2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs Schedule Information

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
NHL should end their schedule on a Tuesday for a weekend start, not originally slated for April 22. Eastern conference ended their schedule on a Wednesday. Most of the teams ended theirs on a Tuesday so I felt that Westerns conference teams got hosed off with that type of schedule.

Reactions: David71

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It looks like all the Turner games will be on Max as well. Will ESPN games be on ESPN+?
No, except for the games on ABC and maybe a few few games. ESPN typically doesn’t put espn or espn2 programming on ESPN+ unless you have cable or a live video service.

Reactions: Nasti

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
One nice thing is that all game 7's are scheduled for a Saturday and Sunday. Makes it easier to schedule them in a way to prevent them happening at the same time.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Very few games on CBC. Only series they have in full is the Leafs-Bruins. Just 2 games from the Winnipeg-Avs series, 2 games from the Oilers-Kings and NO games from the Vancouver-Nashville series.
Yeah, it seems like less than the last few years. I only watch the CBC ones - hopefully they add more as round 1 continues. I guess we won't know until closer to the days.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
One nice thing is that all game 7's are scheduled for a Saturday and Sunday. Makes it easier to schedule them in a way to prevent them happening at the same time.
I like the weekend start (which leads to the weekend end) as well. There is no jumping back and forth between games one with the remote. Every series gets its own spotlight to start.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
League must not have really looked fully at arena availability when they scheduled tomorrow's games back on Wednesday to be at 5pm and 8pm...pretty sure they felt someone would be able to play game 1 at like 9 or 10 in the central or west and then as the chips fell none of those arenas were available or the teams who matched up one of them played last night. Might have gone with a 630 and 8pm start otherwise

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
League must not have really looked fully at arena availability when they scheduled tomorrow's games back on Wednesday to be at 5pm and 8pm...pretty sure they felt someone would be able to play game 1 at like 9 or 10 in the central or west and then as the chips fell none of those arenas were available or the teams who matched up one of them played last night. Might have gone with a 630 and 8pm start otherwise
The timeslot were set and basically published weeks ago if you follow when TBS/TNT/ESPN/ESPN2 publish their tv schedules for the guides. Turner for Saturday gave them two timeslot on TBS for 5 and 8 pm. Because the West conference scheduled ended on Thursday there was always going to be only 2 games Saturday because of the turnaround (the eastern conference mostly finished Tuesday except for 2 Wednesday games). They scheduled the games into those pre-designated slots.

The playoffs are essentially pre-scheduled with the league filling in existing open television slot. That said they did move up the playoffs start earlier this year as it was supposed to start originally on Monday but Turner and ESPN opened up some windows to start Saturday. Also ESPN opened up night windows on ESPN and after Sunday Night Baseball to allow the West playoffs to start Sunday. As of last week ESPN only listed the afternoon slots on their coverage.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The timeslot were set and basically published weeks ago if you follow when TBS/TNT/ESPN/ESPN2 publish their tv schedules for the guides. Turner for Saturday gave them two timeslot on TBS for 5 and 8 pm. Because the West conference scheduled ended on Thursday there was always going to be only 2 games Saturday because of the turnaround (the eastern conference mostly finished Tuesday except for 2 Wednesday games). They scheduled the games into those pre-designated slots.

The playoffs are essentially pre-scheduled with the league filling in existing open television slot. That said they did move up the playoffs start earlier this year as it was supposed to start originally on Monday but Turner and ESPN opened up some windows to start Saturday. Also ESPN opened up night windows on ESPN and after Sunday Night Baseball to allow the West playoffs to start Sunday. As of last week ESPN only listed the afternoon slots on their coverage.

I'll never understand why they play afternoon games anyway, especially after the first round. I understand it somewhat to get more games in during a given day but in general ratings suck and players hate them. You'd think they try their best given both of those things to have everything at night or even do a 5pm game like they have tomorrow

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'll never understand why they play afternoon games anyway, especially after the first round. I understand it somewhat to get more games in during a given day but in general ratings suck and players hate them. You'd think they try their best given both of those things to have everything at night or even do a 5pm game like they have tomorrow
Weekend afternoons is traditionally when the broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) air broadcast sports. They provide the widest audience. Although with the decline of scripted tv you are seeing more primetime sports on those networks. Late Sunday afternoon (4-7pm) probably provides a bigger viewing audience than primetime Saturday night.

Also for the early rounds when there are more games, it is also to enable them to schedule games where they have their own exclusive window with another game at the same time. Having two games on at once potentially splits the audience. Weeknights you have to do that because most people work or have school during the day. But weekends are different.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Still 10 minutes to go, but once again seems like Heat and Panthers playoff games are going to happen at the same time for Game 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad