GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Honestly taking the Sharks out of it for a minute it really feels like they have overthought the current lottery format.

Like the most likely thing happening for the worst team is to drop two spots. It being a possibility, ok I could get behind that - but it being the most likely outcome is a little strange.

Like there is no universe the Penguins pick say 9th for example either. Either they move up 10 or 9 spots, stay the same, or drop 1 or 2 spots. Just seems wierd.

Reactions: Sandisfan

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
GM_SOWvbEAAHFEI.png

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I hate to sound like a broken record, but anything that's not reverse standings order is overthinking it
I dont like pure reverse standing because of the division/conference's produce unequal schedules.

Ill still state either a 25% lottery across the 4 divisions or a 50% lottery across the two conferences. After that, points.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I dont like pure reverse standing because of the division/conference's produce unequal schedules.

Ill still state either a 25% lottery across the 4 divisions or a 50% lottery across the two conferences. After that, points.
I don't disagree but I think any sort of lottery overcorrects those discrepancies

Reactions: Cas

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I feel like a lottery win should only allow like a move of 5 spots. Or a significant increase in the odds for the bottom 5 teams. Like 80% for 1OA for last seed
The current construction of the lottery makes rebuilding take longer; it needs to be simplified. The NHL overcorrected on its "anti-tank" belief. If you want to limit the #1 pick to X number of times over a certain time frame, I think thats reasonable but really, make it simple.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The current construction of the lottery makes rebuilding take longer; it needs to be simplified. The NHL overcorrected on its "anti-tank" belief. If you want to limit the #1 pick to X number of times over a certain time frame, I think thats reasonable but really, make it simple.
This is probably the best compromise - don't have a lottery, but have the limit on how many times a team can keep the #1OA. You could even make it top-3 if you think it's that big of a problem.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The draft lottery is dumb just based on how hard it is to understand as a fan. There is way to much "If X, then Y"

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't think the draft lottery is that complicated, and I do think it's a good thing to have to disincentive tanking. Frankly, I would make it even flatter.

That being said, I am well aware this statement dooms the sharks this evening. My apologies.

Hawks win

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Ya’ll watching it on TV or just waiting for the posts to come on here or X? I can’t decide. Watched it on TV last year but I’m way more nervous this time around.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I don't think the draft lottery is that complicated, and I do think it's a good thing to have to disincentive tanking. Frankly, I would make it even flatter.

That being said, I am well aware this statement dooms the sharks this evening. My apologies.

Hawks win
But it doesn't disincentivize it, that's the whole thing. The Sharks literally had one of the worst seasons in NHL history because of the potential to draft a guy like Celebrini. Drafting high, and especially getting the 1st pick, is worth any chance that they may not get it, no matter the odds.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I would take this over Chicago getting Celebrini. When we don’t get first, dropping down to three isn’t that bad as 2-whatever are the same tier.

As long as Chicago or Anaheim don’t win, I don’t care who wins it besides us.
yeah I would perfer it, also would stop Chicago winning next years lottery still as second place still counts for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad