Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Did a mock draft with Draft Simulator.

18. Sasha Boisvert, C
50. Justin Poirier, RW
115. Niilopekka Muhonen, LD
147. Tory Pitner, RD
179. Hagen Burrows, RW

I've often been called crazy for doing 7 round NFL mock drafts, but doing it for the NHL draft is another level of dialed into prospects.

It's easier for me to have favorites since I'm a college football junkie and it's so easy to watch a random Big 10 CFB game...how do y'all keep up with all these foreign leagues???

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I've often been called crazy for doing 7 round NFL mock drafts, but doing it for the NHL draft is another level of dialed into prospects.

It's easier for me to have favorites since I'm a college football junkie and it's so easy to watch a random Big 10 CFB game...how do y'all keep up with all these foreign leagues???
I subscribe to Elite Prospects and McKeen's and read up on a ton of players. Don't get to watch as much as I want to since my job can be demanding, but I try to gather as much information as I can.

I love learning about the future players, and really want them all to succeed. Like you, people think I'm nuts for diving deep, but it keeps me busy, and I'm a hockey junkie - so it all works out.

On a non-24-Draft note, one of my family's friend's son recently committed to Harvard - Jesse Orlowsky. Big bodied forward and played for the Gulls, and was on the Select-16 team for Team USA. Also had a stint in Waterloo for a couple of games.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

18. Sasha Boisvert, C
50. Justin Poirier, RW
147. Tory Pitner, RD
179. Hagen Burrows, RW
This is who I got…

(18) Tanner Howe, LW (Gives me Parise vibes)
(50) Alfons Freij, LD
(115) Tanner Adams, RW (Northport boy who plays at Providence, believe he was skipped over last draft)
(147) Lucas Van Vliet, LW
(179) Miroslav Satan, C (6’7”!!! and son of Miro)

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

18. Sasha Boisvert, C
50. Justin Poirier, RW
147. Tory Pitner, RD
179. Hagen Burrows, RW
This is who I got…

(18) Tanner Howe, LW (Gives me Parise vibes)
(50) Alfons Freij, LD
(115) Tanner Adams, RW (Northport boy who plays at Providence, believe he was skipped over last draft)
(147) Lucas Van Vliet, LW
(179) Miroslav Satan, C (6’7”!!! and son of Miro)

Fun stuff.

I think if this team can get either Freij or Poirier with the 2nd rounder, it would be gold.

Very convinced that both will one day be the type of NHLers where people will say, "How did that guy not get selected in the first round?"

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Fun stuff.

I think if this team can get either Freij or Poirier with the 2nd rounder, it would be gold.

Very convinced that both will one day be the type of NHLers where people will say, "How did that guy not get selected in the first round?"

I read a blogger who has Freij in the Top 15

Reactions: Blueston

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I want either a dynamic forward who can drive play or a high end RHD. We have enough foot soldiers and we're chock full of LHD's. Edumacate me on one of those types.

I am really liking Connelly, count me on that train for now. He was a prick when he was younger, big shit. He has dazzling talent so take the swing for the fences. Lou and Roy will shape him right.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I want either a dynamic forward who can drive play or a high end RHD. We have enough foot soldiers and we're chock full of LHD's. Edumacate me on one of those types.

I am really liking Connelly, count me on that train for now. He was a prick when he was younger, big shit. He has dazzling talent so take the swing for the fences. Lou and Roy will shape him right.
In terms of RHD, I REALLY like Carter Yakemchuk. Big boy, with an insane shot, and an edge. Problem is, he probably would've been available had we not made the playoffs. Not sure if he'll be there at 18. That's for another discussion.......

Henry Mews is another solid player who can drive play. Good eye for the puck, but needs work on the defensive end.

And then Adam Jiricek is a very safe option at RHD. Plays the game the right way on both ends of the ice, but needs to get stronger.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
In terms of RHD, I REALLY like Carter Yakemchuk. Big boy, with an insane shot, and an edge. Problem is, he probably would've been available had we not made the playoffs. Not sure if he'll be there at 18. That's for another discussion.......

Henry Mews is another solid player who can drive play. Good eye for the puck, but needs work on the defensive end.

And then Adam Jiricek is a very safe option at RHD. Plays the game the right way on both ends of the ice, but needs to get stronger.

I like Jiricek, but he gets nicked up a lot. I get that he's a bean pole, but it concerns me enough to not want to risk it on such an important pick. Yakemchuk is someone who caught my eye because he's 6'3 and brings offense. A little awkward skating, but he could be a Brent Burns type so someone will take him top-10, there is no one else like him amongst the d-men class.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Initial take:
18. Michael Hage, C
50. Alfons Freij, LD
115. Linus Eriksson, C
147. Ondrej Becher, C
179. Matyas Melovsky, C/RW

Ripe with 2 overagers to finish off Day 2, Islander style.

If Connelly is gone, I'd be perfectly fine with Hage. Don't know anything about any of the other picks. Romani would be another interesting overage option as well.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If Connelly is gone, I'd be perfectly fine with Hage. Don't know anything about any of the other picks. Romani would be another interesting overage option as well.

I admittedly know very little about Romani and Wakley for that matter.

I've kind got a thing for some of the Czech overagers. Saw a lot of Melovsky while checking out Justin Gill and of course, he was an assist machine at the WJC.

Becher is a guy who jumped out at me earlier and then I was really surprised he couldn't make more of an impact in his first WHL season. Hard to tell how much his monster WHL year this year is due to being older than most - or just having made the necessary adjustments.

There are a good handful of overagers of note in this draft and well, we know how much the Isles love to grab at least one.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

18. Sasha Boisvert, C
50. Justin Poirier, RW
147. Tory Pitner, RD
179. Hagen Burrows, RW
I did one, just a solo, and it was weird. Picked Cayden Lindstrom 18th. Like, sure, dude.

Dropped down randomness and team needs. Went twice. Got Boisvert, and then Lindstrom again. lol.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I did one, just a solo, and it was weird. Picked Cayden Lindstrom 18th. Like, sure, dude.

Dropped down randomness and team needs. Went twice. Got Boisvert, and then Lindstrom again. lol.
I did a few without touching the sliders and Tij Iginla was there at 18 multiple times. So unrealistic that I had to re-start.

Now if Ottawa chooses to surrender their 1st this year, that would benefit the Islanders.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ok, now I did a round with the two settings before the draft right smack dab in the middle for both options.

I then just used each pick - as Lou usually does - and asked myself each time, "Who will this scouting likely take here?". I did so leaving out any of the clear no-brainers who won't be there when we pick (i.e. several players like Fibigr and Eriksson are ranked far too low in this simulator).

Also, disappointingly, there are actually quite a few names from players who I'm pretty doggone sure are in heavy consideration this summer and they're not in these rankings whatsoever.

Anyhow, for the fun of it, this is what I came out with:
18. Carter Yakemchuk, D
Catton and Connelly were off the board. Mews was still hanging around. I'd say the Isles wouldn't pass him up as a righty shot Pulock type prospect.

50. Justin Poirier, RW
I had thought of the remaining Team USA players of note here as well as the smaller skill Swedes and Finns (like Zetterberg) that the Isles may very well have taken here under normal circumstances, but am convinced that after all that Gill-watching this past season, they know Poirier has some magical hands and instincts. I'll keep saying it - he's another Caufield. The way he gets things done and pucks in the net, his size will play no role.

115. Tanner Adams, LW
There were players here who I personally like more but no way they'd be skipping out on a Long Island kid who just completed a wonderful pure freshman season at Providence and who is oozing 3-zone hockey sense and a 2nd gear to boot. Stocky build. Plays like he watched lots of Parise tape.

147. Matyas Melovsky, C/RW
Another Justin Gill teammate, Melovsky just knows how to generate offense and push the attack. The skating is the issue but I just think he's got the full look of an overager the Isles could incorporate right away who is going to know how to produce even at the pro level. The WJC and Q playoff production are just too good to ignore after two Q seasons of over a PPG average (playoffs included).

179. Svantje Sjöden, C
Ok, this is where I'd see the team grabbing their Scandic player who not everyone has on the radar. Good size and the oldest first-year eligible kid in the group, thus closer to coming over. Just had a strong but not killer U20 season that also saw him get limited minutes in 17 SHL games (1 goal). Multitool player with a good motor. Offensive upside is questionable. Should see more SHL action next year and become a shutdown WJC candidate.

All just guesswork, but these were the guys at the various junctures who most felt like picks this staff would lean towards.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My predictions for the draft:

A lot of GMs will look for the kind of players they see on whatever team wins the Cup this year.

Some smaller, skilled winger and some smaller skilled defenseman will drop "unexpectedly".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad