2024 NHL Playoffs Around the League

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The team has no leadership and no respected winners guiding them. Torts may run thin, but he could get Buffalo to the next level, if they buy into him.
Perhaps, but he just might end up lighting it on fire after 2 years. That would be a risk for a team that's waited so long to get competitive.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Torts seems like he's the focus of attention too much. I think you want a coach who is effective in his job but it isn't about him. So yeah, if you have a bad team that you want to take the focus away from and maybe generate some interest, he'd be a good fit.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It’s just hard for me to accept the team absolutely failing at the end of the year and just pinning it on the coach
I think folks should remember that the Flyers put all their marbles in an extremely talented goalie that hockey canada people (tm) knew was at the very least extremely shady, if not (as is now widely known to be) an alleged rapist. After Hart left, they tried to survive with a couple of meh AHL goalies, and then a Russian with a good but not a Sorokin-Shesterkin level track record just learning the small ice.

Couple that with the reality that Sean Couturier couldn't keep up strong play throughout the season. They've got some exciting wingers, but don't have the centers.

One can't know how much Tortorella used the making it all about himself as an intentional gambit because there is nothing anyone could do about the Hart situation after the fact. (I think Flyers management failed to deal with it proactively, and I find it extremely unlikely they had no inkling what to expect last summer. Perhaps they didn't expect to be competitive at all. Or perhaps there's a reason why Gauthier wanted nothing to do with Flyers management.)

If I were a Flyers fan, I'd want to make sure that anyone in the organization who may have known about the Carter Hart situation is shown the door. And then I'd figure out which people cultivated ignorance, and show them the door. Because there's a compelling case that they've wasted seasons with the demons chasing him. Then worry about getting a center, an emotionally stable coach, and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think folks should remember that the Flyers put all their marbles in an extremely talented goalie that hockey canada people (tm) knew was at the very least extremely shady, if not (as is now widely known to be) an alleged rapist. After Hart left, they tried to survive with a couple of meh AHL goalies, and then a Russian with a good but not a Sorokin-Shesterkin level track record just learning the small ice.

Couple that with the reality that Sean Couturier couldn't keep up strong play throughout the season. They've got some exciting wingers, but don't have the centers.

One can't know how much Tortorella used the making it all about himself as an intentional gambit because there is nothing anyone could do about the Hart situation after the fact. (I think Flyers management failed to deal with it proactively, and I find it extremely unlikely they had no inkling what to expect last summer. Perhaps they didn't expect to be competitive at all. Or perhaps there's a reason why Gauthier wanted nothing to do with Flyers management.)

If I were a Flyers fan, I'd want to make sure that anyone in the organization who may have known about the Carter Hart situation is shown the door. And then I'd figure out which people cultivated ignorance, and show them the door. Because there's a compelling case that they've wasted seasons with the demons chasing him. Then worry about getting a center, an emotionally stable coach, and move on.
That's a good point.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Hart has been running a .906 the past 3 seasons, so, he’s not been some special backbone the team was relying on. He was actually a disappointment since he was supposed to cure PHIs historical goaltending issues.

And so far, the guy has been accused and arrested. His career is over. However, why is it that when a player does something wrong (allegedly) in the NHL, it’s treated way differently by the media and fans, then all of the actual criminal stuff in the NFL, NBA, and MLB?

Reactions: Potvottier

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
And now we get to watch Boston trample the leafs

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Maybe a 20 year rebuild?
Here is a list of all the Sabres coaches post Lindy:
Ron "Garden Gloves" Rolston
Ted Nolan
Dan Bylsma
Phil Housley
Ralph "The Hockey Terrorist" Kreuger
Don Granato

Think you can figure out the problem (all indications are that Kevyn Adams finally has)?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
And now we get to watch Boston trample the leafs
That certainly makes sense but….

Expectations for the Leafs are rather low compared to where they’ve been for the past few years. They’re already down 2-0 tonight but I wouldn’t be surprised if they won one series. Only one.

Edit: Just saw Nylander is out. Can I take back that first part?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
4-0 lead for Boston and Toronto isn't doing much of anything out there.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Here is a list of all the Sabres coaches post Lindy:
Ron "Garden Gloves" Rolston
Ted Nolan
Dan Bylsma
Phil Housley
Ralph "The Hockey Terrorist" Kreuger
Don Granato

Think you can figure out the problem (all indications are that Kevyn Adams finally has)?
Part GM, part coach. Why is the GM hiring unproven or past their expiry date coaches? Why is the GM refusing to add veteran leadership anywhere on the roster? Who starts a college goalie as the starter?

They made a young for young guy swap, probably a situation where you trade that young guy for a more established and veteran player. If players don’t want to play there, then you do what the Isles have to do. Trade for them in season or at the draft. Buffalo has enough assets, they seem to tight on wanting go give up any to advance the cause.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Leafs score early in the third, 4-1. A great shift from them with lots of possession.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Part GM, part coach. Why is the GM hiring unproven or past their expiry date coaches? Why is the GM refusing to add veteran leadership anywhere on the roster? Who starts a college goalie as the starter?

They made a young for young guy swap, probably a situation where you trade that young guy for a more established and veteran player. If players don’t want to play there, then you do what the Isles have to do. Trade for them in season or at the draft. Buffalo has enough assets, they seem to tight on wanting go give up any to advance the cause.
Unfortunately it's very difficult to trade for veteran players when they all have no trade clauses and our team is on every single player's no trade list in the league.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I think Adams is doing a good job in Buffalo. He's only been there a few years so it's hard to judge.

I think he didn't bring in a vet or two, because he knew they were hurting in net, so he decided to bring in his future. Luukkonen and Levi. Let them get experience.

His payroll is low, but he's figuring on giving raises to all their young guns, so good to have some wiggle room.

I believe, depending on how the 'tenders do, they could be in the POs next year.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Florida has come out flying today. I’m seeing no evidence of matinee lackadaisical play

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Sucks there isn’t another game to watch besides this rags garbage. Prolly go watch some This Old House reruns instead

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad