2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Savard, Barron, Hutson, Mailloux, Struble, Kovacevic, Harris, Reinbacher

Who plays game 1?
I doubt they sign any D from ufa (Hughes specifically called out not wanting to hurt RHD icetime for development)

Matheson - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard
Guhle - Reinbacher

if I keep everyone on their side. 3 rookies oof… Only hutson I’d consider “soft” in the group… Xhekaj in ahl for conditionning after another summer of rehab I imagine. I have no idea what Engstrom will bring for example…

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Mailloux

? poor Guhle on the wrong side there…

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What does grind the young guys even mean?

If it's play them more then the vets, that's pretty much already happened at forward where our top guys in ice time were Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Slafkovsky, Newhook. And Dach is no doubt going to replace Monahan on that list.

On D sure there's more of a case, but we only have 2 vets to begin with so even if they are overplayed there's still plenty of ice time going to the young guys. It's only really special teams where there's just not a lot of ice time being given to the young guys.
It means lean on them to be more than what they currently are. Less teaching, more expectations. Doesn't mean the learner curve stops, it just means it's time for some younger guys to pull up their pants and take charge. It's their time to make their mark. Suzy is already there but guys like Cole, Kirby, Alex, Kaiden, etc...time to establish themselves as full on leaders. Just my take

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I doubt they sign any D from ufa (Hughes specifically called out not wanting to hurt RHD icetime for development)

Matheson - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard
Guhle - Reinbacher

if I keep everyone on their side. 3 rookies oof… Only hutson I’d consider “soft” in the group… Xhekaj in ahl for conditionning after another summer of rehab I imagine. I have no idea what Engstrom will bring for example…

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Mailloux

Can't see all of Mailloux, Hutson or Reinbacher making it off the hop. Maybe 1 of them

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The biggest addition will be the return of Kirby Dach.

Otherwise I don't want them to do anything in particular. Let's just ride with the pieces we have, including the youngsters in Laval.

We're in great shape here. Especially now that Slaf and Roy proved they were NHLers.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Let's keep the pick and draft a player. If the team does not trust their scouting staff, we have big issues.

Moving up (package with D), I would definitely be open in doing.
Agreed. They will likely keep the pick if they aren't able to make another Newhook/Dach type move.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What we lack upfront is a Kovalev type.

A wizard stickhandler and shooter.

Hopefully we can acquire someone like that to be part of the core.

Imagine adding a 21 years old Kovalev to our group. We'd be in business and ready to contend as they hit their mid-20s.

• Love
Reactions: the

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What does grind the young guys even mean?

If it's play them more then the vets, that's pretty much already happened at forward where our top guys in ice time were Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Slafkovsky, Newhook. And Dach is no doubt going to replace Monahan on that list.

On D sure there's more of a case, but we only have 2 vets to begin with so even if they are overplayed there's still plenty of ice time going to the young guys. It's only really special teams where there's just not a lot of ice time being given to the young guys.
He didn't elaborate on what he meant.

It could be to get them to play more, or be on them more for mistakes, or a bit of both, or even something else entirely.

Friedman is whack at times.

Reactions: Sorinth

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What we lack upfront is a Kovalev type.

A wizard stickhandler and shooter.

Hopefully we can acquire someone like that to be part of the core.

Imagine adding a 21 years old Kovalev to our group. We'd be in business and ready to contend as they hit their mid-20s.
If even available will need to pay a significant price to acquire, whereas the benefit of someone like Stamkos on a short term deal is free acquisition cost except $$$ which are plentiful for next couple of seasons.

Let’s also not forget F prospects will only start entering Laval next season, and will need time to cultivate

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It means lean on them to be more than what they currently are. Less teaching, more expectations. Doesn't mean the learner curve stops, it just means it's time for some younger guys to pull up their pants and take charge. It's their time to make their mark. Suzy is already there but guys like Cole, Kirby, Alex, Kaiden, etc...time to establish themselves as full on leaders. Just my take
Weird term to use but ok. I think people are letting Suzuki overshadow the accomplishments of the other young guys. Like Caufield's 65 points this year is the 6th most productive season in the past 10 years. Slaf set a team record for points by a teenager in a season, Guhle has been a top pairing guy since day 1 which is super impressive but because there isn't a lot of flash in his game analysis like Friedman's there overlooks it.

Personally I think the young guys have already taken on leadership roles and set the tone for the locker room/team culture. There's been plenty written about how the young guys are driven and putting in extra work or Caufield's contributions to a positive atmosphere in the room, etc...

Expectations will certainly be higher for all of them all but it's not like there were expectations on the vets that have now shifted to the young guys. It's always been on the shoulders of the young guys.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

Matheson - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard
Guhle - Reinbacher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Mailloux

Hmmm, I disagree Xhekaj will start in Laval but with so many guys it's very hard to predict.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Weird term to use but ok. I think people are letting Suzuki overshadow the accomplishments of the other young guys. Like Caufield's 65 points this year is the 6th most productive season in the past 10 years. Slaf set a team record for points by a teenager in a season, Guhle has been a top pairing guy since day 1 which is super impressive but because there isn't a lot of flash in his game analysis like Friedman's there overlooks it.

Personally I think the young guys have already taken on leadership roles and set the tone for the locker room/team culture. There's been plenty written about how the young guys are driven and putting in extra work or Caufield's contributions to a positive atmosphere in the room, etc...

Expectations will certainly be higher for all of them all but it's not like there were expectations on the vets that have now shifted to the young guys. It's always been on the shoulders of the young guys.
Nothing has been overshadowed imo. All those guys you mentioned had solid years. What they are wanting is even more, the next step in the team progression....on ice, off ice, at practice, on the road.... Becoming the new Savard's, the Gally's, etc.... The transition period is now in terms of where we're going to be in the future.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If we don’t trade any d-man to make room. Expect Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and Struble doing the yo-yo between Laval and Montreal. They won’t risk loosing anybody else to waiver.

That would suck. But if it was me, Matheson would be traded and Harris too. Get some offence.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Nothing has been overshadowed imo. All those guys you mentioned had solid years. What they are wanting is even more, the next step in the team progression....on ice, off ice, at practice, on the road.... Becoming the new Savard's, the Gally's, etc.... The transition period is now in terms of where we're going to be in the future.
If the argument is that to date only Suzuki has taken on a leadership role to date then that's just plain wrong. Whether it's overshadowed or not is irrelevant, the young guys have already taken a leadership role, and sorry but becoming the new Savard/Gallagher isn't what we should want from them.

The original argument was that we would start to shift from "grinding" the vets to "grinding" the young guys which is nonsense because we've never relied on the vets. We've always relied on the young guys to carry this team, all that's changing is expectations are rising. That's not a shift.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No?

I think he starts in the NHL...

Not sure how you got that from my post.

The poster I was replying to had him in the AHL.

@WeThreeKings didn't get that either?

It read to me like you didn't agree with him being in the AHL but you qualified it by saying it's hard to predict. Xhekaj can't be in the AHL, so he would have to be traded which is not happening.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Matheson - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard
Guhle - Reinbacher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Mailloux

That defense would be way too weak defensively though. I think past 2025 if Hutson and Mailloux develop well KH will have to trade Matheson and make room for Xhekaj (providing he develops) or a defensive vet. Reinbacher will eventually replace Savard on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On the D I expect to see:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron/Struble rotation

Harris and maybe Kovacevic gone. Harris almost has to go at this point, Kovy can stay for depth if needed.

Reinbacher and Mailloux start in AHL. Barron is waiver eligible so he makes it by default.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1713636935004.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad