GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Only 1 hour? That's not enough time to do enough. Should of been another 8 hours earlier
stressed-businessman-with-wide-eyes-looking-frightened.jpg

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Shouldn't the balls be rolling right now actually? Its even more stressful knowing Sheng is watching, knowing, and were in the dark. Leak an emoji Sheng! Send it by pigeon.
I believe in one minute

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Are y’all seriously gonna watch his live? I’d have a cardiac event. I’m gonna lock my phone up and go for a half hour walk. I’ll find out when I find out.

You want to be in public when you find out?

"A 5-car pileup occurred this evening when a random pedestrian was seen screaming profanity and hurling their phone into traffic, striking a car's windshield and setting off what one witness called 'a chain of events that would put Rube Goldberg to shame'. We'll have more at 11."

so its done, we are either really happy, angry or meh. We just dont know it yet.

Schroedinger's fandom.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Kind of in the same boat, getting Celebrini is obviously nice and needed. But having the chance at McKenna and Hagens would be nice also.
Celebrini is the best non-Bedard prospect since at least Dahlin, arguably since Matthews. There's absolutely no guarantee we'll be saying the same thing about those other guys in their draft years. Bird in the hand vs. two in the bush, etc.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You want to be in public when you find out?

"A 5-car pileup occurred this evening when a random pedestrian was seen screaming profanity and hurling their phone into traffic, striking a car's windshield and setting off what one witness called 'a chain of events that would put Rube Goldberg to shame'. We'll have more at 11."

Schroedinger's fandom.
No no no no, I’ll find out when I get back home and load up twitter. I just can’t take the tension of refreshing various sites over and over again. Or watching it live.

I nearly had a heart attack when I watched the Owen Power lottery live. And the stakes were nowhere near as high then.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Let's hope Sheng is doing a little celebration right now inside the room. He is probably going through a lot of ideas to write about as we speak.

Reactions: drunksage

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
But it doesn't disincentivize it, that's the whole thing. The Sharks literally had one of the worst seasons in NHL history because of the potential to draft a guy like Celebrini. Drafting high, and especially getting the 1st pick, is worth any chance that they may not get it, no matter the odds.
Right, but, if the lottery was even flatter, e.g., all of the bottom ten teams have exactly the same odds, then there would be no management incentive to tank within those spots. The flatter the lottery the less incentive there is to tank.

Not saying that you've said this at all, nor am I assuming your take --- but, I have seen an argument several times on HFBoards that removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank, when the opposite is true.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Right, but, if the lottery was even flatter, e.g., all of the bottom ten teams have exactly the same odds, then there would be no management incentive to tank within those spots. The flatter the lottery the less incentive there is to tank.

Not saying that you've said this at all, nor am I assuming your take --- but, I have seen an argument several times on HFBoards that removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank, when the opposite is true.
It's not that removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank, but that convoluted ways to try to prevent tanking don't actually solve anything because a cap league requires tanking for a team to become successful.

Reactions: Cas and Sandisfan

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
It's not that removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank, but that convoluted ways to try to prevent tanking don't actually solve anything because a cap league requires tanking for a team to become successful.
I agree! I think the choice of "completely flat lottery" versus "deterministic reverse standings" is a spectrum, and any choice along that spectrum (including our current choice) has different trade-offs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Teams would still tank, it would just widen the field of teams that would try.

Also the more you flatten the lottery odds the more you defeat the purpose of intending worse teams to get higher picks. Instead of rebuilds lasting 3 or 4 years as teams sit at the bottom enough to accumulate a good core of high picks, teams would be stuck on a treadmill for longer hoping and wishing that maybe eventually they fluke into winning the lottery and getting the kind of player that can change their franchise or hoping that maybe the draft gods smile on them and one of the kids they pick at 7th-10th every year ends up happening to be one of the steals of the draft.

Reactions: Pavelski2112
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier