U18: 2024 WJC18 Switzerland roster talk

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Forget has barely cracked double digits in points this season. For a forward with ambitions to be drafted in the late rounds this statline is horrible, no matter the context. We will have to wait and see if the fact that he has collected a couple of points lately is really the sign of an longer lasting trend or not. I remain very sceptical though at this point. Its an extremely small sample size in any case to make this argument. I did forget (no pun intended) however that he was not drafted via the import draft, which might be his saving grace in order to be able to stay with the team.

Körblers improvement seems a bit more steady and stable in comparison. I might agree that he didn't have a terrible season overall. Especially if you factor in that he is younger than the others and a better two way player. But Ottawa is a presigious franchise that attracted more impressive imports than Körbler in the last few years. I dont think its that far fetched to think that they would roll the dice with someone else in the future given their recent track record. But he is definitely the most likely of the three to be picked of waivers if that were to become the case.

So you may be right that their prospects to stick in their respective leagues are better than I argued. But I still remain by my view that Forget and Ponzzetto had terrible seasons overall. Its not like I expected that much from them. But I did think they could be at least around Braillards level from last year. And that both players failed to achieve by a fairly wide margin.
I still disagree. It's a completely normal for CHL franchises to not play their rookies properly for most of the season unless they're forced to give them a bigger role either by injuries or spectacular play by the rookie in a limited role. Körbler and Forget didn't really do that which is why I agree their season was kinda disappointing but they did perform when given a larger role this year. This is what teams are looking for to evaluate what they have heading into the playoffs or going forward. Therefore, it's pretty normal for CHL teams to put rookies and other youngsters in a position to succeed once the standings picture becomes clearer. If, at that point, you fail to impress then that's when you're in trouble. Which is why I think Ponzetto is the only one in danger of losing his gig. Usually, if you're on a playoff team and they're really unhappy with you, you're shipped out one way or the other ahead of the deadline. Which is what happened to Ponzetto. If you're still there post deadline you're usually given a chance to show what you can do. In Shawinigan's case it actually paid off, with many young players trending nicely post deadline. They won the last three games ahead of the playoffs including a win vs Victoriaville, their playoff opponent. Forget scored a PP goal in this game. I think it would take really poor playoffs and WJC18 for Forget or Körbler to lose their CHL gigs but even if they do, which can always happen (ask Braillard) they'll find a home elsewhere.

The only concern with Körbler is his injury which, I fear, could be very serious. Tuomas Uronen, the other Ottawa import, is out long term as well. If both of their imports are severely injured then that could put Ottawa in a tough spot and may force them to draft or trade for at least one import. Other than that, like I said, I'm only worried about Ponzetto. Forget doesn't count towards the import slots so he should be as safe as it gets and the Ottawa67s are coached by Dave Cameron who is smart and experienced enough to identify talent and seems to really like Körbler.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Players out of Switzerland should all be available. To my knowledge they're all healthy. If Zug reaches the final then that could delay the arrival of Muggli which wouldn't be ideal. Since he's not currentlyy playing for them, the Lions should hopefully release Ustinkov should they reach the final.

Also, CHL playoffs are under way. As expected, Körbler is still injured. Cameron said they're hoping to get him back later in the series but it's playoffs so I'm not sure if that's necessary a good sign. He may only wanna keep the opponents guessing and I'm not sure if he's gonna make it to the WJC18. Without Körbler, Ottawa lost 2-5 vs Brantford.

Bathurst beat Halifax 2-1 but with Ponzetto still in a limited 4th line role and therefore not much to report.

Shawinigan somehow managed to lose the game vs Victoriaville 3-4 in OT despite dominating completely for 40'. Forget still on topline, scored a goal and landed a big hit the announcers were crying about for quite a while:laugh:

If Ottawa, Shawinigan or Bathurst make it to the final that would be a problem. Not sure about the exact schedule but I believe league finals are played into May with the Memorial Cup Championship game taking place June 2nd. Unlikely those three teams make it that far but you never know.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shawinigan really is the most stupid team of the CHL. Had cruise control for 40' with an impressive, imposing and smothering forecheck. Then their backup goalie (their starter is injured) gives up a few weak goals and all of a sudden they have almost zero offensive zone time for four periods (plus OT) straight. 1-5 loss today and I think Forget may be in trouble. Probably wanted out of the series I guess. On his last shift first tried to kill a guy on a big hit then when the guy managed to get up he tried to fight a different guy. Refs kinda managed to stop him after a couple of punches and he only got an unsportsmanlike conduct for it but the QMJHL has officially banned fighting and Forget did the same thing a month ago already when he beat the crap out of a guy and got a two game suspension for being the aggressor. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if he's hit by the banhammer again. If they deem this a fight then he's in trouble for sure. He didn't really let up when the refs tried to stop him either. Crazy shit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No suspension announced for Forget. Game 3 is tonight so probably not gonna happen either. I'm surprised and also a bit disappointed, I have to admit. Just hope he stays healthy. He picked his battles wisely, went after players in his own weight class but he's public enemy nr.1 now in Victoriaville and he'll have a target on his back for the rest of this series. Shawinigan doesn't even have any veteran or tougher players who could protect Forget. They're the youngest and softest team in the league. Also, if anybody could protect him, surely it won't be Klima or Elie, his linemates on the topline. If Victoriaville at some point seriously wants to hunt him down, it's just game over:laugh:
Would be a bummer to lose 2 out of 3 CHL players for the WJC18. Körbler still injured and Ponzetto still a non factor.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shawinigan got swept by Victoriaville and to my knowledge, Forget is still alive so that's good news. He should be able to join Swiss camp in time.
Bathurst swept Halifax so Ponzetto's arrival will be delayed at the very least.
Körbler still injured as Ottawa67 has a 2-1 series lead over Brantford.

Official camp roster is out as well and I spotted just two surprises:

- On defense, Guus Van der Kaaij is a left field selection, especially with guys like Kyburz, Wyler or Rozic all eligible for the tournament. I guess they just wanted an 07 born defenseman on the camp roster but the way more mature and experienced Dorian Moret would have been a better option for that. Don't think it's gonna matter though. Van der Kaaij isn't gonna make it to the WJC18 with Muggli most certainly joining the roster as well.

- Upfront, I'd have preferred Haas or Wehrli over the undersized Borradori despite their rather underwhelming seasons. 07 born Florian Schenk would have been an interesting option for that spot as well. Hopefully won't matter anyway with Forget and Reber, maybe Ponzetto and Körbler coming in as well. Domenichelli wouldn't be a huge loss with the depth available but I still hope he gets to play because he would add an extra bit of skill and another right shot. If Domenichelli isn't available, that could open a spot for 07 born Lars Steiner though. I'd be all for selecting Steiner as the lone underager in that scenario.

WJC18 Roster.PNG

Counting 3 Goalies, 9 Defensemen, 13 (with Forget) Forwards on that roster. Expecting no movements in goal. On defense it's probably just Muggli coming in for Van der Kaaij and Blessing. Upfront, I'm expecting Reber to join but at this point we probably have to be happy if we get one of Ponzetto, Körbler and Domenichelli so therefore, as I indicated above, Steiner actually has a decent chance to make the roster.

Potential WJC18 lineup:

Ustinkov, Muggli
Sansonnens, Kurt
Johnson, Richard
Geisser, Meier

Antenen, Tarchini, Bosson
Giger, Reber, Forget
Wey, Mottard, Cattin
Weber, Aebi, Steiner

out from camp roster: Van der Kaaij, Blessing, Borradori, Grossniklaus

I'm still not a fan of putting Antenen on the wing but it's most certainly gonna happen because he played wing this season at club level as well... for the first time in a while I think. Also, this team just has too many quality Centers. Even with Antenen on the wing, one excellent Centerman is still out. Without being a Biel fan I think that Mottard and Tarchini should be safe and so is if Reber if he joins. Therefore it will be between Grossniklaus and Aebi I guess. I put Aebi in my lineup but could be the other way around as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Shawinigan got swept by Victoriaville and to my knowledge, Forget is still alive so that's good news. He should be able to join Swiss camp in time.
Bathurst swept Halifax so Ponzetto's arrival will be delayed at the very least.
Körbler still injured as Ottawa67 has a 2-1 series lead over Brantford.

Official camp roster is out as well and I spotted just two surprises:

- On defense, Guus Van der Kaaij is a left field selection, especially with guys like Kyburz, Wyler or Rozic all eligible for the tournament. I guess they just wanted an 07 born defenseman on the camp roster but the way more mature and experienced Dorian Moret would have been a better option for that. Don't think it's gonna matter though. Van der Kaaij isn't gonna make it to the WJC18 with Muggli most certainly joining the roster as well.

- Upfront, I'd have preferred Haas or Wehrli over the undersized Borradori despite their rather underwhelming seasons. 07 born Florian Schenk would have been an interesting option for that spot as well. Hopefully won't matter anyway with Forget and Reber, maybe Ponzetto and Körbler coming in as well. Domenichelli wouldn't be a huge loss with the depth available but I still hope he gets to play because he would add an extra bit of skill and another right shot. If Domenichelli isn't available, that could open a spot for 07 born Lars Steiner though. I'd be all for selecting Steiner as the lone underager in that scenario.

View attachment 845835

Counting 3 Goalies, 9 Defensemen, 13 (with Forget) Forwards on that roster. Expecting no movements in goal. On defense it's probably just Muggli coming in for Van der Kaaij and Blessing. Upfront, I'm expecting Reber to join but at this point we probably have to be happy if we get one of Ponzetto, Körbler and Domenichelli so therefore, as I indicated above, Steiner actually has a decent chance to make the roster.

Potential WJC18 lineup:

Ustinkov, Muggli
Sansonnens, Kurt
Johnson, Richard
Geisser, Meier

Antenen, Tarchini, Bosson
Giger, Reber, Forget
Wey, Mottard, Cattin
Weber, Aebi, Steiner

out from camp roster: Van der Kaaij, Blessing, Borradori, Grossniklaus

I'm still not a fan of putting Antenen on the wing but it's most certainly gonna happen because he played wing this season at club level as well... for the first time in a while I think. Also, this team just has too many quality Centers. Even with Antenen on the wing, one excellent Centerman is still out. Without being a Biel fan I think that Mottard and Tarchini should be safe and so is if Reber if he joins. Therefore it will be between Grossniklaus and Aebi I guess. I put Aebi in my lineup but could be the other way around as well.

No points for Giger at the Ivan Hlinka and not much of an impact for the Rogle U20 team. Does he merit a second line spot?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No points for Giger at the Ivan Hlinka and not much of an impact for the Rogle U20 team. Does he merit a second line spot?

Limited roles. He's done well when trusted. Also keep in mind he's an undersized late birthday. He's quite a bit younger than the rest of this group. Might be the youngest on this roster again depending on Körbler's and Ponzetto's availability.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Game 4 of NL semifinals tomorrow. In an ideal word, the Lions are gonna eliminate Zug meaning Muggli would be available for WJC18 camp start the day after.

This weekend the U20 elite finals were played. I gotta say that I enjoyed these games quite a bit. Level was pretty high due to all of the reinforcements but it was good to see a lot of younger kids, many of them on the WJC18 camp roster, playing important roles and contribute as well. On Saturday, both Kirsch and Lachat started the game. Lachat earned himself a shutout but Biel decided to throw away the title by starting Beglieri on sunday. One of the worst decisions I've seen in a while. Biel won 3-0 on Saturday, were up 3-0 today after 20' as well and in cruise control. Then, in the 2nd, when Zug started shooting pucks at Beglieri, he just cracked. The only goal he couldn't have prevented was the second, game tying goal by Tim Muggli. All others were stoppable. In the 2nd period, Beglieri invited Zug back into game even without his team bleeding quality chances. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened with Lachat in goal. I still don't know how that guy was able to play a solid WJC20 and it kinda proves the point I was making ahead of the WJC20...they should have selected the 06 goalies, not Beglieri and co. Anyway, Biel lost 3-5 in OT and got what they deserved for their stupid decision to replace Lachat despite his shutout in game 1.

Kirsch wasn't bad (certainly better than Beglieri), did make big saves in both games but gave up soft goals as well. Kinda inconsistent, like his entire season I feel. He's talented but my gut feeling still says going with Neuenschwander and Lachat would be the right call for the WJC18. I'd probably start rotating those two and see who ends up winning the starter gig.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lions just swept Zug so Muggli should be available for camp start. Reber's and Forget's teams out of playoffs, too so they should all be there.
Therefore probably almost full house tomorrow, just four players missing. The two injured guys (both replaceable in my view) plus Ponzetto and Körbler who are still involved in CHL playoffs. I think both of these guys would be losses but if they make it to the WJC18 at all they will most certainly arrive late. Ponzetto not really a factor for Bathurst but would add some much needed size to a rather small WJC18 team and Körbler would be helpful as well. Looking really good for the 67s. No points after his injury but playing on the topline with Kooper Foster and Brendan Kressler and is a regular on their PK as well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bild_2024-04-12_234959725.png

Weird lineup in the first exhibition game today. Lenny Giger at Center who I believe hasn't played the position in a while. He also played with Haas and Wehrli who were listed as on standby, so not part of the camp. Could mean that other forwards, most certainly other Centers, are injured. Some of the best forwards did not play: Jamiro Reber, Jordan Forget, Noé Tarchini and Nolan Cattin.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
View attachment 850596

Weird lineup in the first exhibition game today. Lenny Giger at Center who I believe hasn't played the position in a while. He also played with Haas and Wehrli who were listed as on standby, so not part of the camp. Could mean that other forwards, most certainly other Centers, are injured. Some of the best forwards did not play: Jamiro Reber, Jordan Forget, Noé Tarchini and Nolan Cattin.

They probably just wanted to get a good look at as many players that aren't locks to make the team as possible. As part of the final selection process. So I can't really fault the coaching staff for that. Even though some of the players chosen so far are still a bit questionable, such as Borradori. I hope that Steiner sticks with the team. It would be beneficial for next years tournament as well.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They probably just wanted to get a good look at as many players that aren't locks to make the team as possible. As part of the final selection process. So I can't really fault the coaching staff for that. Even though some of the players chosen so far are still a bit questionable, such as Borradori. I hope that Steiner sticks with the team. It would be beneficial for next years tournament as well.
You're most certainly right. Forget, Tarchini and Cattin (and Blessing on defense) in the lineup today. So everybody is fine. The Giger Center experiment was weird though. I mean he's a creative player who played Center in the past but this team is so packed with natural Centers who played the position all career long that it was a weird thing to try. Reber is actually still in Sweden. HV71 U18 team is playing the bronze medal game today. Reber hasn't played with that team much but he joined them for playoffs. I missed out on that info earlier. Here's today's lineup:

Bild_2024-04-13_125151393.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based on the first two exhibitions my guess for the final lineup is:

Giger, Reber, Forget
Bosson, Tarchini, Cattin
Antenen, Grossniklaus, Wey
Borradori, Mottard, Steiner

Ustinkov, Kurt
Blessing, Muggli
Sansonnens, Meier
Johnson, Richard

Obviously the exact combinations aren't fixed yet but that's the players I expect to make the roster. Looks like Aebi is the odd Centerman out and not Grossniklaus. Surprisingly, I now think Borradori is gonna make the roster and I think Weber could be the winger out. Steiner's and Borradori's spots are probably only in danger if Ponzetto or Körbler arrive from Canada or if Domenichelli returns from injury. On defense I still think that Van der Kaaij is out but probably not alongside Blessing. I guess the picture on defense is less clear than upfront but I think that the defensemen in danger are Sansonnens, Johnson, Richard and Geisser. I'd still cut Blessing but I don't think it's gonna happen.

The goalies played one game each (Lachat with the U19) and if these games mean anything then Neuenschwander is the clear cut nr.3 after giving up two soft goals. Both Lachat and Kirsch looked very sharp. Lachat beaten three times but with three redirections from inside the blue paint. No chance for him on those. Kirsch beaten once on a breakaway. Not much of a chance for him either.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Btw, Bathurst and Ottawa lost game 1 but I wouldn't count on either Ponzetto or Körbler to join the team. Körbler had a very nice primary assist and has looked good recently but he's coming off an injury. Ponzetto missed game 1 due to injury and in hindsight might have been playing hurt for a while. Either way, even if their teams lose this round, Körbler and Ponzetto might opt for early holidays if they're not 100% instead of joining the WJC18 squad late. I think at this point Forget is likely the only North American reinforcement this team is gonna get.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
More cause for concern. Jamiro Reber didn't play in yesterday's J18 bronzemedal game (HV71 lost 4-8). I don't know why he'd stay in Sweden for J18 final four just to then not play the most important game of the season. So he must be injured or sick. Anybody with info on that? Fortunately, Switzerland does have more than enough capable Centermen and I'd have no problem with Aebi stepping in. Reber is by far the most creative Centerman of his age group though.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
This could be a better year, the team played well in the Gretzky cup. However i don‘t think they‘ll past the quarters.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Anybody with info on Reber?
Bathurst and Ottawa both down 0-3 in their respective series. Bathurst playing tonight but Ponzetto is still injured and isn't gonna play. Ottawa gonna play game 4 tomorrow. I think even if both teams lose game 4 there's no guarantee Switzerland is gonna get more CHL reinforcements.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Watching the game vs Finland and I have to say that's the most brutal feed I've watched in quite a while. Lagging as f***. I hope that's not gonna be the standard for the WJC18 as well:laugh::help:

From what I've spotted despite the lags there's no Reber though. This is becoming concerning. Also once again a wild, highly experimental lineup with Jordan Forget not only at Center (I've never seen him at Center before) but also between two players who, per SIHF, aren't even part of camp. What the heck:

Bosson, Tarchini, Cattin
Wehrli, Forget, Haas

Blessing, Ustinkov
Muggli, Geisser
Sansonnens, Kurt
Johnson, Richard

Lachat
Neuenschwander

Switzerland down 0-2 after 20' as well. Both goals after horrible rebounds off of Lachat who didn't have much to stop besides those two situations. Not a good look on Lachat especially on the first goal against which wasn't even a scoring chance but a shot from down town. The 2nd goal was also partly on Blessing who stupidly turned the puck over trying to dangle past forecheckers on his own blueline. Lachat makes the stop, then not only gives up a juicy rebound but also loses track of the puck. Quite disappointing for a goalie of his standard.

Only explanation I have for coaches repeatedly playing clear cut Wingers at Center is that Reber is severly injured. Otherwise that doesn't make any sense. They already have six (Antenen, Tarchini, Mottard, Grossniklaus, Aebi, Wey) very experienced Centers on the roster. Reber would be the 7th.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lachat pulled after giving up 4 goals on maybe 10 shots. Probably less. Highly irritating "performance". Then Neuenschwander comes in and gets beaten on the first shot as well Lol. What a horrible comedy show. Somewhere in the arena, Kirsch must be laughing his head off. Probably didn't expect earning the starter gig to be this easy:laugh::popcorn:

A half decent performance against the Slovaks on sunday should seal the deal for him.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Reber missing the U18's would suck. He ist the offensive catalyst of this team and the only player on the roster that can create something out of nothing with an ingenious play.

Haven't seen the game vs Finland so far. But i just hope its not an indication for things to come. This was the first age group in a long time that didn't seem light years away from the top nations. I just hope they didn't loose to much ground on their peers this season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based on the first two exhibitions my guess for the final lineup is:

Giger, Reber, Forget
Bosson, Tarchini, Cattin
Reber missing the U18's would suck. He ist the offensive catalyst of this team and the only player on the roster that can create something out of nothing with an ingenious play.

Haven't seen the game vs Finland so far. But i just hope its not an indication for things to come. This was the first age group in a long time that didn't seem light years away from the top nations. I just hope they didn't loose to much ground on their peers this season.

I noticed that today's lineup is actually almost the forward group I predicted so I'm pretty sure this is the plan and those nine forwards are a pretty safe bet to crack the roster. So there might still be hope for Reber. Today, they're resting Aebi, Weber and Giger because they played both previous exhibitions. I'm pretty sure the Forget line is gonna be the top line and I don't think they envision Weber or Aebi playing with Forget. I don't think Haas or Wehrli, his linemates today, are options either. So my hope is that they're placeholders and we'll see the topline I predicted. Reber missing the final four in Sweden and three exhibitions straight is a concern though. It's also possible that they're still hoping to get Ponzetto or Körbler but those wouldn't be Centers. That's probably why they're trying both Forget and Giger at Center...in case Reber can't go and they're adding Ponzetto or Körbler to the topline. Ponzetto would be available now that Bathurst got swept but he's injured as well and didn't play at all in that series.

Would be interesting to see what they're gonna do if they get none of Reber, Körbler and Ponzetto. Are they gonna trust Aebi to center the topline or are they gonna break up one of the other lines and put Weber, Wehrli or Haas on the roster? I think those four are the forwards in danger of getting cut and the availability of Reber, Körbler, Ponzetto, maybe even Domenichelli is gonna determine how many of them are gonna make it.

Regarding the game today it's clearly not the most glorious performance. They haven't even scored a goal. Still, play was pretty even and it was mostly just poor goaltending.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
0-7 final score. Lol. In the end, they cracked. Not all of the goals he allowed were Neuenschwander's fault. Still, based on their "performances" in the exhibition games, Neuenschwander and Lachat are no competition for Kirsch.

Those penalties were curious though. Either the teams agreed on some PP/PK practice for Finland/Switzerland respectively or the refs were just simply Finnish:laugh:

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
0-7 final score. Lol. In the end, they cracked. Not all of the goals he allowed were Neuenschwander's fault. Still, based on their "performances" in the exhibition games, Neuenschwander and Lachat are no competition for Kirsch.

Those penalties were curious though. Either the teams agreed on some PP/PK practice for Finland/Switzerland respectively or the refs were just simply Finnish:laugh:

Lets hope it was just on off day for the team then. Can't really comment on the goaltending spot for the tournament as I havent been able to watch any of the exhibition games. But I can't really argue against Kirsch who has had a strong season for Zugs U20 team.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lets hope it was just on off day for the team then. Can't really comment on the goaltending sport for the tournament as I havent been able to watch any of the exhibition games. But I can't really argue against Kirsch who has had a strong season for Zugs U20 team.
Yeah. Kirsch has been fair. Kinda easy to play behind a completely overpowered team though. I don't think he had a better season than Lachat or Neuenschwander. Those two have been better than him in international games as well.

It's possible the Coaches made up their mind on their starter heading into the camp already (we've seen that before) but if exhibition performances mean anything to them then Kirsch should now be clearly ahead of both Lachat and Neuenschwander. Kirsch still has to back it up against Slovakia though but if it's a fair competition for the starter gig then a solid/average performance should be enough for Kirsch. I expect him to get that start after being scratched today.

Reactions: Speyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad