OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Good that you say that, cuz it's time to get on board. This is our guy now. I get that the JD diehards are coming off a bit like, "This was 100% a no-brainer decision! EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING thought so! And it's over now, so neener neener!" But the naysaying Maye supporters that didn't let it go after the pick are putting a sour grapes vibe out there, too.

So yeah, it's time to get excited about Daniels. There's a lot to like. AND, yes, it's also time to stop pretending that it was a no-brainer choice or that there's nothing to worry about. The concerns about JD are real, so let's hope that his apparent humility is just as real.
Guilty! And the whole reason I started being obnoxiously "no-brainer" was to give the sour-grapers a taste of their own.

But I'll be a grown up now.

Of course there are concerns about Daniels. He's a rookie QB who runs like wild in a skinny man's body, FFS. But he's a great effing passer, an electric runner, and he's ****ing ours!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good that you say that, cuz it's time to get on board. This is our guy now. I get that the JD diehards are coming off a bit like, "This was 100% a no-brainer decision! EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING thought so! And it's over now, so neener neener!" But the naysaying Maye supporters that didn't let it go after the pick are putting a sour grapes vibe out there, too.

So yeah, it's time to get excited about Daniels. There's a lot to like. AND, yes, it's also time to stop pretending that it was a no-brainer choice or that there's nothing to worry about. The concerns about JD are real, so let's hope that his apparent humility is just as real.
Stop ignoring the JJ followers. All 2 of us (@Roric). We aren’t crying in our spilt milk, and WE are on board.

We just hope JD can turn into as good a pro as JJ will! :thumbu:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I have some similar worries. That we have a defensive HC and a merc for an OC (that is looking to flash quickly for his next HC gig) - no one that has any patience to develop a QB.

NYG and the MIN were reportedly trying to trade up to 3OA to take DM. And of course NE stuck there and picked him. But our FO didn’t even have him in the final 2? So I worry our coaches/FO didn’t have the same patience (or the stones) to go with the guy who might have more upside.

Obviously I’m totally speculating, and have no idea what our FO is actually thinking. I’m behind the JD pick - he seemed to be the consensus QB2 around the NFL. All 3 guys had things I liked, and things that scared me. I just hope our FO views JD as the best guy now, and the best guy in 5 years.

Also have no interest in “itoldyasos” BS - I just want a long term franchise QB, and the team to win. I’m excited to root for JD and am hoping for the best.
I think the lack-of-patience thing is a big mark in Daniels's favor.

As for the narrow, develop-a-quarterback thing, this is a new coaching staff that is, to some extent, an all-star staff of guys who are all biding time until their next HC jobs. (We have a former HC as our running backs coach, ffs.) That's not a great way to handle any quarterback that needs full development. This would not be the right situation for a DM, who needs more experience and development, or a JJMac, who may be closer, but doesn't have the passing-snaps experience of the others. So a more experienced player that has had more of that development is good for the nearer term -- and the fact that JD still has ceiling means he's not a "he is who he's gonna' be" settled-for option. He's the better option today and he's proven he steps up to better coaching, better systems, better talent on his own team, and better competition.

On the much broader view, this franchise needs a jolt on the field and off. This fan base has to see not just improvement in W/Ls but improvement in the spirit, the commitment, the intelligence, the preparedness. The entire time F*ck Face owned this franchise, it was a stupid team -- from the front-office hires, to the HC hires, to the personnel decisions, to the game-day operations, to the sidelines, to the field. No matter who the coach was or who the players were, we ****ed up time-outs, we ****ed up clock management, we couldn't figure out our own snap count, we couldn't keep our ****ing helmets on our heads after making a good play -- head-shaking, TV-smashing stupidity.

The new ownership with a new player selection and development group and new coaching has to show that this turn-around is from the top down and it starts immediately. I love that they targeted guys with experience and leadership -- and that they were able to do it not only without sacrificing athleticism and production, but while actually hitting both just as strongly as the experience. These are guys who know how to be coached and how to lead and get the best from their peers. And they go right along with the type of guys we grabbed in FA.

I think our top 100 picks are all going to be great pieces of the team this year, and they're all guys who can be really good -- maybe some, great -- players for a long time. I think we've started to build a great young core without sacrificing anything in the long term for the sake of immediate impact.

(And, please, nobody interpret this as "DM or JJ or CDJ or insert-other-favorite-here isn't smart/would have been a dumb pick." This is purely a, "hey, this group seems to be all method, no madness!")

(And the first time we use all our TOs in the first quarter, I'm 100% breaking a ****ing TV...)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Kliff Kingsbury isn't getting a sniff of an NFL HC shot unless JD develops to his full potential and the offense in general performs at a high level. If that happens and we lose KK after year one, two, or three, it will be a good problem to have. We should stop worrying about that scenario and just trust DQ and AP to find the right replacement, preferably from within.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price and Jags

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well hell — you would f***ing hope so!

“Shitty team has shitty players to replace, w lots of high draft picks incoming!!”, News at 11
Well I didn't see anyone making these claims when we were drafting Jamin Davis, for example :D Or Dotson. Or Forbes... Or Haskins. Or anyone.

#Winningtheoffseason!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well I didn't see anyone making these claims when we were drafting Jamin Davis, for example :D Or Dotson. Or Forbes... Or Haskins. Or anyone.

#Winningtheoffseason!
LOL.

“What do you mean? Ron Rivera never had a shitty team! Well, until those last 4 years…”

“Oh, he only coached here for 4 years? So he was always shitty??”

“Ok thanks, maybe I’ll just show myself out”

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I mean, good God. At least play it off “well, if/when that happens, all options will be on the table”

“Next question”

And then go punch whomever is supposed to track that shit for you
So he should punch himself in the face? How can the head coach, who is in charge of game management, not know the implications of a win or a loss? Us peasants on a message board know the implications of a win or loss and our jobs aren’t on the line. What a disaster he was.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Ron Rivera f***ing sucks.

Year 1 - insisted on Haskins being his week 1 starter against the owners wishes, he had zero to do with the team going 7-9 to make the playoffs after a previous 3-13 season

Year 2 - made zero efforts to add Stafford bc he secretly wanted to go into season 2 with a journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB1 .. that was his dream QB. Unfortunately Fitz got hurt and he had to have a guy come off is sisters coach to start 15 games for him. team went 7-10 DESPITE ron rivera as everyone knows QBS who are found on their sisters couch doing online school = multiple championships

Year 3 - made zero efforts to add Wilson bc he secretly wanted to go into the season 3 with a physically broken journeyman in Wentz. Fans in 2024 now are insisting they were on the Marcus Marriota or Mitch Trubisky train back in 2022

Year 4 - made zero efforts to add a QB bc the fan base had annointed Sam Howell as the next franchise QB and since fans are always the smartest and right ... Ron trusted the fans.

-----------

Ron Rivera is too good of a human being for this shit fanbase to shit on him

Most of yall were big Haskins then Heinike then Howell fans ..

Rons failure was he never found a QB and he was to loyal to Jack.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Year 1 - insisted on Haskins being his week 1 starter against the owners wishes, he had zero to do with the team going 7-9 to make the playoffs after a previous 3-13 season

Year 2 - made zero efforts to add Stafford bc he secretly wanted to go into season 2 with a journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB1 .. that was his dream QB. Unfortunately Fitz got hurt and he had to have a guy come off is sisters coach to start 15 games for him. team went 7-10 DESPITE ron rivera as everyone knows QBS who are found on their sisters couch doing online school = multiple championships

Year 3 - made zero efforts to add Wilson bc he secretly wanted to go into the season 3 with a physically broken journeyman in Wentz. Fans in 2024 now are insisting they were on the Marcus Marriota or Mitch Trubisky train back in 2022

Year 4 - made zero efforts to add a QB bc the fan base had annointed Sam Howell as the next franchise QB and since fans are always the smartest and right ... Ron trusted the fans.

-----------

You lost me at “shit fanbase” and “most of ya’ll were big Haskins fans”. This is a great fanbase that has been abused, and Haskins was not well liked.

I’d say people were fairly split on Heinicke and even his supporters did so in a “he’s a plucky little guy, love his heart” sense….he and Sam, how can you not pull for them as fans? You’re faulting people? Come on….Ron was in over his head here…..but at least he brought in some good human beings.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

-----------

Sir, some of us were absolutely never "big Haskins fans". Although I did like Heiny a bit, kid had moxie. Oh and the trade for Wentz made me throw up in my mouth and then on the floor.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
You lost me at “shit fanbase” and “most of ya’ll were big Haskins fans”.

Wow .. I honeslty didnt think people would read past "and in year 2".

Thank you.

(But seriously, Rons a good person of high character. I dont like how we shit on him. We are doing Bruce Allen toxic "no self realization" type stuff here. This organization was shit before Ron.

Ron did a ton for us fans .. and 99.9999 of us shit on him for it)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wow .. I honeslty didnt think people would read past "and in year 2".

Thank you.

(But seriously, Rons a good person of high character. I dont like how we shit on him. We are doing Bruce Allen toxic "no self realization" type stuff here. This organization was shit before Ron.

Ron did a ton for us fans .. and 99.9999 of us shit on him for it)
The organization was shit after Ron too. The roster was arguably worse when he left than he got here. Name one position group he materially improved.

Ron is a great dude who brought respectability and decency back to a trash dumpster of an organization but let’s not act like he wasn’t useless on the field. He had full control over everything and got worse every year. The only real players of note on the roster were players he inherited.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

So…do we give rice a chance when he’s cut?

Always amazed at people’s inability to just do nothing.

Thinking of driving drunk at 115mph? Don’t do that.

Thinking of punching a photographer in public? Nope, bad.

Thinking of assaulting 50-60 different women after getting a massage? Stop! Get some help.

Thinking of tweeting racial or homophobic slurs? I am once again asking you to not push Tweet on that Tweet.

To all pro athletes/famous people, for a measly six figure annual retainer, I can tell you, “nope, that’s dumb” if you’re thinking about doing something questionable. It may seem like a lot upfront but really it’s a drop in the bucket compared to what you could earn if you didn’t do dumb shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad