OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the whole project thing is overblown - he would, IMO, sit at most a few games before taking over
They were literally just tearing this topic apart on ESPN….the general consensus in the discussion, was he sits 10 games to a full season (or you run the risk of doing what the NFL does best, ruin a guy by rushing him).

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
They were literally just tearing this topic apart on ESPN….the general consensus in the discussion, was he sits 10 games to a full season (or you run the risk of doing what the NFL does best, ruin a guy by rushing him).
Is it the same consensus on mccarthy?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
realistically how many QB's shouldn't be sitting for at least half a season and i have no idea why who maybe able to start sooner for us is even in the discussion of who we should draft

just take the guy with the biggest upside and hope we can develop him into a top end QB

Reactions: Holtbyisms and TCB

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is it the same consensus on mccarthy?

I feel like that conversation was he was more pro-ready, not a ton of chatter on that lately.

realistically how many QB's shouldn't be sitting for at least half a season and i have no idea why who maybe able to start sooner for us is even in the discussion of who we should draft

just take the guy with the biggest upside and hope we can develop him into a top end QB

I’ve already said many times he should sit a full year IMO. Biggest upside/low bust potential….somewhere in between…is where I would pick. I just don’t know who that guy is….

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I feel like that conversation was he was more pro-ready, not a ton of chatter on that lately.

I’ve already said many times he should sit a full year IMO. Biggest upside/low bust potential….somewhere in between…is where I would pick. I just don’t know who that guy is….
If we still had howell I would be more open to this, it would just be hard to stomach watching Mariota for an entire year. And I don't think the moves we've made in FA indicate throwing away the first season

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
sorry the sitting comment wasn't directed towards you , it was more a general comment about how it shouldn't be in the discussion over who we should draft

If we still had howell I would be more open to this, it would just be hard to stomach watching Mariota for an entire year. And I don't think the moves we've made in FA indicate throwing away the first season
we started with so many holes and have brought in so many new players it's hard to imagine this won't be a throwaway season regardless who the starter is

sure it would be nice to do what the Texans did but i have a hard time seeing that happening

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Haskins - not ready to start right away - forced into action, disappointed
Howell - not ready to start right away - sat every game but one - looked solid week 18

I wouldn't mind Maye taking a seat for the first few games, the talk again is that he isn't ready while Daniels is ready now and has that unreal athleticism. Only issue on Daniels is his frame, thinner than Maye

at the end of the day whoever they pick, I'll be happy with. And props to the front office for not leaking anything.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Put me down in the Howell Camp over Mariota camp... I know I know general consensus says taking a QB at 2 - they'd likely bust if Howell another young QB was on the roster making them over their shoulder.

Ignoring the best QBs we drafted in recent memory was when we took RGMe and Cousins. Also ignoring its tough for a rookie to straight up beat any seasoned vet QB like Mariota, in a fair fight to start.

I get they wanted Howell out and got good value but if Howell takes off in Seattle I will only not be pissed if the pick we got for him is a stud.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Considering what fields got they did a pretty damn good job in the return for howell. Now it's just up to peters to hit on the picks

Reactions: RandyHolt
Sep 19, 2008
Hack Florio at it again weaving a narrative of Harris being another Snyder clone.

Harris is involved in the process but he is NOT the one making the call. In the past, Snyder would be heavily involved in the process, and tell the front office who to pick. This is not happening here.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It would sooooo f’ing hard to stomach…

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hack Florio at it again weaving a narrative of Harris being another Snyder clone.

Harris is involved in the process but he is NOT the one making the call. In the past, Snyder would be heavily involved in the process, and tell the front office who to pick. This is not happening here.

Adam Peters spoke on this very topic in his recent presser. 25:30. he's asked about Josh's involvement. Florio is just making click bait.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Adam Peters spoke on this very topic in his recent presser. 25:30. he's asked about Josh's involvement. Florio is just making click bait.

Last line….

“While it’s still unclear who the Commanders will take, it will undoubtedly be a guy Harris wants. Or, at a minimum, it will be a player of whom he approves.”

It’s clearly going to be one or the other…Harris IS involved. He just won’t be pulling the Ace and saying “I demand you take this guy”.

It will be a guy he “approves” of….IMO.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Harris is just learning the ins and outs of the NFL draft and talent evaluation process, it must be extremely interesting to witness. I have no doubt he is and has kept out of Peters' way and will ultimately let him make the final call. He's probably like "I'm just hear to watch the magic...you got a guy then take him"

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Hack is appropriate. Florio doesn’t know anything. This allows him to recycle old material.

He and Simms are the worst together.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Like @EroCaps said, I think it's between Daniels and JJ. They made it clear yesterday in the presser that they want someone with experience and not a project (which Maye is). I just know Peters is getting Purdy vibes from JJ

This whole topgolf debacle might just push it over to JJ

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As opposed to…?
One he doesn’t?

Schefter was on Pat M earlier apparently said that maybe it’s becoming clear Washington isn’t JD’s preferred city, that Vegas playing under AP just might be….apparently caused quite a stir earlier….I’m sure there’s a clip somewhere…

Edit: here it is…

Kinda weird Washington wouldn’t tell these guys the others were coming also….

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I think everyone is missing the most important evaluation tool. How did the guys do at golf? This is what I’m “hearing”:

Maye: Absolutely crushed the ball off the tee. Unfortunately, 1/2 his drives sprayed wildly - lots of mulligans, drops, and “dang it!” On the greens he couldn’t stop shuffling his feet, and 3-4 putted most holes. Resident pro was overheard saying “I can fix him.”

Daniels: Nice and easy swing - hit most fairways in regulation. Fantastic short game - got up and down with ease; nice compact putting motion. Revealed later that he flew in early and had already played the course 4 times.

JJM: Spent too much time trying to get tips from the resident pro. That and his meditations slowed everyone down, and caused the group behind to start hitting into them. He then lectured said group about their reckless behavior. Chatted up the beer cart girl with his remaining time.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
lol did some more research, apparently they took them all to topgolf. like, what is the issue here.

:laugh:

as long as everything is comped no problem. hit golf, talk ball, get to know players. brilliant chemistry tactic.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad