GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Does this count as winning so Shorks can only get #1 once more in the next 5 years?
It does not. We can still move up two more times. This is a common misconception. The rule states:

> No single team can advance in the draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two times in any five-year period.

We did not advance in the draft order.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
This still doesn’t feel real. Without hyperbole, this might have saved hockey in the Bay. Not to put too much pressure on Macklin, but that’s what this means to the franchise.

That does sound like hyperbole, especially considering the lengths Bettman went to try to save the Coyotes in AZ over the year, he would do 10x more to keep the Sharks in the Bay. That said, Mackdaddy does mean a ton to this franchise.

For me, and I think all of you, the excitement level for this offseason and next season is off the charts. I probably haven't been this excited for the offseason and next season since the Marleau draft.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Celebrini will pretty much guaranteed to play next year. I hope he'll score tons of beautiful goals with the Sharks still end up dead last again due to now D and no Goalie. If Grier is smart, he won't sign any old goalie this offseason and keep our goalies where they are to tank effectively next year.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
So now that our #1 pick is a lock, the attention shifts to our 14th pick. As a rebuilding team, you should always pick the best available prospect. But we also need a D. Who are you all rooting for at 14th for us? Would you trade up?
I would want one of Levshunov (hahaha), Silayev, Buium, Dickenson, or Perekh (Yak has good size too, but I dont love him). I would be willing to trade up to grab one of those. Dickinson, Levshunov, and Silayev all have NHL size already. Perekh and Buium might need to add a bit of muscle, but I don't know how soon those guys could step in. Might be sooner than 3-4 years. I remember pickles made the team at 19 and never looked back.

I think the sharks will watch the first 8 or 9 picks and see how the chips fall. If there are a few "out of the box" picks, then you make a move to snatch a potential top 10 talent (kinda like COL did when the sharks picked Meier over a higher ranked Rantanen), or like the sharks swooped in to trade from #13 to #9 to grab cooch, who woulda been a top 3 pick if not for a bout of mono.

You gotta see whats on the board around #9ish to make that call. the sharks could also keey #14 but package the 33rd and 43rd to move into the early 20's if a good target remains there too. 3 good first round picks is a delicious concept.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That does sound like hyperbole, especially considering the lengths Bettman went to try to save the Coyotes in AZ over the year, he would do 10x more to keep the Sharks in the Bay. That said, Mackdaddy does mean a ton to this franchise.

For me, and I think all of you, the excitement level for this offseason and next season is off the charts. I probably haven't been this excited for the offseason and next season since the Marleau draft.
Bettmann fought hard for Arizona because they came into the league during his term.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Celebrini will pretty much guaranteed to play next year. I hope he'll score tons of beautiful goals with the Sharks still end up dead last again due to now D and no Goalie. If Grier is smart, he won't sign any old goalie this offseason and keep our goalies where they are to tank effectively next year.
No more tanking. The fan base cant take it, and its very hard to turn a losing culture around unless you get a chance to start from scratch.

This summer is that chance. A new coach. two of the top prospects in all of hockey. 40M in cap space. The sharks have a chance to completely and totally revamp the entire franchise. If they tank again, it will be an epic failure. I see no reason they cannot make a real concerted run for the playoffs again. This is the summer Grier has been prepping for. He got his wish in mack. He also dumped 20+M in burns, hertl and karlsson deals. It's go time...

He has to know that the D is lacking. While im bummed that hanifin got signed, there are solid NHL D out there, and one or two top 4 Dmen would fully revolutionize the back end. On July 2nd, I sure hope Im looking at a really solid roster.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
i-want-you-to-get-the-word-out-there-that-we-back-up-the-wire.gif

Jul 10, 2010
No more tanking. The fan base cant take it, and its very hard to turn a losing culture around unless you get a chance to start from scratch.

This summer is that chance. A new coach. two of the top prospects in all of hockey. 40M in cap space. The sharks have a chance to completely and totally revamp the entire franchise. If they tank again, it will be an epic failure. I see no reason they cannot make a real concerted run for the playoffs again. This is the summer Grier has been prepping for. He got his wish in mack. He also dumped 20+M in burns, hertl and karlsson deals. It's go time...

He has to know that the D is lacking. While im bummed that hanifin got signed, there are solid NHL D out there, and one or two top 4 Dmen would fully revolutionize the back end. On July 2nd, I sure hope Im looking at a really solid roster.
one or two? I think we'd need 6. Mayube 5 if you think Thurn is adequate. Especially without having a top level guy.

The Leafs need one or two. We need a full D corps

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I don't know what to tell you. We're still gonna suck next year even with Celebrini and possibly Smith.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm thanking my lucky stars and the Hockey Gods that Quinn is gone. I don't want Quinn anywhere near Mackdaddy and The Slapper.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
BTW, I wonder how close Pohlcamp, Cagnoni and Havelid are. Pohlcamp was very good in world juniors for USA. Wonder if he gets a training camp look as he has reasonable size.

Cagnoni and hav are undersized a bit, but Cagnoni just had a monster year. Havelid was playing vs. men in SHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
BTW, I wonder how close Pohlcamp, Cagnoni and Havelid are. Pohlcamp was very good in world juniors for USA. Wonder if he gets a training camp look as he has reasonable size.

Cagnoni and hav are undersized a bit, but Cagnoni just had a monster year. Havelid was playing vs. men in SHL.
None of those guys are remotely NHL ready. Heck, I’d say the odds that even one of them becomes a long-term bottom pairing defenseman is 50/50 at best.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I don't know what to tell you. We're still gonna suck next year even with Celebrini and possibly Smith.
How do you know? I would agree that the current roster, as is, even with smith and mack would be weak. But 40M in cap space is a HUGE number. I mean, 5M is usually enough to grab a top 4 dman or a middle 6 forward. 7M gets a top pairing D or top line forward.

So if Grier is wise and gets quality for his money, its fair to expect 2 top 4D, and 2 top 6 forwards to be signed this summer, even if they average 7-8M per. Thats a pretty huge difference.

I dont think we need 6 new D. A good Dman can play 23-25 mins/gm. So really you only need 4. Your bottom pair can be hidden for 12-14 mins a game.

No matter what, we arent gunna have a cup winning roster (unless Mack and Smith go off the rails). But, we should have a middle of the pack with good signings and a good coach. Another year like one would be shockingly bad.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

I agree. Buy Vlasic out. Acquire Orlov and Marchment as cap dumps for free or negligible cost, get the Rangers to attach picks to Goodrow, sign Matt Roy or a similar defenseman for 5.5x5, sign Will Carrier and Okposo or similar vet forwards.

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Marchment - Celebrini - Smith
Kostin - Sturm - Kunin
Carrier - Goodrow - Okposo
Zadina

Orlov - Roy
Ferraro - Benning
Thrun - Rutta
Mukhamadullin - Emberson

Blackwood
Vanecek

I think that team could be competitive and potentially in the playoff mix if Couture is somehow healthy.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I'm waiting for Couture's retirement announcement. What happens if that happens financially? Would that be good news for the Sharks?
I doub tthis. He'd be walking away from like $40M!!! However, he may be like seabrook or others who are on forever LTIR. there is cap relief from that durin the year, but not sure over the summer. Does anyone know the rules for cap relief from forever LTIR players?

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How do you know? I would agree that the current roster, as is, even with smith and mack would be weak. But 40M in cap space is a HUGE number. I mean, 5M is usually enough to grab a top 4 dman or a middle 6 forward. 7M gets a top pairing D or top line forward.

So if Grier is wise and gets quality for his money, its fair to expect 2 top 4D, and 2 top 6 forwards to be signed this summer, even if they average 7-8M per. Thats a pretty huge difference.

I dont think we need 6 new D. A good Dman can play 23-25 mins/gm. So really you only need 4. Your bottom pair can be hidden for 12-14 mins a game.

No matter what, we arent gunna have a cup winning roster (unless Mack and Smith go off the rails). But, we should have a middle of the pack with good signings and a good coach. Another year like one would be shockingly bad.

This team is not ready to spend to the cap on pricey free agents, nor do I expect that most needle-moving FAs will want to come to the Sharks yet except on overpays.

Historically teams don't generally jump from being bottom-of-the-league terrible to great in 1 year with anywhere near enough regularity to suggest that it's a workable path. And this team wasn't just bad, they were all-time-depths-of-awfulness bad.

Besides, the point of the rebuild is to accrue a core of cost-controlled young talent. The Sharks are in a good spot now but ideally they probably need another solid pick or two to really solidify that, which means it's more reasonable to expect them to stay the course right now, ride out Vlasic's deal, wait for Couture probably going on LTIR and clear the deck so that they can spend when they're on the way up rather than spending to try and jump the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad