OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
nope , it'll be the JD supporters who ignored the stacked team he was on and ignored the weak team Maye was on who'll be making up excuses

drafting players is about projecting how they'll be at the next level and not who had the best most recent season because if was about taking the QB who had the best season JD would have gone 1st overall

i keep seeing the tape on JD and almost all of it was him having 5/6 seconds plus in a clean pocket before he makes he throws usually to a wide open receivers , he'll have no where near that time in the pros so hopefully for us his game translates at this level

anyway this being said it could be much much worse , i could be a Falcons fan wondering how much crack the guys running the draft had to smoke before they selected Penix Jr at 8 , lol
Let's just see how he does before immediately writing him off. These guys need the full support of the fanbase heading into the next level

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
took rail thin Forbes which handed the Pats the much higher ranked Gonzales last yearand now took a one year wonder handing the Pats Maye

You're absolutely right about Forbes, but come on. This isn't remotely the same thing. EVERYONE is praising the pick. Even the pundits out there that preferred Maye are saying we got a special player at 2. It's time to start being a bit more fair about your comparison of these 2 guys. It helps to separate the running out, because he IS a very talented thrower with all the right instincts, and his anticipation took a big leap forward this year. The running is just a bonus, but one he has to curtail a bit.

lets hope your right , what i see him is as a guy who'll run around , make the odd exciting play but for the most part we'll be making excuses how he doesn't have anyone around him to be successful

We just got him a couple elite outlet options at RB and TE. That will help, and he does move in the pocket well when he doesn't pull it down. Maybe he pulls it down too much, but that overlooks the first part of that sentence -- he DOES move in the pocket well. He can do it, he just needs to adjust his tendencies.

And look at our O-line. It's better, but it doesn't figure to be great. We're going to need Daniels to create space for himself. So yes, he does need to protect himself, but we'll need his superpowers just as much. Finding that balance will be his journey; what he and the coaches need to sort out together.

My big issues with Daniels is still he takes sacks at an absurd rate (we just saw how well that goes with Sam), he doesn't utilize the middle of the field, and he's not someone who's shown the ability to pair his running with his throwing.

He throws on the run very well, just not as often as we'd like. Curbing that tendency shouldn't be all that difficult. He won't have to carry this team alone, and our offensive coaches are good. They won't let him get away with playing hero ball.

i keep seeing the tape on JD and almost all of it was him having 5/6 seconds plus in a clean pocket before he makes his perfect thrown usually to a wide open receivers

Here again with the hyperbole. That's not what you saw. When he had that kind of time to throw, it was almost always because he provided himself that time. The wide open receivers? Yeah, those dudes were great. But with Daniels' ability to extend plays and our receiving corps? I think we've got the tools to leverage some of the same things Daniels showed in college.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
nope , it'll be the JD supporters who ignored the stacked team he was on and ignored the weak team Maye was on who'll be making up excuses

drafting players is about projecting how they'll be at the next level and not who had the best most recent season because if was about taking the QB who had the best season JD would have gone 1st overall

i keep seeing the tape on JD and almost all of it was him having 5/6 seconds plus in a clean pocket before he makes he throws usually to a wide open receivers , he'll have no where near that time in the pros so hopefully for us his game translates at this level

anyway this being said it could be much much worse , i could be a Falcons fan wondering how much crack the guys running the draft had to smoke before they selected Penix Jr at 8 , lol

I’d get a replacement stopwatch, and watch more video….I see his throws getting out in 3/4 seconds or less, or he’s flushed from the pocket or chooses to take off…

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Again, folks can complain all they want. And guess what? Nobody cares what "you see." If you knew shit about shit you'd be in an NFL front office. (And, no, I don't any more shit about shit than you do.)

The team -- the guys who get paid based on expertise and a history of success -- pretty much unanimously decided on JD. As, it appears, did almost EVERY team in the draft.

So complaining that a league full of experts all disagree with your take? If that's what anyone wants to do, hey, knock yourself out. But it just looks like a tantrum. And the more people keep hammering the same broken drum, the worse it sounds.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

JD average time to throw on all drop backs was 2.91 seconds. Drake Maye was 2.79. Caleb Williams was 3.16. And pressure to sacks conversion was as follows: JD 20.2, DM 19.5 CW 23.2. And for those who think he's just a scrambling QB, JD had 55 undesigned runs. Drake Maye had... checks notes... yeah, he had 51 undesigned runs. A difference of about .2 times per game.

Was curious if day 2 mocks are a thing and they are

This is awful. Zach Frazier goes 11 picks before JPJ? Someone is smoking crack.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
JD average time to throw on all drop backs was 2.91 seconds. Drake Maye was 2.79. Caleb Williams was 3.16. And pressure to sacks conversion was as follows: JD 20.2, DM 19.5 CW 23.2. And for those who think he's just a scrambling QB, JD had 55 undesigned runs. Drake Maye had... checks notes... yeah, he had 51 undesigned runs. A difference of about .2 times per game.

This is awful. Zach Frazier goes 11 picks before JPJ? Someone is smoking crack.
Dude -- is that all you've got? Data and facts??? :sarcasm:

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Let’s go get it today. CB would be very smart. It’s a huge need. I also like S (Nubin). So many good options. Just hope they don’t reach.
I've seen a couple of spots that have us skipping DeJean when he's available and taking a different CB AND another safety. If they do that somebody's getting punched . Likely a person standing on a corner, drinking out of a paper bag.

That said, I really do trust the new operation so I'll be down with whatever they do. (Practicing what I preach :laugh:)

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My biggest issue with Daniels isn’t so much rgiii regrets, it’s more of the fact running QBs have yet to win anything of substance. He’s described and talked about as a running QB.
Mahomes is mobile as hell though not run-first and he's the best QB in the league. Russell Wilson was the same way and won a SB and was runner up in another. Hurts made the SB 2 years ago and lost to Mahomes. Kaepernick was a good rusher and made the SB but lost. Cam Newton as well.

Over the last 12 seasons those guys account for 9 of the 24 starting QB slots. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady account for 7 of them.

The other 8 guys are

Joe Flacco (1 SB win),
Matt Ryan (1 SB loss, retiring),
Nick Foles (1 SB win, now hunting UFOs or something),
Jared Goff (1 SB loss with LAR, now in DET),
Jimmy Gorgonzolapolis (1 SB loss, selling cars and PEDs),
Joe Burrow (1 SB loss),
Matt Stafford (1 SB win vs Burrow), and
Brock Purdy (1 SB loss).

So there's a lot of one and done for "good but not elite" pocket passers, with most of the active ones losing. Repeat winners like Brady and Manning are now rare, apparently.

Does this mean anything? Probably not. But it might suggest the QB style isn't as important as we think.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I should have been more clear….
Running qb not same as mobile qb.

Mahomes, Wilson … mobile.

Jackson, Watson, rgiii…..going back Vick Cunningham….running

One group wins, the other doesn’t/hasn't.

If JD is in fact a pocket qb with exceptional running skilz…so be it, and that’s great. It’s not necessarily what I’ve been hearing past few weeks. Time to let it all play out.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I should have been more clear….
Running qb not same as mobile qb.

Mahomes, Wilson … mobile.

Jackson, Watson, rgiii…..going back Vick Cunningham….running

One group wins, the other doesn’t/hasn't.

If JD is in fact a pocket qb with exceptional running skilz…so be it, and that’s great. It’s not necessarily what I’ve been hearing past few weeks. Time to let it all play out.

What is the actual definition, the actual difference, between a "running QB" and a "mobile QB"? Becuase it really just seems like the difference between these various names are that some are simply better than others, or had better teams, or worked better under pressure, than the others. But the style itself, while undefined, is not a real distinction in who can win SBs and who can't.

Most QBS cannot or have not won a SB. And their style has almost nothing to do with it. Brady won 7, P Manning played in 4, won 2, E manning won 2 more. Mahomes will probably come close to matching. Brady was a statue, 6 second 40 and whatnot. The Mannings were not mobile or runners. Mahomes is the new prototype. Style means little. Talent is intangible.

The prototype QB body is supposedly Josh Allen, who hasn't won shit. May is compared mostly to Allen or Herbert, who also hasn't won shit.

Reactions: g00n

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Rumour out here is Skins will trade 36 for Deebo Samuels.

Not sure how I feel about that. Great player — but hurt a lot
Agreed. He's also not the different -- read, big -- type that we really need.

The strength of what's left at this point is really CB, and that's a lock-on match with one of biggest needs. That puts us in the sweet spot of the intersection of BPA Ave. & Need St. At least one of Kool Aid, DeJean or Rakestraw will be there -- and while he'd be limited to slot, I absolutely LOVE Sainristil. Makes plays all the damn time!

Reactions: kicksavedave

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
If JD is in fact a pocket qb with exceptional running skilz…so be it, and that’s great. It’s not necessarily what I’ve been hearing past few weeks.

Think about the time you've spent over the last weeks and months hearing what others say about Jayden Daniels. There's no need to speculate or listen to anyone else. Here's a video. 98 minutes. Every pass and run from last year. Decide for yourself. I promise it's not as cut and dry as ANYONE has made it out to be, either way.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The first round had few surprises. Penix was the first big one. No major reaches. I think this second round is going to be a big pile of surprises, reaches, dudes falling. I'm shocked as hell that JPJ fell out of the 1st, he was mocked in the 18-26 range universally, like 100%. I'll kick all the puppies if we pass on him twice, needs can be damned.

• Haha
Reactions: ynotcaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad