2024 World Junior Championships Thread

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Gauthier was not the best forward in this tournament, or on the US team.

I get that it’s easy to give it to the leading scorer, but he left a lot to be desired. Someone like Brindley had a much bigger shift-to-shift impact. I though Leonard was better than Gauthier too, but he obviously doesn’t have the points to earn consideration.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Finished tied for 2nd in team scoring with Brindley behind Turd Cutter Gauthier (which is what I'm calling him until he no longer has his rights held by the Flyers.)

Interesting how he keeps on outscoring his line mates despite being carried by them.

On the real, Leonard is a f***ing animal. Smith had his best game of the tournament in the GM game but was pretty ass otherwise.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Finished tied for 2nd in team scoring with Brindley behind Turd Cutter Gauthier (which is what I'm calling him until he no longer has his rights held by the Flyers.)

Interesting how he keeps on outscoring his line mates despite being carried by them.

On the real, Leonard is a f***ing animal. Smith had his best game of the tournament in the GM game but was pretty ass otherwise.

Some players just have the knack. He is always involved, always in the right place, (mostly) always making the smart play. He’s also super skilled.

I’m not sure he will ever drive a line, but put him with a guy like Panarin and he’s going to be the best support player you could dream of lol.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fantastic tournament for Gabe. He kept getting better as the games went on. To finish second on the team in scoring despite not really getting top six minutes or PP1 time is tremendous. Very, very impressive.

I think Fortescue had a good tournament, too. He made a few mistakes, as all the kids do, but otherwise was a solid defender and even contributed offensively.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Fortescue had a good tournament, too. He made a few mistakes, as all the kids do, but otherwise was a solid defender and even contributed offensively.

yeah there were a ton of positives in this regard. He’s another guy who needs his man strength but there’s a lot that he does well already that translates. The 4 points was a nice surprise (The pass he made to Howard today for his first was gross) but not likely to be a big part of his game.

If he can turn into Dylan Samburg we won.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012

I didn't get to watch too much but what I saw out of Leonard is unreal. Strong on the puck, hands, speed, goes to dirty areas. What else could you ask for

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
8 of the American team will be eligible for next year---Perreault, Smith, Leonard barring any injuries will almost for sure be the top line. Other forwards Oliver Moore and Danny Nelson. On D Zeev Buium who is in his draft year and the other Rangers prospect Drew Fortescue. Fortescue also did really well. Regular ice time....more of a defensive presence but he still put up 4 points including the breakaway pass to Howard on USA's second goal yesterday. What will probably be two years of WJC and a gold medal already kind of points to an NHL career for him. It's success at top flight competition for his age group and not every top pick gets the chance.

Trey Augustine will also be eligible for a third year next year and he'll arguably be the best goalie again.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
8 of the American team will be eligible for next year---Perreault, Smith, Leonard barring any injuries will almost for sure be the top line. Other forwards Oliver Moore and Danny Nelson. On D Zeev Buium who is in his draft year and the other Rangers prospect Drew Fortescue. Fortescue also did really well. Regular ice time....more of a defensive presence but he still put up 4 points including the breakaway pass to Howard on USA's second goal yesterday. What will probably be two years of WJC and a gold medal already kind of points to an NHL career for him. It's success at top flight competition for his age group and not every top pick gets the chance.

Trey Augustine will also be eligible for a third year next year and he'll arguably be the best goalie again.
Canada is looking pretty thin next year. Potential returning players are Bonk, Wood, Rehkopf, Cowen and Yager. They are going to lean heavily on the 06 players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Canada is looking pretty thin next year. Potential returning players are Bonk, Wood, Rehkopf, Cowen and Yager. They are going to lean heavily on the 06 players.

Some chance Celebrini too. Most teams have key guys coming back but the United States I think will be the favorite again. I don't think the Smith, Leonard, Perreault line was great at the beginning of the tournament but they got better and better as the tournament went along and IMO that was the best line in the Gold Medal game though Isaac Howard was a big factor too. That portends will for next year + Cole Eiserman should make the team so USA's forward group should be really strong. Augustine in net again would be another major boost. Hutson, Casey, Buium and Chesley were all D pushing the play and only Buium can return so that might be an area but all in all USA is in good shape to repeat.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Some chance Celebrini too. Most teams have key guys coming back but the United States I think will be the favorite again. I don't think the Smith, Leonard, Perreault line was great at the beginning of the tournament but they got better and better as the tournament went along and IMO that was the best line in the Gold Medal game though Isaac Howard was a big factor too. That portends will for next year + Cole Eiserman should make the team so USA's forward group should be really strong. Augustine in net again would be another major boost. Hutson, Casey, Buium and Chesley were all D pushing the play and only Buium can return so that might be an area but all in all USA is in good shape to repeat.

Celebrini will be in the show. Great player who hopefully lands anywhere but Chicago.

It took Gabe a while to get going (and he definitely fell into the category of
Trying to do too much) but Smith really hurt the line for the majority of the tournament. I’ve seen more than a few yellow flags in his game this year which are starting to turn a shade of red. To his credit his game got better later (he was good in the GMG and had his best sequence of the tournament a game earlier on the shift where he scored in an otherwise weak game) but the decision making is an issue for him that doesn’t get spoken about enough.

He needs another year in college. If San Jose convinces him to go pro I think he ends up turning into Spooner. More than a few similarities in their games than anyone wants to admit and I hope for his sake that they allow him to cook for a bit. He can still be really good, but he needs a ton of work.

Reactions: eco's bones

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm assuming Celebrini will be in the NHL. If he's available for Canada, that makes a big difference.

The US will also have Hagens. Hagens is a BC commit, so there will be some familiarity between him and Perreault, Smith and Leonard (assuming they all return next year).

Reactions: eco's bones

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
When the chips were down Gabe and Leonard were the ones that made a difference.
If I was Drury I'd be trying to figure out how I could get Leonard to NY to play with Gabe, maybe catch some of that magic at the pro level.

Perreault led all US players with 7 points once the three knockout games began.

He didnt need to pad his stats up in garbage games like Gauthier, who did jack shit in the gold medal game.
That GWG in the semis was pretty huge though

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If I was Drury I'd be trying to figure out how I could get Leonard to NY to play with Gabe, maybe catch some of that magic at the pro level.

That GWG in the semis was pretty huge though

It was. But that was pretty much all we saw of him in the semi and gold medal games. Very low IQ player. I could easily see him busting at the NHL level.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Too true. Always take the riser, never the faller
Going back decades a lot of times some NYR fans wanted the I can't believe xyz is still available and then they had nothing careers. I remember when Angelo Esposito was once thought of as a possible #1 OA and fell hard. It was the year we drafted Cherpy. Espo did not have much of a NHL career. Even though NYR fans were happy with Cherpy they also wanted Espo. Also remember some NYR fans going nuts that we did not draft Latendresse who fell out of the first round. He did not have a long NHL career either. I also remembered some pretty knowledgeable NYR fans wanted us to draft Tim Erixon instead of Chris Kreider.

Hopefully GP turns out to be a great pick for us though!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Angelo Esposito fell in his draft year because his production fell in his draft year. Him falling was 100000% expected and completely a result of his on ice play. Trying to draw a parallel here with Perreault is a useless exercise as Gabe set the single season record for points with the program. Yes it comes with the caveat that he played with 2 other first rounders (who went higher than he did) but the point is his production sky rocketed. I won’t even get into what it’s been like d+1. This wasn’t a situation where a player fell because of performance/ character concerns, he fell because teams make dumb picks every year.

I laughed when Gabe put up a 3 point game yesterday because now wild fans understand how the rangers felt when Tarasenko and Kuznetzov were clowning on Canada in their GMG after taking McIlrath.

Plenty of people here wanted Kreider btw. I wasn’t one of them, but he had ton of support pre draft. @Edge was one of his biggest stans and @HatTrick Swayze was right there with him.

It was. But that was pretty much all we saw of him in the semi and gold medal games. Very low IQ player. I could easily see him busting at the NHL level.

I don’t think he even comes close to busting. He does lots of good things even though he takes more dumb shots than anyone ever. His vision is actually pretty good when he isn’t in trigger happy mode so it’s not like he’s completely inept outside of his shot.

Hope he does it somewhere outside of Philly.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad