Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't think he'll say anything (at least for a long time), but my bet is Belichick won't return to Foxboro or do any team events and he'll let his obvious absence do all the talking.

Reactions: CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I don't think he'll say anything (at least for a long time), but my bet is Belichick won't return to Foxboro or do any team events and he'll let his obvious absence do all the talking.
After that horrendous "documentary", I don't blame him.

Yes. It was time for him to go, as all coaches have expiration date.

But the stuff that has been said, and players tricked to talk about...the smear campaign was something I didn't expect. And however one feels about Bill, you cant deny what he brought here. It was unnecessary.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Quite the tour de force Krafty Bob's done destroying his reputation in the last 5 years (though you can probably take it back to the death of his wife)

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Maye easily has the better raw tools. For that reason alone he's got a higher floor than McCarthy.
I would say that having better raw tools means that Maye has a higher ceiling, not a higher floor.

I see Maye as a huge boom or bust pick. Four years from now, I think he'll either be a Pro Bowler, or a guy you trade to an NFC team for a 6th-round pick.

I actually think McCarthy has the higher floor. B+ raw tools with A+ intangibles. You just have to be comfortable with using the 3rd pick on a guy who's likely never going to be on a level with someone like Mahomes or Lamar Jackson or good Josh Allen. He's more of a Baker Mayfield or Kirk Cousins or Brock Purdy type. He probably won't ever been good enough to carry your team, but he's someone I think coaches will look at and think "I can win with that."

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I would say that having better raw tools means that Maye has a higher ceiling, not a higher floor.

I see Maye as a huge boom or bust pick. Four years from now, I think he'll either be a Pro Bowler, or a guy you trade to an NFC team for a 6th-round pick.

I actually think McCarthy has the higher floor. B+ raw tools with A+ intangibles. You just have to be comfortable with using the 3rd pick on a guy who's likely never going to be on a level with someone like Mahomes or Lamar Jackson or good Josh Allen. He's more of a Baker Mayfield or Kirk Cousins or Brock Purdy type. He probably won't ever been good enough to carry your team, but he's someone I think coaches will look at and think "I can win with that."

I think McCarthy has the higher floor with good pieces on offense. This team does not have that.

Reactions: Mione134

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

We disagree on this, but doesn't mean I'm right. You certainly aren't talking out of your ass or anything. You might be dead on. Only thing I'll quibble with is saying McCarthy has B+ raw tools. I think that's really generous.

And even if I agreed with your assessments entirely I would much much much rather take a chance on Maye's potential at 3 overall than I would for a QB with a Brock Purdy/Baker Mayfield/Kirk Cousins ceiling.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I think their respective floors are right about even Steven. I'd put it at "decent backup QB."

Thing is, I think McCarthy's ceiling is "pretty good backup QB". Which isn't far off from drafting a kicker. Not a position I'd want to draft and develop. These guys are available in free agency or as cheap trade acquisitions all the time.

With Maye, I think the potential is there for a less erratic Josh Allen. Perhaps not the highs of Allen at his best, but I think he could avoid the dregs of Allen at his worst. I think Maye may have the promise of making his receivers better and utilizing the entire field.

To me, there's no contest. This chatter about McCarthy even being in this conversation is stunning.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
My hope is that the Patriots are primarily concerned with drafting the player who will be the best QB for the next 10+ years, and not give two craps about which QB would work best throwing to KJ Osborn and Juju Smith-Schuster.
Ten years not likely. This team could go through three new head coaches and even bigger scoreboards and lighthouses by then. Those Commanders could still draft Maye at number two and our Patsies trade out and go different rebuild route. I'm looking for quarterback who can run offence and distribute football for now.

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Thing is, I think McCarthy's ceiling is "pretty good backup QB". Which isn't far off from drafting a kicker. Not a position I'd want to draft and develop. These guys are available in free agency or as cheap trade acquisitions all the time.

With Maye, I think the potential is there for a less erratic Josh Allen. Perhaps not the highs of Allen at his best, but I think he could avoid the dregs of Allen at his worst. I think Maye may have the promise of making his receivers better and utilizing the entire field.
Respectfully, I don't know if I could disagree with both of these takes more.

This is a video of every throw and run that JJ MCCarthy made this year:

When I watch this, I see a QB with plus arm strength, plus accuracy to the short and intermediate levels, plus athleticism, excellent pocket presence, and good decision-making.

Drake Maye might have a couple more "wow" throws on his film, but he's also got WAY more plays that make you say "What the f*** was THAT?!?!?!!" He's not close to being an NFL starter. He's got so much to work on. There's every chance that a few years from now, his career looks a lot like Trey Lance's

Last edited:

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I'll say first that i prefer Drake Maye but if they think Maye's weaknesses aren't easy to fix then i can live with McCarthy at 3 even if Maye is still on the board. McCarthy is both athletic and has a good arm, and while him having games where he wasn't asked to throw a lot isn't a positive for him, it's not his fault Jim Harbaugh likes to run the ball down someones throat. Look at who he chose to be his oc with the Chargers.

If you had the guarantee that at #3 you could draft a more athletic and stronger armed version of Brock Purdy, would you take that qb because that's what i think McCarthy can be. The only thing i don't like about McCarthy is he looks perfect for the asshole rival qb role on a football show, or a Zach Wilson doppelganger.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Man this is so good.

I think it's insane for anyone to prefer McCarthy over Daniels. Both have bust potential, but only one has Pro Bowl potential.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Man this is so good.

I think it's insane for anyone to prefer McCarthy over Daniels. Both have bust potential, but only one has Pro Bowl potential.

The Kirk Cousins comp is interesting. I seem to recall a certain QB taken #15 a few years ago with the same comp...(excluding the spritely part)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s really amusing to me that folks are picking a side in the Bill vs Bob argument. Is Kraft smearing Bill? Absolutely, not even a question. Just like Bill did to so many players over the years when he was done with them. So to me it’s all relative and karma. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Now as far as the smearing of Belichick, while you can certainly say it’s unseemly that doesn’t make what’s coming out false. Bill is a prick, is arrogant, does want total control over things, and isn’t a guy that cares to answer to anyone. He was condescending to the Krafts, the staff, the players, the fans, and the media.so like I said above, you reap what you sow. 24 years of being an asshole to everyone has repercussions.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It’s really amusing to me that folks are picking a side in the Bill vs Bob argument. Is Kraft smearing Bill? Absolutely, not even a question. Just like Bill did to so many players over the years when he was done with them. So to me it’s all relative and karma. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Now as far as the smearing of Belichick, while you can certainly say it’s unseemly that doesn’t make what’s coming out false. Bill is a prick, is arrogant, does want total control over things, and isn’t a guy that cares to answer to anyone. He was condescending to the Krafts, the staff, the players, the fans, and the media.so like I said above, you reap what you sow. 24 years of being an asshole to everyone has repercussions.
Amusing to me is you come in here telling people it is amusing that people are picking a side and then you proceed to pick a side. :laugh:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1713442573750.png

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I guess the difference is, Kraft knew what Belichick was and had no problem with it for 24 years, so when it was benefiting him it was all good.

Listening to Kraft act like he's some kind of victim is puke inducing.

Bob wanted Bill, he went out and traded for him. I'm sure by that point it was obvious who Bill was as a coach/person.

So Bob should just STFU like Bill has chosen to do, as I'm sure he has no stories that would make Bob and Jonathan look like clowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I guess the difference is, Kraft knew what Belichick was and had no problem with it for 24 years, so when it was benefiting him it was all good.

Sort of makes sense if you think about it. Guy has been a total f***ing dickhead ever since he couldn't get a massage at a Florida strip mall.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I think even the most loyal Belichick defenders can admit that he seems like an arrogant, pain in the ass at times who isn't always easy to work with. The last four months though feel dirty from Kraft and make him seem unappreciative of someone who was a big part of 6 super bowls and making his team one of the most valuable in sports. I don't think owners should be in the hall of fame anyway but it's the kind of thing that makes me want him to not get in just that little bit more.

Parcells still has some bitterness there with Kraft, Carroll thinks he's a cheap ass and if Belichick actually feels like he has cost him another head coaching job, i can't imagine that's a relationship that will get fixed anytime soon. While Kraft is bragging about what great coaches he's had as owner, none of them might like him.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Bert Breer: "I just really think Drake Maye is going #3 overall, whether it's to New England, the Giants, or Minnesota."

He also said that he wasn't sure the Giants wanted to pay New England's asking price to move from #6 to #3.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Bob wanted Bill, he went out and traded for him. I'm sure by that point it was obvious who Bill was as a coach/person.

So Bob should just STFU like Bill has chosen to do, as I'm sure he has no stories that would make Bob and Jonathan look like clowns.
See, they’re both complicit and both have used the media to play spin games on players leaving so Bill should have expected this. Look at how Bill did Brady dirty on his way out. He had shit leaked about the guy being a diva and a pita. And I’m not sayi bc Brady wasn’t. Just that Kraft doing it to Bill is hilarious since he did this all the time himself. Kind of funny how it wasn’t an issue before but now that the shoe is on the other foot, it’s not cool. So nah, f*** you Bill. You got what you deserved and nobody feels bad for you since you were a dick to many players like this yourself. Kraft getting blowback for the smear job is great. No victims here, just a bunch of assholes on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad