2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Are you sure it’s the same money? I know he will burn a year of his elc either way but I would expect his salary for the 1st year would be pro rated for the time he is actually on the team. So, if I’m right, it is still costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars to go back to school.
Salary is based on games, but you can do what Anaheim did with Gauthier and give them a massive signing bonus to partially make up for not having the game salary.

I think the by far most likely scenario is Celebrini plays the whole year with the Sharks and Smith goes back to BC and signs after their season is over. I think Celebrini has very good chance of earning performance bonuses and unless BU totally flames out, he wouldn't be able to burn a year of his ELC.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Salary is based on games, but you can do what Anaheim did with Gauthier and give them a massive signing bonus to partially make up for not having the game salary.

I think the by far most likely scenario is Celebrini plays the whole year with the Sharks and Smith goes back to BC and signs after their season is over. I think Celebrini has very good chance of earning performance bonuses and unless BU totally flames out, he wouldn't be able to burn a year of his ELC.

I could be wrong here, but I’d be shocked if the pay was tied to actually playing in the games. If the player is rostered to the NHL team they should be collecting their NHL pay rate, whether or not they actually play in a game.

Now, if the club is paper-transacting demotions/promotions to and from the NHL/AHL for cap reasons I could see that affecting the players pay.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I could be wrong here, but I’d be shocked if the pay was tied to actually playing in the games. If the player is rostered to the NHL team they should be collecting their NHL pay rate, whether or not they actually play in a game.

Now, if the club is paper-transacting demotions/promotions to and from the NHL/AHL for cap reasons I could see that affecting the players pay.
Yes, that's what I meant. Number of games on the NHL/AHL roster at a set rate per game, with the AHL salary being significantly less.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

$95,000 isn't a massive signing bonus. It's the signing bonus most ELC come with.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Regardless of the year he joins. Celebrini's second contract will probably be in the realm of whatever Bedard signs for. I get wanting to push him back a bit, but within 3-4 years he's likely going to be a franchise player and will get what the most similar comparable recently did.

I thought delaying Smith's ELC a year could be good, but realistically having Smith sign after 2 years and a month at 22 probably is going to result in a better deal than 23 with 3 years of experience and an extra year of development.

Bring em both in, and grab them each a quality winger to play with. Maybe Couture and Musty as their left wings and two UFA/trade acquisitions? Three rookies+Eklund+Graf is a pretty young forward core. Maybe we don't bring up all three at once, but it seems like all are pretty close and too good/soon will be too good for their current leagues.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Would be neat to see a top 6. And even if they are bad it would still be entertaining to watch.

Graf, Eklund, Musty, Celebrini, Bystetd, (Gushchin, Edstrom, Couture, Bordeleau).

Edited because I forgot Smith and Granlund

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Salary is based on roster days, not games.

Signing bonuses for ELCs are limited to 10% of the total NHL salary for the year, and that's what most decent prospects get. Celebrini will get a $97,500 signing bonus, which is $10,000 more than Jake Furlong got.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Are you sure it’s the same money? I know he will burn a year of his elc either way but I would expect his salary for the 1st year would be pro rated for the time he is actually on the team. So, if I’m right, it is still costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars to go back to school.
Also depends what sort of NIL deals they're getting. Won't pretend that they're getting the same types of deals as their football and basketball contemporaries (where they'd each command 7 figures a year), but I would imagine that they're making low-mid 6 figures in college.

Reactions: coooldude

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

God, I’m not sure. Just thinking like Smith here… if a week ago I was The Future of the Franchise, and then Celebrini gets drafted and is going to play… I feel like my competitive athlete ego would be like, hell no I’m not letting him take over the team before I get in there!

I think if Smith does well at the tournament and Celebrini decides to sign, Smith will come too. That feels like an opportunity he can’t miss.

On the other hand, if Celebrini goes back to school, I think Smith goes back too (unless the aforementioned competitive athlete ego makes him go… hmmm I can put my stamp on the Sharks before Celebrini gets here…)

Either way, I think Grier’s sell is simply: the time for the new generation of Sharks is now, come play with us together, you’ll get to be around guys like Couture and Granlund, I’ll sign/trade for some good supporting staff, and fans are going to flock to watch you two play. Plus, money and signing bonuses. Go, ninja, go.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Let’s not forget these guys don’t need money immediately by any means. They come from very very rich families that allowed them to get to this point anyways. Of course they want to make money, but they will get millions wether today or tomorrow

Reactions: one2gamble

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Celebrini being 17 makes me want him to stay in NCAA for another year. He probably needs some more physical development before playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Celebrini being 17 makes me want him to stay in NCAA for another year. He probably needs some more physical development before playing in the NHL.
He just won the Hobey Baker...

This take (and you're far from the only one who has it) makes me feel like I'm going insane. Who's the last forward taken No. 1 overall who didn't immediately play in the NHL? Even busts like Slafkovsky and Yakupov played right away and Celebrini is a vastly superior prospect.

Celebrini needs more physical development? Have you seen Connor Bedard?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Also depends what sort of NIL deals they're getting. Won't pretend that they're getting the same types of deals as their football and basketball contemporaries (where they'd each command 7 figures a year), but I would imagine that they're making low-mid 6 figures in college.
I don't know what NHL endorsement money is like or how many players get it, but I have to imagine a #1 overall pick would be able to lock down some endorsement deals worth more than they'd get in College + NIL if money is the deciding factor. But again, no idea how many players are actually getting decent endorsement money

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

This take (and you're far from the only one who has it) makes me feel like I'm going insane. Who's the last forward taken No. 1 overall who didn't immediately play in the NHL? Even busts like Slafkovsky and Yakupov played right away and Celebrini is a vastly superior prospect.

Not to mention Celebrini literally has a trainer father who I’m sure has made sure he’s at peak form. I’m not worried about his physical development, he’s ready now.

That fact is actually really exciting - if the kid is this strong and fast at this age, I can only imagine the things he’s going to do when he’s 23, particularly with his dad/star basketball players as his guides in physical fitness. It’s a pretty wild thing.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013

He can still grow taller. His bones are probably still growing. Probably getting hit lots of times won't help his physical development. Getting him more maturity physically and mentally would be good. Giving millions to a 17 year old is kind of risky. Ultimately, it is his choice and his dad seems to be well informed of what would be best for him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
At 17 he is 6'0 and 190lbs. He is big enough already for the NHL and still lots of room to grow even if he stopped actual growing.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'd take Justin Poirier with either of our 2nds. Guy scores goals. He's small (5'7) but built a little heavy. 51 goals in 68 games as a draft eligible.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't know what NHL endorsement money is like or how many players get it, but I have to imagine a #1 overall pick would be able to lock down some endorsement deals worth more than they'd get in College + NIL if money is the deciding factor. But again, no idea how many players are actually getting decent endorsement money
Not saying that the NIL money is equivalent, but rather that it isn't a difference of getting nothing versus getting over a million dollars.

Let’s not forget these guys don’t need money immediately by any means. They come from very very rich families that allowed them to get to this point anyways. Of course they want to make money, but they will get millions wether today or tomorrow
Because everyone wants to live off their mom and dad and have to ask for money/things all the time when they could have access to their own millions and not have to answer for what they buy with it or ask permission, right?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It would be utterly idiotic for the Sharks to even consider sending Celebrini and Smith back for another year and every public statement from Mike Grier has indicated as much.

The ONLY reason either of them should go back to college is if it's what they want.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
He can still grow taller. His bones are probably still growing. Probably getting hit lots of times won't help his physical development. Getting him more maturity physically and mentally would be good. Giving millions to a 17 year old is kind of risky. Ultimately, it is his choice and his dad seems to be well informed of what would be best for him.
I dunno, trees that grow in the wind have stronger branches than those that don't... Perhaps getting hit will cause his physical development to go into overdrive. Then Rick hooks him up with some Gamma rays and the next thing you know we're calling him The Incredible Hulkibrini...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It would be utterly idiotic for the Sharks to even consider sending Celebrini and Smith back for another year and every public statement from Mike Grier has indicated as much.

The ONLY reason either of them should go back to college is if it's what they want.

Yeah I think Grier has been VERY clear that he thinks theyre ready. It’s their choice to make I think.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is Slafkovsky really viewed as a bust? Dude was heating up towards the end of the year, and in his 19y/o season and ended up with 20G/30A on a terrible montreal team
I honestly had no idea he scored 20 goals this year. Shows how much I pay attention to the Habs. Celebrini still in a completely different tier though.

Reactions: fasterthanlight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad