Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v2 | Thu, Apr 25 | @ KC | 2pm ET/11am PT | Berrios vs Ragans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I get what he was trying to do - get the tag down as quickly as possible and try to get the out at second - but man... just focus on getting the easy out you already have.

Yeah he basically flinched when he saw the opportunity for the double play and pulled up too soon instead of making sure of the one out.

Fine line between making a great, alert play and making a terrible one.

Reactions: Discoverer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"Home runs there's no one on base, but a double you've still got a guy in scoring position."

Now Buck, stay with me here. Do you know why you don't have a guy on base and in scoring position after a home run? Because he scored. I don't care if you want the pressure on the pitcher or whatever, I'll take one run for sure over having to wait for another hit to get that run home....

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
"Home runs there's no one on base, but a double you've still got a guy in scoring position."

Now Buck, stay with me here. Do you know why you don't have a guy on base and in scoring position after a home run? Because he scored. I don't care if you want the pressure on the pitcher or whatever, I'll take one run for sure over having to wait for another hit to get that run home....
Case on point, Biggio hit a homer there it’s 5-0 instead of 4-0.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

you would be a horrible broadcaster with logic like that!

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
wtf is with outside pitches being called for strikes wtf

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you would be a horrible broadcaster with logic like that!

there was an entry on Fire Joe Morgan years ago (god I miss that site) where they talked about a Fox or ESPN game broadcast and the guys in the booth asked the question "Do you get more multi-run innings from a lead-off walk or a lead-off HR?"

The answer naturally, was a lead-off homer. They were absolutely flabbergasted that was true. they were adamant and completely confident that it would be a lead-off walk because of some nonsense about putting pressure on the pitcher and creating an environment to cash runs in.

They could just not wrap their heads around the idea that getting a run on the board makes it easier to have multiple runs because you're halfway there. It was insane.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still remember that 1-hitter he threw. I was so convinced he was going to be an ace. He just couldn't stay healthy.

In some alternate timeline somewhere, Morrow is just finishing up a 50 WAR career.

Big talent, great stuff, just couldn't stay healthy and also was diabetic and had trouble managing his blood sugar levels as a starter. Even at the end of his career as a reliever he was dominant and put up a sub-2.00 ERA over three partial seasons. Like you, I always thought he was going to be a star for this team right up until he left.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
there was an entry on Fire Joe Morgan years ago (god I miss that site) where they talked about a Fox or ESPN game broadcast and the guys in the booth asked the question "Do you get more multi-run innings from a lead-off walk or a lead-off HR?"

The answer naturally, was a lead-off homer. They were absolutely flabbergasted that was true. they were adamant and completely confident that it would be a lead-off walk because of some nonsense about putting pressure on the pitcher and creating an environment to cash runs in.

They could just not wrap their heads around the idea that getting a run on the board makes it easier to have multiple runs because you're halfway there. It was insane.

Probably isn't surprising that professional athletes and professional talkers aren't professional mathematicians.

It's crazy how almost everything that everyone thought about baseball in the 1970s and 1980s was totally wrong.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's CB Bucknor, The slightly richer man's Angel Hernandez.

Really the biggest thing Bucknor has going for him is that he's not a raving egotist asshole like Hernandez is.

It’s the key thing that separated Joe West and Angel Hernandez from other terrible umpires, they were/are also huge arrogant jerks.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad