OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
He won’t do the obvious dumb things like draft a ball hawking CB because his D needs more turnovers…

Amen. We've been playing checkers in that regard. Takes a chess player to assemble a D with superb turnover metrics. Far less about one guy being good at picking passes and causing fumbles, and way more about constructing a solid D-line, linebackers, and secondary who together make it so damn hard to play offense. At the NFL level you have to force them to make mistakes AND have the skill to capitalize.

"But that guy intercepted a lot of passes in college, so fuggit! Let's get him!" That's what morons do.

Doesn't help that sports media is filled with so many checkers players who think college boxcars mean something, selling the fans on the idea that their "mocks" are worth a shit when the only people playing chess in the NFL draft work for NFL teams and aren't telling any media people a damn thing.

There are so many paper tigers in the NFL draft every year for exactly this reason. And that's reason #1 that I wouldn't be done with Sam Howell. Maye looks like a solid QB prospect to me with prototypical presence, but his college pedigree is very thin. If he's our guy I want insurance, and Sam showed us some things this year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Amen. We've been playing checkers in that regard. Takes a chess player to assemble a D with superb turnover metrics. Far less about one guy being good at picking passes and causing fumbles, and way more about constructing a solid D-line, linebackers, and secondary who together make it so damn hard to play offense. At the NFL level you have to force them to make mistakes AND have the skill to capitalize.

"But that guy intercepted a lot of passes in college, so fuggit! Let's get him!" That's what morons do.

Doesn't help that sports media is filled with so many checkers players who think college boxcars mean something, selling the fans on the idea that their "mocks" are worth a shit when the only people playing chess in the NFL draft work for NFL teams and aren't telling any media people a damn thing.

There are so many paper tigers in the NFL draft every year for exactly this reason. And that's reason #1 that I wouldn't be done with Sam Howell. Maye looks like a solid QB prospect to me with prototypical presence, but his college pedigree is very thin. If he's our guy I want insurance, and Sam showed us some things this year.
That my hopeful plan….draft Maye, let Sam take next year, see what he can become and groom Drake. 1-2 years of understudy has done well for a few recent guys (Mahomes and Love)…..

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
That my hopeful plan….draft Maye, let Sam take next year, see what he can become and groom Drake. 1-2 years of understudy has done well for a few recent guys (Mahomes and Love)…..
Mahomes and Love weren’t playing behind a 5th round pick at QB, of course they didn’t start right off the bat. You spend draft capital like #2OA for a qb, he gets the starting nod day 1 provided he shows it in camp

Reactions: RedRocking

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I mean, it's weird to say this, but now our problem is we have several options to score at QB, right?
We have the 2OA pick in a draft that's at least 3 QBs deep; we have a guy that showed some positives before his inexperience, a terrible OL, and questionable play calling (abandoning the run all season) overwhelmed him; and there's a young guy who's also demonstrated some skills likely to be available via trade for a price that we can easily pay while still keeping our big chip to either use or trade.
It's a damn sight better than the has-beens, never-weres, and math-students-sleeping-on-their-sister's-couches we've been dealing with since our last competent QB -- Kirk-freaking-Cousins -- left.
I like the Harrisskins better than the Snyderskins.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Mahomes and Love weren’t playing behind a 5th round pick at QB, of course they didn’t start right off the bat. You spend draft capital like #2OA for a qb, he gets the starting nod day 1 provided he shows it in camp

Doesn’t mean you have to throw the new rookie to the wolves with a poor OL. No reason to do the classic NFL blunder and rush a guy because of his draft #.

Letting SH play another year could return a huge bounty while you build the team and let Maye percolate. Don’t get me wrong if Maye wins the job clearly out of camp, go with him, but otherwise I prefer patience.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
What do we think of Fields? Give up a day 2 pick for him? Trade off #2OA and pick up a crap load of stuff??

Meh?

In Peters We Trust
Absolute no on Fields for me. He’s had 3 years to show whether he’s a franchise QB - and generally, if the answer is still “meh?”, then he ain’t it.

Plus, after next year you have to pick up a 5th year option at ~25M, then give him a real contract (north of stupid Daniel Jones $). There’s no reason to rush that kind of timetable/decision on a rebuilding team.

Especially when there will be a great QB prospect at 2OA that starts the 5 year clock fresh.

I know as a fanbase we’re desperate for just some adequate QB play. But, we need to be aiming higher, and trying to draft a real difference maker. A guy who elevates everyone around him, and doesn’t need a perfect situation to excel. We’re sitting on a lottery ticket, and have to hope it hits.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
1705681359644.jpeg

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Absolute no on Fields for me. He’s had 3 years to show whether he’s a franchise QB - and generally, if the answer is still “meh?”, then he ain’t it.

Plus, after next year you have to pick up a 5th year option at ~25M, then give him a real contract (north of stupid Daniel Jones $). There’s no reason to rush that kind of timetable/decision on a rebuilding team.

Especially when there will be a great QB prospect at 2OA that starts the 5 year clock fresh.

I know as a fanbase we’re desperate for just some adequate QB play. But, we need to be aiming higher, and trying to draft a real difference maker. A guy who elevates everyone around him, and doesn’t need a perfect situation to excel. We’re sitting on a lottery ticket, and have to hope it hits.
I get all of that. 100%. My only thinking is Fields is definitely “better” than anyone we’ve run out since healthy Alex Smith. He won’t be very expensive to acquire, for the reasons you mentioned. He’s been quite good, when used correctly. Never underestimate what bad coaching can do, as we’ve all seen that first hand!

AND we could grab a bundle of futures while moving back a little bit, to add more starters all over the place.

I see it as simply something to think about. The futures we get could coincide with what the Bears got this year. Or what Miami got from SF that allowed them to catapult pretty quickly.

Food for thought is all.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Regarding drafting the QB, we HAVE to get it right, of course. And we are putting our trust in Peters and the new HC, of course. But a lot of us, myself included, have preferences for who we want to pick. I've been on the Maye over Williams wagon, since it appeared to me from his highlight videos that Maye runs a pro offense and makes his reads and progressions better.

However, over at CPND, where they literally do nothing with their lives but over analyze Redskins football, there is a growing contingent that has scouted full games and thinks Maye has a lot of flaws, similar to that which Howell shows. He tends to hold the ball too long, gets happy feet in the pocket and lacks pocket awareness to shift and move in the pocket, quite a bit. None of this shows up on his highlight reels, but scouts talk about things he needs to "work on" in this manner. PM me for the link, if you want. Or google that stuff :D

The consensus there seems to be more on Daniels, for the larger body of work, the better pocket presence and better overall decision making. I get that its just one set of opinions and the only ones that matter are those of Peters and the HC, but I've been re-examining my own preference for Maye and I'm open to a lot of options.

Highlight videos suck. They make even highly flawed QBs look great. Its the entire game film, vs good defenses, that show the whole picture. Fortunately our new FO will have the COMPLETE picture, and will hopefully get this one right.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I get all of that. 100%. My only thinking is Fields is definitely “better” than anyone we’ve run out since healthy Alex Smith. He won’t be very expensive to acquire, for the reasons you mentioned. He’s been quite good, when used correctly. Never underestimate what bad coaching can do, as we’ve all seen that first hand!

AND we could grab a bundle of futures while moving back a little bit, to add more starters all over the place.

I see it as simply something to think about. The futures we get could coincide with what the Bears got this year. Or what Miami got from SF that allowed them to catapult pretty quickly.

Food for thought is all.

Regarding the trade down scenario, I mocked on PFF this trade and it looks pretty nice. Even if we didn't land Daniels with this 5th pick, we would get Alt and put some serious juice into the OL.

pff_mock_results (1).png

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad