WC: 2024 Team USA

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did anyone else hear that the US has the 2nd youngest overall team in the tournament? That does surprise me, thought for sure with some of the vets we added like Nelson, Nedeljkovic and Petry that wouldn't be the case.

Well, the smaller countries will have players who are in their late 30s and even early 40s due to the size of their player pools.

The elite European teams like Finland and Sweden will often have a few guys from their domestic leagues that lean old.

Who is the youngest? Is it Canada?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, the smaller countries will have players who are in their late 30s and even early 40s due to the size of their player pools.

The elite European teams like Finland and Sweden will often have a few guys from their domestic leagues that lean old.

Who is the youngest? Is it Canada?
I honestly don't know, I just heard the US was 2nd youngest and my thoughts went to Canada being the youngest since they brought some kids too...but I can't confirm that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Unfortunately, we are dealing with millionaire athletes who have been pampered all season long. Many of us have advocated for USA Hockey to do more to lure top players here that includes more things for them to do with players families- or things their families can do without the players.

Treating this as a vacation, I think is inevitable if they have families here - but finding that balance of taking this seriously has to be there. And that is on the coaching staff 100%. I know Canada deals with this even more than we do most years, as their talent pool is even deeper and still struggle to fill out rosters most years.

This team not practicing yesterday is idiotic. I don't have any defense for that especially looking at this schedule and seeing the gap after today plus the "lighter" matchups the rest of the way.

I don't mind them trying to make the tournament as fun and easy on the players as possible. For example, I remember when O'Sullivan was very open about how kush Hockey Canada makes it on their players in ways that USAH didn't (i.e., not covering flights and hotels for family), which is something USAH should get to parity on wherever it persists.

But if a player doesn't want to be here because an "off-day" will have a 90 minute practice then good riddance. They could have practiced yesterday and everyone still could have golfed.

I don't see this as needing to be militant. It's about prioritization. You can still have a good time while also putting the tournament first.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I will say this, much rather have this shit happen now and not in the QF or SF like it usually happens. Maybe this year we pull a reversal and struggle in the prelims and dominate the rest of the way. Our teams usually do well in the preliminary round only to shit the bed come elimination time.
I was encouraged by the way the team came back today. They win by two goals if the US has better goaltending.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't mind them trying to make the tournament as fun and easy on the players as possible. For example, I remember when O'Sullivan was very open about how kush Hockey Canada makes it on their players in ways that USAH didn't (i.e., not covering flights and hotels for family), which is something USAH should get to parity on wherever it persists.

But if a player doesn't want to be here because an "off-day" will have a 90 minute practice then good riddance. They could have practiced yesterday and everyone still could have golfed.

I don't see this as needing to be militant. It's about prioritization. You can still have a good time while also putting the tournament first.
Oh I agree 100%. How anyone can look at that schedule and go "you know what, let's not practice today so we can be fresh for Slovakia and then even fresher for that almost 3 day break we have until France"...If the players asked for that day off, I would tell them NO. You will have plenty of time to relax and bond or do family shit later this week/weekend. We should be thankful for the guys who showed up here, but not that thankful. This team looked like it hadn't practiced or been on ice for days to start the game, that unfortunately sunk us.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
How has Zegras looked?
Trying to keep an open mind about him, but can’t say I have been happy with him at all. Hes needed to be sheltered to not get stuck in his own zone, but the offensive plays haven’t been there to justify it. Poor passing, not getting any separation on his own, and shot selection leaving a lot more to be desired so far IMO. A lot of guys would benefit from simplifying and putting more direct effort in, Zegras is absolutely one of them.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Trying to keep an open mind about him, but can’t say I have been happy with him at all. Hes needed to be sheltered to not get stuck in his own zone, but the offensive plays haven’t been there to justify it. Poor passing, not getting any separation on his own, and shot selection leaving a lot more to be desired so far IMO. A lot of guys would benefit from simplifying and putting more direct effort in, Zegras is absolutely one of them.
Thanks. I feel like some of that comes from playing on such a horrible team and trying to do too much at times rather than trusting your linemates and playing within the system. He also needs to get physically stronger.

Reactions: Summer Rose

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is in no way relevant to this match, but I don't understand the schedule in this tournament year after year. The preliminary round is already painfully long, so why not distribute big matchups throughout the group stage. Usually, big teams play "pointless" games in a row and after that you feel like you have aged 10 years.
^Yup^

Team U.S.A. has the strangest schedule. Usually strong teams play WEAK teams early and difficult teams at the end of the Round Robin. The U.S. has the opposite this year - you have nothing but fluff for the remainder of the R.R.

It will be interesting to see if it serves the U.S. well.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is in no way relevant to this match, but I don't understand the schedule in this tournament year after year. The preliminary round is already painfully long, so why not distribute big matchups throughout the group stage. Usually, big teams play "pointless" games in a row and after that you feel like you have aged 10 years.

With Russia no longer in the tournament, it's hard to put most of the teams in the "big game" category with the exception of Sweden, Finland, Canada and the USA.

And of those four only Sweden has what could be considered an A roster (and their forward group is only slightly better than mediocre).

It's a fun tournament to watch but almost designed to be competitive and not to determine which nation is the strongest in hockey.

With the exception of France, Britain, Norway, and Poland there isn't much difference between the mid-tier teams in the tournament.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Just to add to this:

A lot of folks on these boards who support North American teams are pretty heavily blinkered, and wonder why the tournament doesn't make a few tweaks here and there that would overwhelmingly benefit their teams. I see it most from Canadian posters, but that's the place I tend to end up.

The most common complaint about international hockey is that there are only five or six teams who have a legitimate chance to win. But if you don't put a specific effort into bringing other countries up, you'll never increase that number. Germany, Switzerland and to a lesser extent Denmark and Latvia, have started knocking on the door, but for international hockey to really take off, there needs to be more work to bring along top European sports nations, like France, Italy, Great Britain and the like.

Setting conditions at the worlds to encourage basic fairness for the minnows - as opposed to giving prefential treatment to the top 6 - doesn't neccessarily improve development, but the opposite would absolutely set back any improvement.

Overall, when we North Americans look at this tournament, we need to see it through the lens of countries where hockey still needs help to get it into the collective consciousness.
If the IIHF cared about growing the game or doing things for the little guy countries, like France, Italy, Great Britain, they would greatly loosen up the very strict rules regarding IIHF eligibility. Compared to basically every other sport, IIHF is as strict as it gets with a 2-year rule that must take place after age 12. Orgs like FIFA, FIBA, WBSC are not nearly as strict and give less traditional countries more of a chance. Hard for me to believe AHL caliber players with a connection to those sort of countries playing for them internationally would make some great mockery of the sport, but it definitely could make games more competitive and promote the occasional surprising result in a top division, which could in turn garner some more attention domestically. But the IIHF is very guarded against "passport shopping" for whatever reason even though there are only 16 countries that have produced double-digit NHL draft picks and a big separation of the top 8 and next 8, and then top 4 and next 4, and then top 1 and next 3.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I honestly don't know, I just heard the US was 2nd youngest and my thoughts went to Canada being the youngest since they brought some kids too...but I can't confirm that.
USA is youngest, Canada is second youngest. Canada would have been younger but sent Celebrini and Fantilli home. USA avg age is 24.92, Canada avg age is 25.33. Norway is only other other team with an average below 26, with an average age of 25.75. Poland and Switzerland are oldest teams with average ages over 30.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
If the IIHF cared about growing the game or doing things for the little guy countries, like France, Italy, Great Britain, they would greatly loosen up the very strict rules regarding IIHF eligibility. Compared to basically every other sport, IIHF is as strict as it gets with a 2-year rule that must take place after age 12. Orgs like FIFA, FIBA, WBSC are not nearly as strict and give less traditional countries more of a chance. Hard for me to believe AHL caliber players with a connection to those sort of countries playing for them internationally would make some great mockery of the sport, but it definitely could make games more competitive and promote the occasional surprising result in a top division, which could in turn garner some more attention domestically. But the IIHF is very guarded against "passport shopping" for whatever reason even though there are only 16 countries that have produced double-digit NHL draft picks and a big separation of the top 8 and next 8, and then top 4 and next 4, and then top 1 and next 3.

FIBA eligibility rules are a joke. They can just give you a passport and thats it. These days, there are always players in national teams who have not even visited the country they represent. In the last World Cup, for example, an American player who played for Croatia said that he didn't even know where the country was until he was asked to join the national team. What is the point of such an activity? Kills the whole idea of a national team competition. It's the same as not playing at all. The IIHF rules are not perfect, but better in this area compared to many others. In too many sports these days, it's just chasing dual citizens or buying players instead of actually developing your own players and raising the level of the sport at the grassroots level. The idea is that which country is the best in the sport. It is not the idea that a country is successful just because they have a team full of players developed by another country. A couple of players like that? Fine. Half a team? A complete joke.

With Russia no longer in the tournament, it's hard to put most of the teams in the "big game" category with the exception of Sweden, Finland, Canada and the USA.

And of those four only Sweden has what could be considered an A roster (and their forward group is only slightly better than mediocre).

It's a fun tournament to watch but almost designed to be competitive and not to determine which nation is the strongest in hockey.

With the exception of France, Britain, Norway, and Poland there isn't much difference between the mid-tier teams in the tournament.

With the teams we usually have in this tournament, yes, games like Slovakia and the Czechia can be counted as "big" games, at least on some level. Switzerland too. Maybe even Germany. Russia ban has had the biggest impact on Hockey. No question about that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
FIBA eligibility rules are a joke. They can just give you a passport and thats it. These days, there are always players in national teams who have not even visited the country they represent. In the last World Cup, for example, an American player who played for Croatia said that he didn't even know where the country was until he was asked to join the national team. What is the point of such an activity? Kills the whole idea of a national team competition. It's the same as not playing at all.
Depends what the "idea" of national team competition is. I suppose if a giant d-measuring contest, then yeah, it goes against the point if some guys aren't deemed to be properly enough "your guys" or whatever.
The IIHF rules are not perfect, but better in this area compared to many others. In too many sports these days, it's just chasing dual citizens or buying players instead of actually developing your own players and raising the level of the sport at the grassroots level.
Having some representation of players that are capable and choosing to represent the country with at least presumably *some* level of connection (would agree straight up Free Agency is a bridge too far) to the country could definitely help at the grassroot level. FIFA has cracked down a bit on some of the most egregious cases, nowadays everyone has some connection. FIFA isn't the only sporting body out there, btw. Watch the Olympics coming up, really dive into competitor's backstory and you'll see it's not all people "developed" in a certain country whose flag they wear.
The idea is that which country is the best in the sport.
Meh. Is it? It's just competition to promote the sport. If the snowboarder is born in San Francisco but represents China because her Mom is from there and she has that connection is it bad because China isn't "really" the best? But the person with the connection is still choosing to say "I represent China" in this instance?
It is not the idea that a country is successful just because they have a team full of players developed by another country. A couple of players like that? Fine. Half a team? A complete joke.
It's not really a "joke", unless you really take this idea "which country is the best" like... really seriously and it's like... really important for you. It's just a competition involving certain individuals choosing to represent a country they have a connection with.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Meh. Is it? It's just competition to promote the sport. If the snowboarder is born in San Francisco but represents China because her Mom is from there and she has that connection is it bad because China isn't "really" the best? But the person with the connection is still choosing to say "I represent China" in this instance?

What the point with national teams then? Why not just then have some random squads who come to compete to the Worlds. Or that the country is not represented at the Olympics? The athletes would then only represent themselves.

Having some representation of players that are capable and choosing to represent the country with at least presumably *some* level of connection (would agree straight up Free Agency is a bridge too far) to the country could definitely help at the grassroot level. FIFA has cracked down a bit on some of the most egregious cases, nowadays everyone has some connection. FIFA isn't the only sporting body out there, btw. Watch the Olympics coming up, really dive into competitor's backstory and you'll see it's not all people "developed" in a certain country whose flag they wear.

Yes and this is the problem. Usually the reason is either money or the fact that you are not good enough to represent your own country. There are too few places for the best countries at the Olympics. Because of this, many are not allowed to represent their own country. I personally don't appreciate anyone who takes advantage of our country and rises to the top just to wave the flag of another country. It's a joke.

It's not really a "joke", unless you really take this idea "which country is the best" like... really seriously and it's like... really important for you. It's just a competition involving certain individuals choosing to represent a country they have a connection with.

Well I do at least up to a certain point. It's gross, for example in soccer where many countries just try to attract dual citizens with whatever. These are often even state-level processes. Especially in certain countries. Many of those players are still very young. It shouldn't be like that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What the point with national teams then? Why not just then have some random squads who come to compete to the Worlds. Or that the country is not represented at the Olympics? The athletes would then only represent themselves.

Yes and this is the problem. Usually the reason is either money or the fact that you are not good enough to represent your own country. There are too few places for the best countries at the Olympics. Because of this, many are not allowed to represent their own country. I personally don't appreciate anyone who takes advantage of our country and rises to the top just to wave the flag of another country. It's a joke.

Well I do at least up to a certain point. It's gross, for example in soccer where many countries just try to attract dual citizens with whatever. These are often even state-level processes. Especially in certain countries. Many of those players are still very young. It shouldn't be like that.
You are entitled to how you feel, just saying if people are going to wax upthread about how the IIHF has this moral imperative to help Poland and Great Britain grow and structures the group stage of the world championship with this mind, it's a blatant disregard of that to maintain such stringent eligibility requirements, such that if an American or Canadian minor league player has a Polish mother, they will never play for Poland because of the difficulties in how to become eligible and accordingly will just be in an IIHF competition because they won't sniff a Canada/USA roster, all to prevent "passport shopping". It's much more strict and protectionist of the big countries and their status than just about any other sporting federation.

Put 5 guys like that on Poland, and they have a much better chance of being competitive. Does that completely ruin the "point" of international competition? Is this really "the problem" because a bad team is a slightly less bad team with players you've never heard of either way? I guess? Idk. Is Olympic Basketball ruined because Domantas Sabonis plays for Lithuania when he was born in the USA, lived 10 years in Spain and then came back to the USA where he's been the last 10 years between College/NBA? Is it more OK for him because his father is a famous Lithuanian basketball legend?

I'm saying those two things are contradictory and speaks against the idea that IIHF is all that interested in "promoting" anything.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Is Olympic Basketball ruined because Domantas Sabonis plays for Lithuania when he was born in the USA, lived 10 years in Spain and then came back to the USA where he's been the last 10 years between College/NBA? Is it more OK for him because his father is a famous Lithuanian basketball legend?

Like I said, couple players like that, fine. Half a team, then I would say it would be ruined.

Great Britain, for example, has quite many players born in Canada in the team. The fact that they least have to play a couple of seasons in that country is, in my opinion, the least that should be required in these situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad