you.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Here's my Cutter Gauthier World Juniors 2023 Review

Started off slow I thought, points were there, but very clearly was trying to learn the rotations in the dzone, and the preferences of his dmen. He also took waaaaaaaay too many shots from terrible angles that never had a chance to go in. Video and coaching staff definitely got his attention because he started trying to find the back left post on the PP and in the OZ in general.

I also liked his stick placement in the NZ/DZ as he gained more confidence, he stuffed a lot of passes and killed some transition chances by other teams. I know C is still really new to him at this level, but he showed me he has a legit ceiling at the position.

The goal vs Finland was amazing because it showed his skill level. Look how he played catch with his teammate in tight spaces - 2v1 2v1 2v1...especially consider how terrible the Flyers are on the PP and how we can't even get set-up. The shot was great too, can't find much of that outside of TK and Foerster on the Flyers. A welcomed addition.

I do wish he "drove chances" a little more, but there's no denying he got better as we went, especially since this week must have been a hell of an adjustment of the Americans.

In the final he wasn't great, but he made some defensive plays where you walked away saying, "ok he's not Coots, but that'll do". Really really important half-year for him for development....if the Flyers are somehow still alive - chance we see him this year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If it exists, it's 2013 -- Gostisbehere, Gaudreau, Seth Jones, Trouba, JT Miller, Galchenyuk, Hartman, Trocheck, Gibson, Connor Murphy, Gillies, Grimaldi, Jake McCabe, etc. You can count Tyler Biggs if you want since he went in the 1st round, but....yeah.

It would have been 2017 by a mile in a different timeline -- Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk and Boeser didn't go. Add them to a team with Oettinger, Fox, McAvoy, Tage Thompson, and Keller plus some good support guys like Troy Terry and Lindgren. They also chose Jeremy Bracco over DeBrincat iirc, so whether you want to count him as a possible or not is up to you.
2021 was good too. Pro results mixed, but that team suffocated that stacked Canada team that steamrolled everyone. That was Jack Hughes' age group too.

Zegras had one of the best performances ever.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
2021 was good too. Pro results mixed, but that team suffocated that stacked Canada team that steamrolled everyone. That was Jack Hughes' age group too.

Zegras was the best American I've seen at the tournament maybe ever (since I started watching about 20 yrs ago).

Reactions: PK16 and phil162888

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I didn't include that team because I remember there being an awful lot of question marks about that defensive corps, which is admittedly separate from actual tourney performance. Sanderson and Faber's NHL starts certainly put a spin on it though.

Sidenote, but I love how the universe figured out a way to get Faber to Minnesota. That's the most Wild Defenseman.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Who is that disgusting ginger coach?
Matt Carle's brother Dave. Had to give up hockey because of a brain aneurysm or something, so he went into coaching young.

Cutter did OK today:

https://x.com/NHLAdamK/status/1743384798091984961?s=20

1704490719704.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad