Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Respectfully, I don't know if I could disagree with both of these takes more.

This is a video of every throw and run that JJ MCCarthy made this year:

When I watch this, I see a QB with plus arm strength, plus accuracy to the short and intermediate levels, plus athleticism, excellent pocket presence, and good decision-making.

Drake Maye might have a couple more "wow" throws on his film, but he's also got WAY more plays that make you say "What the f*** was THAT?!?!?!!" He's not close to being an NFL starter. He's got so much to work on. There's every chance that a few years from now, his career looks a lot like Trey Lance's

My worry is the competition JJ played against this year and the amount of reps he has.

Aside from the national championship against Alabama

10 games vs non ranked teams

4 games against ranked teams

19 total tds thrown for the season

• 18 against non ranked teams
  • 1 against ranked teams

Ave yds per game against ranked teams = 124

He was sheltered in those games with a superior running game

Draft Maye and call it a day.

Reactions: HustleB

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
See, they’re both complicit and both have used the media to play spin games on players leaving so Bill should have expected this. Look at how Bill did Brady dirty on his way out. He had shit leaked about the guy being a diva and a pita. And I’m not sayi bc Brady wasn’t. Just that Kraft doing it to Bill is hilarious since he did this all the time himself. Kind of funny how it wasn’t an issue before but now that the shoe is on the other foot, it’s not cool. So nah, f*** you Bill. You got what you deserved and nobody feels bad for you since you were a dick to many players like this yourself. Kraft getting blowback for the smear job is great. No victims here, just a bunch of assholes on both sides.

At the end of the day, Bob is the owner. If he didn't like how Bill was doing things - he could have fired him at any time. To then come out and complain about how he did things makes him look like a clown.

Like it or not Bob has made Bill a sympathetic figure to some point, with his 'Dynasty' nonsense and all this other stuff. Personally, I'd love to see Bill defend himself and really make it a pissing contest.

Bob should just worry about his new coach and spending some money on the football team instead of having to have the last word like a little kid.

Reactions: Kate08 and LSCII

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
My worry is the competition JJ played against this year and the amount of reps he has.

Aside from the national championship against Alabama

10 games vs non ranked teams

4 games against ranked teams

19 total tds thrown for the season

• 18 against non ranked teams
  • 1 against ranked teams

Ave yds per game against ranked teams = 124

He was sheltered in those games with a superior running game

Draft Maye and call it a day.

I'm not sure which guy will be better and while I'm making no direct comparisons to them, the Maye/JJ debate reminds me a little of the early days of the Manning/Brady rivalry over what's more important, talent or intangibles? I'm more of a passive football fan so I don't follow this as closely as some others. But I think with drafting in any sport, you're looking at the body of work as well as the other things that would indicate that he has a strong chance to develop the right way.

IMO talent can drag a lesser team into the fight while an intangibles guys depends upon using the tools around him at a high rate in key situations. I don't think the Pats have the tools to support a QB like JJ to properly develop him during the key initial years while Maye has a stronger chance to maintain his talent while developing his intangibles as the team around him gets better. While I like the idea of JJ, I think the Patriots need a QB like Maye more.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Because you gain NOTHING by saying it, but you might piss off the player you draft at 3 if you don't trade the pick.
Don’t see how that would piss anybody off and if it does then quite frankly they made an awful pick and that guys not gonna make it in this market

He basically just stated the obvious

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don’t see how that would piss anybody off and if it does then quite frankly they made an awful pick and that guys not gonna make it in this market

"Yeah, we were totally open to trading the pick, but no one gave us an offer we wanted to we took you. Definitely thrilled about it."

Yeah, that's what I want to hear from the franchise that just drafted me to be their quarterback. Great foot to get off on.

By the way, as I said, it "might" piss off the player you pick, not that it will. But what a comment like that won't do is anything good. It's literally a pointless thing to say. Literally pointless. So why say it at all when there's no upside, only downside?

Pats organization feels like total amateur hour since they fired Belichick, from the owner to the de facto GM to the head coach.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
"Yeah, we were totally open to trading the pick, but no one gave us an offer we wanted to we took you. Definitely thrilled about it."

Yeah, that's what I want to hear from the franchise that just drafted me to be their quarterback. Great foot to get off on.

By the way, as I said, it "might" piss off the player you pick, not that it will. But what a comment like that won't do is anything good. It's literally a pointless thing to say. Literally pointless. So why say it at all when there's no upside, only downside?

Pats organization feels like total amateur hour since they fired Belichick, from the owner to the de facto GM to the head coach.
i think you’re reading way too much into an obvious/innocuous statement, just my opinion tho. It doesn’t hurt them or help them in anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorMike

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
i think you’re reading way too much into an obvious/innocuous statement, just my opinion tho. It doesn’t hurt them or help them in anyway.

If this were a single needless statement I might have just rolled my eyes, but I think it's just the latest example of this new regime being incapable of shutting the f*** up. My tolerance for their dumb comments is now nil.

Didn't the Cardinals also use the term "open for business" in regards to possibly dealing the #4 overall pick?

You mean the well-oiled machine known as the Arizona Cardinals?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
You mean the well-oiled machine known as the Arizona Cardinals?

"Absolutely. Always open for business. You never want to limit yourself. I've always been open-minded when it comes to the draft. ... Every team and every individual has a different philosophy. 'We're not gonna trade, we're always going to pick, we're not going to move.' I think we're a little bit more open-minded, progressive thinking, move up and down. And it's not just move to move."

"You are always open for business," Baalke, entering his second year as the Jaguars' general manager, said Tuesday during the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine in downtown Indianapolis. "Now, whether we're going to be able to move it or not [we don't know], but we're very comfortable taking the pick as well."

"We’re open for business in every round," Eagles executive vice president for football operations Howie Roseman said Thursday. "If we think it makes sense for our team, we’re going to do it. But at the same time ... we’re ready to pick. We’ve got 32 guys that we feel really good about.

"We're always open for business," Carthon said. "All the guys, you've got my number. Call me. It's always about being open to trying to continue to add value. We'll listen and field every call and see what comes from it."

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

"Absolutely. Always open for business. You never want to limit yourself. I've always been open-minded when it comes to the draft. ... Every team and every individual has a different philosophy. 'We're not gonna trade, we're always going to pick, we're not going to move.' I think we're a little bit more open-minded, progressive thinking, move up and down. And it's not just move to move."

"You are always open for business," Baalke, entering his second year as the Jaguars' general manager, said Tuesday during the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine in downtown Indianapolis. "Now, whether we're going to be able to move it or not [we don't know], but we're very comfortable taking the pick as well."

"We’re open for business in every round," Eagles executive vice president for football operations Howie Roseman said Thursday. "If we think it makes sense for our team, we’re going to do it. But at the same time ... we’re ready to pick. We’ve got 32 guys that we feel really good about.

"We're always open for business," Carthon said. "All the guys, you've got my number. Call me. It's always about being open to trying to continue to add value. We'll listen and field every call and see what comes from it."

Were any of them potentially taking a franchise QB at 3 when they said this? Context matters.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
McCarthy isn’t a guy you take at 3, sorry he just isn’t. He hasn’t shown the pure talent, doesn’t have the upside and has not demonstrated anything to justify it. The only way I am ok with taking him is if they trade down a few spots to accumulate multiple additional 1sts and other high picks. Taking him outright at 3 should get everyone fired no questions asked.

I have actually been hoping lately we go the Redskins route when they took RGIII and Cousins. That other guy could be Rattler in round 3, especially if they pick up multiple additional picks. Getting a quality QB is too important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad