Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

If he is a top 3 pick then that is 3 Canadians in 4 years picked in the top 3 that were developed in the USHL, and more specifically the Chicago Steel. Thats pretty impressive that they have been able to attract some of the best Canadians.

If I was Canadian I would rather go to the USHL and NCAA rather then the CHL. It leaves way more flexibility and allows you to go to the AHL early.

Lets hope we don't continue to be the worst team in the league or be talking about tanking for Macklin next year.

How does the big Dman Skahan look? Kid is local and from the OC.
Jesus thats a big kid. 6'4 205 at age 16. He could easily grow another inch or 2.

Reactions: cheesymc

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
some real nice prospects coming up the next couple years with celebrini in '24, michael misa in '25, and gavin mckenna (who might just be on bedard's level) in '26

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
some real nice prospects coming up the next couple years with celebrini in '24, michael misa in '25, and gavin mckenna (who might just be on bedard's level) in '26
They are cousins, must be a rather exceptional gene pool that they came from.

Reactions: rlstine

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Chicago will be bad enough to have a chance at Misa in 2025, Celebrini in 2024 and Bedard in 2023.

Imagine if Chicago ends up with Bedard and Misa and one of the top2 in 2024.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Chicago will be bad enough to have a chance at Misa in 2025, Celebrini in 2024 and Bedard in 2023.

Imagine if Chicago ends up with Bedard and Misa and one of the top2 in 2024.
I don't think they can pull off that trifecta since I believe a team can only win the lottery twice in 5 years. To get all three players they'd have to win the lottery 3 years in a row. The Ducks have the same odds of doing that BTW.

EDIT: In reviewing the rule, it states that a team can only IMPROVE their draft position twice in a 5 year span. If the Ducks win the lottery today would that count since technically they didn't improve their position. Could they draft 1st this year and then also be eligible to win the lottery in 2024 and 2025? Interesting scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think they can pull off that trifecta since I believe a team can only win the lottery twice in 5 years. To get all three players they'd have to win the lottery 3 years in a row. The Ducks have the same odds of doing that BTW.

EDIT: In reviewing the rule, it states that a team can only IMPROVE their draft position twice in a 5 year span. If the Ducks win the lottery today would that count since technically they didn't improve their position. Could they draft 1st this year and then also be eligible to win the lottery in 2024 and 2025? Interesting scenario.
Thats kinda interesting wording.

That reads like

we can draft 1st this year, and move up to 1st the next 2 years..... but idk if that was intentional or not.

Personally i would prefer the rule to be a team can only have 2 1st overalls in a 5 year span, no matter how they end up at 1st overall.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
No they specifically say "win the lottery".

Two other changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws.

-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.

Although, this does mean the Ducks could pick first and have it not count towards their 2 if the winners are both 12-16.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Thats kinda interesting wording.

That reads like

we can draft 1st this year, and move up to 1st the next 2 years..... but idk if that was intentional or not.

Personally i would prefer the rule to be a team can only have 2 1st overalls in a 5 year span, no matter how they end up at 1st overall.
I'd prefer 1 1st overall and 1 2nd overall maximum in a 5 year (or longer) window. Seeing the same teams at the top of the draft sucks.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
No they specifically say "win the lottery".

Although, this does mean the Ducks could pick first and have it not count towards their 2 if the winners are both 12-16.
That's the summary for the press release. The full rules include the clarification that winning but not moving up doesn't count as one of your two.

Reactions: McDonald19

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Quick question for those that know far more about the draft than I do: since the Ducks technically won one of the lottery draws, does that mean they can win only one more in the next 5 years?

(I know we all think/hope that they won't be a lottery team in 2-3 years, but it would add a little more sting if this were the case).

EDIT:

Looks like this would be the case (bolded quote below)

Two other changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws.

-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Quick question for those that know far more about the draft than I do: since the Ducks technically won one of the lottery draws, does that mean they can win only one more in the next 5 years?

(I know we all think/hope that they won't be a lottery team in 2-3 years, but it would add a little more sting if this were the case).

EDIT:

Looks like this would be the case (bolded quote below)

My understanding is the restriction is if you move up. We moved down even though we won one of the picks.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
With next season 3 Months away, figures the Ducks will likely pick Top 10. So decided to bump this up since the 2023 draft is over.
As a season ticket holder, I hope and pray we are good enough to pick out of the top 10 this season. It felt dirty last season rooting for them to lose. A 20 point improvement over last would be a step in the right direction.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a season ticket holder, I hope and pray we are good enough to pick out of the top 10 this season. It felt dirty last season rooting for them to lose. A 20 point improvement over last would be a step in the right direction.

I am hoping they pick like between 12-14, which means competitive.500 hockey. I don’t think even that’s realistic but I doubt it will be bad as last season. But I do expect a little pain next season.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Yeah idk our defense is still going to be so, so bad which I don’t think there’s any quick fix for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad