2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs Schedule Information

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
Playoffs start this Saturday though

Why so late? I would think they would be on Hockey Night im Canada for the weekend

I guess Toronto and Vancouver are bigger markets plus Edmonton as McDavid so they will be more featured up there

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
As per Rick Dhaliwal, game 1 in Vancouver will be Tuesday night. As per the American TV schedule, there are only 2 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday, 3 games on Monday.

If jets open Monday and Canucks open Tuesday, I expect Oilers to open Sunday and Leafs to open Saturday.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
all 16 teams should play saturday sunday. then alternate afterwards unless some arenas have concerts or events going on thats why its a proposed schuedle?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
When was the last time the playoffs started on a weekend?

Don't recall it happening very often.

When they start during the week it's usually 4 games one night 4 games the next
Pretty sure everything they do follows the NBA at this point. That's what happens when your rights are sold to the same networks as a more successful league which plays at pretty much the same time.

Reactions: CanuckCity

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Starting on the weekend with your biggest market is way f***ing smarter, good job on the networks using their brains. Definitely wasn’t an NHL decision

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
As per Rick Dhaliwal, game 1 in Vancouver will be Tuesday night. As per the American TV schedule, there are only 2 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday, 3 games on Monday.

If jets open Monday and Canucks open Tuesday, I expect Oilers to open Sunday and Leafs to open Saturday.
Looks like there could be 4 games on Monday, so if the Canucks don't start until Tuesday there might be a Sat/Mon series (Leafs?).

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Looks like there could be 4 games on Monday, so if the Canucks don't start until Tuesday there might be a Sat/Mon series (Leafs?).

that guy's post isn't complete...he only shows 44 possible Round 1 games & 14 possible second round games. It may turn out that way but he is missing a bunch of potential games.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
that guy's post isn't complete...he only shows 44 possible Round 1 games & 14 possible second round games. It may turn out that way but he is missing a bunch of potential games.
Yep it's being updated as more windows are added to the ESPN/Turner schedules but it looks complete through April 28th.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
The Knicks play game 1 at MSG on Saturday so I assume that means the Rangers will start Sunday or Monday.

Also the Celtics play game 1 on Sunday, so the Bruins could start Saturday.

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
How does it work when an NBA and NHL team share an arena? Which team can choose the preferred home games first?

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Looks like NHL is going to have messed up start times and will cause staggered series during playoffs again. NHL needs to end regular season at same time for all teams. Understand the issues that come up from 1 series sweeping and some going 6-7 games, but regular season ending >>>> playoffs starting should be same for everyone. One day difference should be max, if they can help it.

Lightning played Florida during 2nd round not long ago, they finished 4th game of their series before some teams were just starting 2nd game of their series. This kind of time difference should not be happening so soon into playoffs, and it caused Lightning to have like a 9+ day break until ECF's before playing Rangers. Lightning looked cold to the bone at start ECF series. Some teams handle layoffs better than others, Lightning are not one of those teams.

Reactions: Tryamw and David71

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Looks like NHL is going to have messed up start times and will cause staggered series during playoffs again. NHL needs to end regular season at same time for all teams. Understand the issues that come up from 1 series sweeping and some going 6-7 games, but regular season ending >>>> playoffs starting should be same for everyone. One day difference should be max, if they can help it.

Lightning played Florida during 2nd round not long ago, they finished 4th game of their series before some teams were just starting 2nd game of their series. This kind of time difference should not be happening so soon into playoffs, and it caused Lightning to have like a 9+ day break until ECF's before playing Rangers. Lightning looked cold to the bone at start ECF series. Some teams handle layoffs better than others, Lightning are not one of those teams.

My personal favourite was last season when the Oilers had Game 2 in Vegas. It was scheduled, officially announced, a lot of Oiler fans booked flights and paid for tickets, then at the 11th hour they changed it. Why? Because the Florida Panthers owner had a horse in the Kentucky Derby and he wanted to go to that.

The hundreds of fans that spent a lot of non-refundable money to travel to attend a game? f*** them, the nice to have wishes of the Florida Panther's owner is more important.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
It'll depend on arena availability too. LA has 3 teams sharing an arena, Dallas, New York and Boston with 2 etc.

NBA likely gets priority and the markets that don't share (Canadian teams and VGK for example) might get the better slots so there is no head to head to compete for eyeballs

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It'll depend on arena availability too. LA has 3 teams sharing an arena, Dallas, New York and Boston with 2 etc.

NBA likely gets priority and the markets that don't share (Canadian teams and VGK for example) might get the better slots so there is no head to head to compete for eyeballs
The bigger issue for some is that both teams in the arena have home ice/court (Knicks/Rangers, Bruins/Celtics). Then the potential for Kings/Lakers both being the lower seed. They're lucky Avs/Nuggets and Mavs/Stars don't have that issue at the moment.

Also those games on back to back days may be different networks, so a lot of things happening in a short window. They'll manage, but you wonder when someone of these games get played.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The NHL has been at 16 playoff teams since 1980, when there were only 21 teams overall.

Now there are 32 and we are likely to get to 34 soon.

So, I think the NHL should go to 20 playoff teams when that happens by adopting a strictly division-based playoff format for the pre-conference final rounds and having the top 5 teams in each division qualify.

The 4/5 series in each division would be best of three, with game 2 at the 5 seed and the other games at the 4 seed, with the series winner going on to face the 1 seed in their division.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
My personal favourite was last season when the Oilers had Game 2 in Vegas. It was scheduled, officially announced, a lot of Oiler fans booked flights and paid for tickets, then at the 11th hour they changed it. Why? Because the Florida Panthers owner had a horse in the Kentucky Derby and he wanted to go to that.

The hundreds of fans that spent a lot of non-refundable money to travel to attend a game? f*** them, the nice to have wishes of the Florida Panther's owner is more important.
Oh my, missed that one and holy wrong!!!!

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Celtics play sunday so do the Bruins start saturday or we gonna wait till monday?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Yup, I expect Leafs/Bruins to play Sat, Mon, Thu, Sat... not sure after that, but there will probably be a few more two day breaks I'd imagine.

Reactions: TimeZone

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oilers building has a concert on Saturday. Would hope for a Monday start given they had 5 in 7 to close the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad