OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah it is….a whole lot of nothing….they don’t even get officially briefed on the NFL gambling rules until rookie camp starts (yesterday)….

This is what I was wondering. At what point is the policy in effect? When you sign a contract or after the camp? I don't think either have been finalized so this is probably nothing for now, but the league may keep an eye on him.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is what I was wondering. At what point is the policy in effect? When you sign a contract or after the camp? I don't think either have been finalized so this is probably nothing for now, but the league may keep an eye on him.
I’m sure they’ll get a talking to….

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah it is….a whole lot of nothing….they don’t even get officially briefed on the NFL gambling rules until rookie camp starts (yesterday)….

I don’t read that pinko commie rag… :sarcasm:

But unless it says none of these rules come into effect until you receive your briefing I’m not sure if ignorance is a valid defense.

I would think a condition of entering the draft is an agreement to abide by all league rules from that point on. But if there is a giant loophole there I hope plenty of players exploit it until it is closed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t read that pinko commie rag… :sarcasm:

But unless it says none of these rules come into effect until you receive your briefing I’m not sure if ignorance is a valid defense.

I would think a condition of entering the draft is an agreement to abide by all league rules from that point on. But if there is a giant loophole there I hope plenty of players exploit it until it is closed.
Like I said….I’m sure they will get talked to. Maybe a minimal fine at worst?

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Not sure you can be fined or suspended for violating a rule before you've signed the contract which binds you to the rules. But what do I know?
Yea, I imagine you’re not bound by any of those rules until you sign a contract, and join the NFLPA.

Isn’t there some exception to let them play fantasy football, as long as it’s under $500 or something?

I think this whole thing is a stupid, non-story. All he did wrong was announce it to the world. Players do stuff like this - privately - all the time.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well, the bet is off. Lol, of course.

And yeah, they're just going to get a little talk. No biggie.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, the bet is off. Lol, of course.

And yeah, they're just going to get a little talk. No biggie.

ESPN contacted the NFL league office this week to determine if the wager would violate its policy on gambling but did not immediately hear back. The league's policy states that NFL personnel are prohibited from "placing, soliciting or facilitating any bet, whether directly or through a third party," on any NFL game, practice or other league event, such as the draft or combine." It includes betting on the outcome of a game, statistics, the score or individual performance and other prop bets.

The 2022 gambling policy stated that gambling includes "private wagers between teammates, family and friends, or others" but that was not included in the revised 2023 policy.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I'm going to reiterate my call for JD's agent to get punched in the face.

(And as an LSU fan, I'm sick of the ****ing "splashing cash" culture that seems to prevail there, going back at least as far back as the 2019 championship when ODB was handing out cash on the field. Would hope that Kelly would be trying to introduce some dignity. Maybe that's too much to ask anymore.)

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Sep 19, 2008

not sure what this is but cant hurt team building

1715395114735.jpeg

1715395155912.jpeg

@Fixed to Ruin
@hangman005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad